What's Your YTD Return?

Well, I would not be mad! I think mine is less than 5%.

Someone here a few weeks ago was stating his YTD return which also included his savings for that year into his portfolio! He was over 15% - We were all wondering which horse he bet on - literally :D

Someone here a few weeks ago was stating his YTD return which also included his savings for that year into his portfolio!  He was over 15% - We were all wondering which horse he bet on - literally :D
I think that was me. Why is that hard to believe? I think it is average at best. Many people here have stated they save 30% or more of their income. If they have a starting networth of $100K and end up with $130K, that's a 30% growth not even counting investment earnings.

This year my "investment" return has been 5.56%, but my "net worth growth" has been 17.86%.

This year my "investment" return has been 5.56%, but my "net worth growth" has been 17.86%.

That's fair. As long as you call ot Net worth growth, everyone knows what your talking about.

But if you say you had a return of 17.86%, that would raise a few questions. ;)

My coffeehouse portfolio is up 9.83% as of 11/18.

I lucked out by jumping into REIT and Inflation
Protection this spring after the big sell off. This
probably added 1+ % to the total return. Otherwise,
I would have been in the middle of the pack of
Vanguard's 60/40 balanced funds.

Cheers,

Charlie

I'm up about 8% if I exclude real estate. If I had to make a guess on my real estate appreciation this year (outside of my home), I'd guess about +25%. If my guess and my math is right, that means a net YTD gain of 13.6%.

According to quicken, 6.16% for the year.

I don't count home appreciation, I can't eat the house, and if I did try to eat the roof, we'd get wet when it rains. ;)

7.6% aggregate on stocks/bonds through 11/9. S&P 500 is up about 1.6% since 11/9, so aggregate would be up some since last check. As a class, international equities doing the best. I didn't include REIT, have not held it the full period.

Hmmm - don't know, don't really care since I'm 12 yrs into ER as of this jan. But do care about taxes on cap gains(merger) and dividends/interest so I usually look at asset allocation around tax time. Mr Market/net worth is not as important as income streams and of course taxable events. Don't count real estate since I have no plans to sell two very small timber plots plus fish camp plus patented gold mine.

One stock at a time in my DRIPs and never rebalance. I also swag them as an imcome stream(dividends) not as net worth or assets when playing with FIREcalc.

MSN Money portfolio tracker shows YTD return of 5.0%. That includes all my financial assets, including checking and savings accounts and money market mutual fund. My long term average annual return (1986 - today) is 11.5%.

Grumpy

Im up around 9.5% this year.

50% fixed at around 5%
35% stock mutual funds. 9.5%
15% individual stocks 25%

I had some individual stocks really take off this year. Thanks to tanker and energy stocks. My overall net worth is up around 20% due to saving a large part of my income with the plan on ER next spring.

I also recently sold off a large part of my individual stocks and paid down my mortgage. I did this around a month ago. Of coarse everything is up that I sold.

Well, you all know I am 100% CDs, MMs, bonds and
bond funds, so.....................outside of real estate and any income appreciation there, I have been getting about 7-8%. I am happy with this (no equities
exposure). However, I just sold some real estate and had a bond called, so I have some cash and no idea
where to put it. It's a nice problem to have I guess.

John Galt

I had originally thought that my YTD return was under 5%, but I reviewed my Quicken Files this morning after seeing the others returns and found out that I had some problems with my saved reports in Quicken. I had neglected to include some accounts such as my New Vanguard REIT fund etc.

My portfolio is actually doing much better than I thought. It's up 11.2% YTD so far. I did not include my wife's company stock which is up 65% this year (from the price we bought it at). I do not intend to hold this that long and will roll over the stock to the bond portion next year.

The 11.2% does not include the real estate gains (outside my home) - Which is up over 25% this year. But that's just a guess.

YTD for long-term accounts:
1 year - 10.14%
5 year - 4.36% - I started my investing lessons on all bonds and GIC portfolio and I guess I took some beatings in the past few years.

This does not include gain in property value, short-term accounts and my ING savings account. I don't usually track these accounts since property value nowadays is out-of-whack and short-term investment is well, short-term.

Jane

My 401K is up at around 10.2%. My CD is only at 3.3%, money market 2%.

I took a loan from my 401K to fund a business which is on negative territory right now. Although the Real Estate part of the business grew 35%. My home value grew 15% this year.

Hoping to retire in 10 years... ;)

Retirement portfolio: +8.4% (>90% equities).
Kid's college fund: +13.8% (+18.5% without the 13% EE bonds).
Personal "brilliant investor" portfolio: -22%, mostly thanks to shorting Kmart.
Mortgage down to 5.5%.
Home equity: +30% according to the tax assessment, more than that according to the realtors.

9.3% ex real estate, with taking below average risk...for example, my current cash holdings are 25%.

Doubt that next year will offer similar returns as I can't find much of value at current prices.

Hey Cut-Throat, you have got me worried man!
How could you be that far off on the return on
your investments? I know my situation is pretty
simple, but still...............Hey! I found a place for my
excess cash. Long term corp. notes, rated just over
"junk status". 7%.............I can live with that on my
"forever" money.

John Galt

your investments?

Probably because I moved a lot of money around this year. Sold all my individual Stocks excepts my wife's co stock. Opened all the Vanguard Accounts. - So my accounts were all new to me this year. Also most all the gain came from 10% of the portfoilo is in the Wife's company stock which gained 65% for us this year. I actually don't look at this like my retirement portfoilo, because I plan on holding no individual stocks.

I really don't spend a lot of time tracking YTD return. Investing is not one of my hobbies. That is why the index fund approach appeals to me. I can just go fishing :)

the gain in my 401k mutual funds was 8.6% before today's skid. unlike today, i didn't own much in the way of DRIPS at the start of this year 3%>. the big Wal-Mart is up like 6% this year. so according to my spreadsheets my "bread and butter" portfoio approx. 90% of my worth, is up 80.67%, and since jan. 2001 i'm up 1,387%. now mind you, that gain is on a beginning portfolio of less than $10,000 ::) i'd rather have a gain of 8% on a portfolio of $1,000,000 than my gain of 80% on my beginning portfolio of about $70,000 ;) oh well, i'll be there some day i hope

I just started a spreadsheet this month to track my net worth. It's simple and I only list five things on there.....individual stocks, index funds, cash/money market, Roth IRA, and TSP.

Maybe a year from now I could give out my returns when I figure them out.

Here is how I track my net worth, and I do it
compulsively. I reach into the nearest wastebasket and find a piece of paper without printing/writing on one side. It should be at least the size if a No. 10 envelope. Then, I find a working pen or pencil. I list all assets and subtract
any liabilities. My net worth appears.
I don't save it anywhere cause I can do it again
anytime in 5 minutes :)

BTW, I continue to invest in long term bonds
including some junk, but this is all "forever" money.
I hate watching the NAV bounce around as interest rates change, but I need the income and CDs/MMs
ain't makin' it for me these days.

John Galt

your investments?  I know my situation is pretty
simple, but still...............Hey!  I found a place for my
excess cash.  Long term corp. notes, rated just over
"junk status".  7%.............I can live with that on my
"forever" money.

John Galt

Aren't you a little leary of a company that would currently pay 7% to borrow money?

Whenever I hear something like this I am reminded of the saying "More money has been lost chasing yield than at the end of a gun barrel"

This to me sounds more risky than investing in a stock index fund :confused:

Back
Top Bottom