Can we stop the Ads by Google ???

I have seen the google ads and I can't imagine anyone not realizing they are ads, Emeritus. Surely you are smart enough to tell an ad from a message text?

I have seen the google ads and I can't imagine anyone not realizing they are ads, Emeritus. Surely you are smart enough to tell an ad from a message text?

I agree. I logged off a short while ago to see what all the fuss was about and it is [-]bleeding[/-] obvious that they are ads and not message text.

If a member tries putting ads in his posts he will quickly become an ex-member.

Like an attorney offering members advice regarding serious legal and ethical matters? :LOL:

As an attorney (admittedly only admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court and all inferior courts of merely one state), I see serious legal and ethical matters regarding pointing out serious legal and ethical matters on the internet.

Mods snipped my post?! Where is your sense of humor?

Ah, well, figured it would not pass muster.

Comment on that which had already been amply demonstrated was simply redundant.

Whether the reader is logged in or not, IMHO putting material into a post, which make it appear to be part of the post, raises serious legal and ethical issues.

Would you elaborate on exactly what those "serious legal and ethical issues" are? I seem to have missed that part.

Would you elaborate on exactly what those "serious legal and ethical issues" are? I seem to have missed that part.

It's called false attribution of authorship. Anytime a person inserts a message into someone else's communication it gives the impression of authorship or permission cf

the rights against false attribution of authorship
- the author has the right not to have their work attributed falsely to someone else and not to have an altered work attributed as unalteredhttp://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/eppr/information/ifmpr007/guidelines.html

I can go into this at greater depth if anyone is intersted

I agree. I logged off a short while ago to see what all the fuss was about and it is [-]bleeding[/-] obvious that they are ads and not message text.

If a member tries putting ads in his posts he will quickly become an ex-member.

and if someone else puts ads in my post what happens?

Cats and dogs may begin sleeping together!

Your post raises "serious legal and ethical issues" since I think that kind of bestiality is still illegal in your state. I can't cite any laws from Australia to prove this, but perhaps other more helpful posters can assist.

It's called false attribution of authorship. Anytime a person inserts a message into someone else's communication it gives the impression of authorship or permission cf

the rights against false attribution of authorship
- the author has the right not to have their work attributed falsely to someone else and not to have an altered work attributed as unalteredhttp://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/eppr/information/ifmpr007/guidelines.html

I can go into this at greater depth if anyone is intersted

Emeritus, I believe that attribution rights is more of an issue under some foreign copyright laws, not the US, except for the visual arts.

In any event, I personally don't think the ads create the impression that the poster is the author of the ads nor do the ads look like they are altering the message of the poster.

(And of course, neither of us are giving legal advice.)

Oh, our Terms of Service (linked to at the bottom of the forum's pages) says in part:

Content Posted By Members

By posting content on the Websites you warrant that you are the creator and owner of the posted content, or that you have obtained prior written consent to post said content from a third party owner. When posting content originating from any third party, you agree to conspicuously post the name of said third party adjacent to said posted content. By posting content on the Websites, you also grant, and warrant that you have the authority to grant, the Company a limited license to display, reproduce, modify, and use any text, image, video, music, or any other content that you post on the Websites.

(I bolded the relevant text)

I think the best solution is for anyone truly concerned about these issues is to stop posting here immediately.

Especially after Sarah & Fuego gave this thread that head-wrenching hijack...

I have yet to see any of these people who complain about ads, or this or that, start their own forum. It could be perfect, and perfectly legal.

-ERD50

Emeritus, I believe that attribution rights is more of an issue under some foreign copyright laws, not the US, except for the visual arts.

Probably correct. The website the good professor quoted to support his argument is the government in Queensland, Australia.

Guidelines on Moral Rights

Those ads don't cause me any concern

Eat at Joe's - For Serious legal and ethical issue discussions

Except when they mislead people.

Wait, Cuppa Joe opened up a restaurant in Queensland?

Put another shrimp on the barbie for me!

Eat at Joe's - For Serious legal and ethical issue discussions

Except when they mislead people.

You forgot:

AND GET GAS, TOO!

Back
Top Bottom