Things I Will Not Miss

Interesting. Do you know if it's required or just window dressing? Having retired three years ago, my recollections of S-Ox was that is was only required by companies publicly traded on US exchanges. That would let the feds off the hook but they might like to appear "compliant". It's also possible that I have managed to forget my most unpleasant experiences.
SoX doesn't apply to the Feds but they have a somewhat equivalent structure under law and regulation overseen (by and large) by the same groups of external auditors that plague the private sector.

I also will not miss the phrases I hear every year at budget time - "do more with less" and "the bar has been raised". I am pretty sure I must be doing everything with nothing by now. And I have simply given up looking for the bar. I think I lost sight of that about 5 years ago.

LOL... I remember hearing this from some newly minted boss... he was young and did not know how stupid this sounds... he said we should be more efficient than last year...

I replied back that since there were NO investments in anything to make me more efficient, just adding one more year to my work history will not cut it...

Since people are putting phrases out there... we all got T shirts with the new catch phrase for our group... 4 words... two on each arm sleave..

"Better, Faster Easier, Cheaper"...

NOW, women... what would YOU think others would think of you wearing this T shirt :ROFLMAO:

Since people are putting phrases out there...

office-space-goodforthecompany.png

Since people are putting phrases out there... we all got T shirts with the new catch phrase for our group... 4 words... two on each arm sleave..

NOW, women... what would YOU think others would think of you wearing this T shirt :ROFLMAO:

Wow, cluesslessness on parade.

We used to have morning module meetings (and I believe the other shift had them, too) wherein anywhere from ten to twenty-five people sat around for an hour, explaining an outdated lot hold/machine down report to a module manager who didn't know the difference between a microchip and a potato chip. This meeting was replicated in every fab, by every process module, corporation-wide.

Try explaining software intricacies to a PHB who is afraid of computers and dislikes female techies.

Ah, I just had to share this one:

Over a year ago I worked on a project that you read about in the news. It required countless hours of (uncompensated) overtime, tons of stress, and lots of career risk if it did not go well. We never got so much as a thank you, but I wrote it off as a contribution to the greater good/organizational mission and stomped down my resentment.

I got an email today asking for my t shirt size. They have decided to hand out a comemorative t shirt and certificate to those of us who worked on the project. WTF?

And they cannot fathom why morale is in the sub basement.

Over a year ago I worked on a project that you read about in the news. It required countless hours of (uncompensated) overtime, tons of stress, and lots of career risk if it did not go well. We never got so much as a thank you, but I wrote it off as a contribution to the greater good/organizational mission and stomped down my resentment.

I got an email today asking for my t shirt size. They have decided to hand out a comemorative t shirt and certificate to those of us who worked on the project. WTF?

For one project they offered mugs, but we had to pay for them. Are your shirts free?

Thus far, they have not asked for payment. Actually, I am wondering what it would fetch on Ebay.

Texas Proud posted---Since people are putting phrases out there... we all got T shirts with the new catch phrase for our group... 4 words... two on each arm sleave..

NOW, women... what would YOU think others would think of you wearing this T shirt

Well I can't answer for that T shirt---but we got one that said "Just Ask"

The shirt went straight to the rag bag for a cleaning rag---fortunately no one asked me about the shirt, because I might have answered!

Thus far, they have not asked for payment. Actually, I am wondering what it would fetch on Ebay.
There are far more satisfying ways to enjoy this t-shirt than financial ones.
1. Does your spouse want the commemorative t-shirt?
2. Would this be free clothing for fast-growing kids?
3. Could you have one of your own commentaries silk-screened on the rest of the t-shirt?
4. Is there anyone else at the company who needs one of those t-shirts with your own commentary added to it?
5. How in the world does your employer expect to keep this out of Dilbert or the NYT?

Actually, I was thinking of silk screening "the beatings will continue until morale improves" on the back.

Been retired a year. Even if it's something recreational, I still try to time it so I don't wake to an alarm clock. Once I had to set it to catch a flight....and I had forgotten how! It was wonderfult to realize that....I still wake early but when my BODY is ready!

At least you can wear the T-shirt or use it to clean your windows. What are you supposed to do with those cheap acrylic trophies you get for " a job well done"? Only 3 more days to go...

At least you can wearthea T-shirt or at least use it to clean your windows. What are you supposed to do with those cheap acrylic trophies you get for " a job well done"? Only 3 more days to go...

You lucky bastard.

Three More Days !!!
FireDreamer, have you got a silly smile on your face?
Steve

You lucky bastard.

I know it!:D

Stevewc said:
Three More Days !!!
FireDreamer, have you got a silly smile on your face?

Not yet! My office is all cleaned out, but I still have to tie too many loose ends to really enjoy the moment. It should start to hit me next week though!

For one project they offered mugs, but we had to pay for them. Are your shirts free?

In 1985 I gave up a number of MY weekends (10-12) working 10-12+ hour days doing software work Saturdays and Sundays that allowed the company to cut-over to hardware that allowed the company to get an investment tax credit (the amount of which I am unaware) that had to be installed before Dec 31, 1985 in order to qualify for the credit. Of course I had to continue to perform my regular Monday - Friday duties during this time. The reward: a lunch at Baby Does Matchless Mine in Dallas (a nice place for lunch at the time), a coffee cup with the company logo and a small plaque that said something like "Thanks For A Job Well Done".

At least they didn't charge us for the lunch and plaque -- well, it didn't show up on any check.

A few years back someone actually sold one of our "company rewards" on EBay for about $30. We were all pretty amazed that 1) someone would have the guts to do it and 2) someone would actually buy it.....

Reminds me of a CFO I worked with (but never reported to) that said after a tough quarterly performance review “This would be such a great place to work if it weren’t for customers that bitched about everything and employees that whined all the time. Why don’t they all just shut up and stop bothering me”. Kinda think he would fit right in where Brewer works...

Gotta admit, though, that a one year late t-shirt is pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom