Wife is Pregnant!

ATC Guy

Recycles dryer sheets
Found out about 3 hours ago! We've been trying but this is our first and my mind is having a tough time wrapping itself around this whole situation but I am elated! I come here today for advice, mostly financial, but I'm open for any and all! I am active duty AF so medical care for my wife will be virtually free through, during, and after the pregnancy as well as for the child. I have $400k life insurance and about $5,000 in savings. We are both 25.

Any and all advice welcome. How much do I need to save before the baby gets here? I'm sure we will have a baby shower with family at some point. We live below our means now and save regularly. I get a $500/mo pay raise next month for time in service.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Well, how did that happen.... >:D

Congrats!!!

Also our only debt is in student loans which we are paying down each month.

Congratulations ATC Guy!. My daughter and her navy special forces husband are pregnant with their first too! Due in October.
How much to save? As much as you can and don't forget to start that college/education fund immediately after baby is born!
Try to refrain from buying lots of cute newborn stuff. They can't wear it after a month or so! Cribs and baby furniture buy used or at Target. I understand they have a nice crib/dresser/rocker set for $600.

Congrats...save as much as you can and open college savings 529 plan as soon as baby gets SS no. I deposited 25K initially and then automated about 250/month. It feels great when you know your child's education is secured!

Awesome news! Will post any advice I can think of later - for now just congrats!

Congratulations. And enjoy the new baby smell when he/she is an infant. It's much better than the new car smell. There's something wonderful about the smell of a newborn's head.

Also - don't believe the "sleep when the baby sleeps" mantra. Newborns sleep in 15 minute increments... most adults can't fall asleep that quick - so it's a stupid saying... Plan on giving your wife 4 hour blocks (or more) for her to get uninterrupted sleep. It will be good for your wife, and good for you to be a hands on dad and bond with the baby.

Congratulations ATC Guy!. My daughter and her navy special forces husband are pregnant with their first too! Due in October.
How much to save? As much as you can and don't forget to start that college/education fund immediately after baby is born!
Try to refrain from buying lots of cute newborn stuff. They can't wear it after a month or so! Cribs and baby furniture buy used or at Target. I understand they have a nice crib/dresser/rocker set for $600.

At our Goodwill, onesies are 50 cents each. No need to buy fancy ones since they just spit up on them and have to be changed and washed so much anyway. Just one way to save a little money.

ATC guy took ER as meaning retiring early to bed, and look at what happened when you do that. Congratulation though.

At our Goodwill, onesies are 50 cents each. No need to buy fancy ones since they just spit up on them and have to be changed and washed so much anyway. Just one way to save a little money.

AND they grow out of everything SO FAST. It is amazing how quick they grow.

ATC Guy. Here is Stevie Wonder singing with sheer joy about his new daughter, Aisha. I know you'll be equally ecstatic with a son or daughter. Congratulations and best wishes.

Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely - YouTube

Congratulations!!!

It seemed for us that you need to cover your initial stuff for the room in one fell swoop. After that we were good with a reasonable monthly budget amount. Until college comes. If you plan to pay for college you need to start early on that, including where and howmuch.

Congratulations! It is always nice to hear good news.

Congrats. Bump up that life insurance and get some on her.

I wouldn't worry about the stuff side. People will give you lots, they don't really need much, and yard sales and thrift stores are options. That said, if you have the room, get a comfortable glider. You will spend some time in that chair.

Congrats, ATC guy. In addition to Goodwill, Craigslist is a great source for used baby items at a fraction of their new price. Especially furniture and clothes. Tag sales also, but you need to be there first thing to get a good selection.

Congratulations! I hope your baby will be healthy and happy.

Congratulations. For our first baby I bought everything needed then got duplicates of everything in gifts and showers. So my advice would be to hold off buying things (or at least keep the receipts) until you see what other people might pass along to you second hand or give as presents, especially if there are future grandparents around.

Congrats as well. It is a truly exciting and very special experience.

Back
Top Bottom