Will the young dreamers chances of ER depend on a market drop?

wildcat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just a thought and I guess it largely depends on how old you are where you stand in terms of retired or not retired. Shouldn't we hope for a nice drop in the markets? As for me I do b/c it means I have a chance to pick up equities at low prices. Seems to me it would speed up my chances for early retirement if I had the opportunity to buy cheap like I am sure many of you all had back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Are my ER chances pretty much a product of my investment accumulation environment? I think so to some degree but the floor is now open for debate.

Well, you're right if you are buying stocks. Instead of Selling.

A younger person on this forum was lamenting seeing his 401K drop this year. It's actually what he should want to happen. For the reasons you stated.

Bear while working, Bull when retired.

By far, the biggest driver of time to ER is how much you save and how little you need to live on. Investment returns matter, but not neary as much as LBYM and socking lots away. I'd be happy to see a market decline, but I don't need it to get to ER. In any case, I am a stock picker, so I don't need a general market decline to buy stuff on the cheap.

Not for me. I blew a lot of money. The 94-99 run up made me my money, and getting the hell out in 00 let me keep it.

Lucky twice.

If you are DCAing over the accumulation phase, and can stick with the plan, yes, a bear market will allow you to buy low. Key is to be able to continue investing while the balance in your accout drops. Easy to say, hard to do, very hard to do when there is a significant drop and the bad news that goes along with.

Need to have a written plan, and stick with it!

Uncledrz

the biggest driver of time to ER is how much you save and how little you need to live on

True, but I would just like to see all the money I sock away enjoy nice returns. But only variables I can control is what you mentioned.

My ER plan does require returns during accumulation, otherwise I'm trapped in the cube farm several more years. :(

I'll have saved about 1.1 mil by 45, but I need some interest on those returns, as I'd like to have 1.6 to 2 by then to safely retire! Maybe I'm too optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom