capturing thread discussion to a text file

DEC-1982

Full time employment: Posting here.
Is there a way to capture all the posts in a particular thread?

I was looking at a discussion yesterday and today about dental plan insurance, and I will face the same problem next year. It was an informative discussion. I would like to capture the discussion in a text file so that I can share it with DW, rather than force her to look at it when I am logged in (well, I don't HAVE to be logged in for her to see it). I suppose I could print it to a pdf file in Windows 10; I read somewhere that is possible or will be possible soon (for W10).

Is there a way to capture all the posts in a particular thread?

I was looking at a discussion yesterday and today about dental plan insurance, and I will face the same problem next year. It was an informative discussion. I would like to capture the discussion in a text file so that I can share it with DW, rather than force her to look at it when I am logged in (well, I don't HAVE to be logged in for her to see it). I suppose I could print it to a pdf file in Windows 10; I read somewhere that is possible or will be possible soon (for W10).

You can do that today. download pdf995. When you print, select "pdf995" as the printer and it will create a PDF file instead of sending it to a real printer.

Use the Thread Tool drop down at the top of the page to get a printable version

You try this method see if works for you

At the top of the thread, click tools, then show printable version.
You can then select to show up to 100 post on a single page.
You can select all and copy to word or notepad. Repeat if the post count > 100

Use the Thread Tool drop down at the top of the page to get a printable version

Learn something new everyday! I didn't know one could do that. Handy at some point.

Great suggestions, people. The Printable Version in "Thread Tools" works for me. I will also look into the pdf995, since it may be handy for other situations. Thanks a lot.

It's remarkable to me that some people are just now learning the value of a 'print to pdf' function.

This has been built in to the Apple Mac OS for as long as I can remember, and built into Linux as long as I have been using it (2009), and I assume much longer.

I use it very often, I tend to be able to find things on my computer faster than I can find a printed version. I save all sorts of stuff to pdf. And with it being electronic, it's easily backed up.

Windows users still need to use a third party app for this? In 2015? :facepalm:

-ERD50

All MS office products have had export to pdf for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This is new to me. My thanks.

I usually either copy-and-paste or alt-printscreen and paste to a new Word document if I can't ctl-p and print the page.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

All MS office products have had export to pdf for a while now.

Too little, too late.

It's much more valuable when it is system wide, rather than limited to specific apps.

-ERD50

I can print anything to a pdf file on my Windows computer and have done so for several years (I save online bill payment confirmations as print to pdfs--not "printing" them, of course). It is not app specific--it is just a choice when I hit control p. No pdfing program needed.

Last edited:
I can print anything to a pdf file on my Windows computer and have done so for several years (I save online bill payment confirmations as print to pdfs--not "printing" them, of course). It is not app specific--it is just a choice when I hit control p. No pdfing program needed.

Good to hear. But this subject has come up occasionally over the years, and the responses always seem the same as we got earlier in this thread - 'you need an app', 'you can do it in MS Office w/o the 3rd party app', and general amazement over the idea that you could 'print to pdf'.

I use Windows very seldom, so I don't know why some are unaware of a built in print to pdf function, or why others are suggesting you need an app, or that it only works natively in Office? Seems to be a lot of confusion - different versions of Win?

edit/update:

I got curious enough to try to answer my own question:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/print-to-pdf-in-windows-10/

In previous versions of Windows, creating a PDF is not quite as straightforward -- though many programs have "Save as PDF" or "Print to PDF" built-in (for example, Google Chrome). Windows 10's new Print to PDF feature is significant because it's independent of a specific program, which means it will work in any program that you can print from.

So yes, if you've been doing it for several years (pre-W10), then it was because your app supported it. So someone else with a different browser/app may require the 3rd party add on. That's the beauty of having the function built into the OS. Just do it - no ifs/and/buts.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I use Windows very seldom, so I don't know why some are unaware of a built in print to pdf function, or why others are suggesting you need an app, or that it only works natively in Office? Seems to be a lot of confusion - different versions of Win?

-ERD50

There is no built in function in windows. CTRL+P only works if the app or window understands the shortcut. Chrome has PDF printing built in their print dialog. With IE and firefox CTRL+P opens the windows print dialog box. And of course it is different in each version of windows. 10 finally did build in print to PDF in the windows print dialog, "Microsoft Print to PDF"

https://www.thurrott.com/uncategorized/5320/windows-10-tip-print-to-pdf

Linux starting using the CUPS printing system around 2000 which replaced the LPD system. OSX also uses CUPS. The CUPS PDF driver came out around 2002 or so.

I use a Windows machine for billpaying, I 've never had to do anything other than hit control p to be able to print to pdf for a long time, I guess I don't really care how it happens. Unix Linux and Apple are obviously better.

I use a Windows machine for billpaying, I 've never had to do anything other than hit control p to be able to print to pdf for a long time, I guess I don't really care how it happens. ...

I understand, but it does make a difference in a forum like this. So when you say 'it works for me', it may not work for that other poster, because if it isn't system wide, it is dependent on the app you use. So you might need to go into the next level of detail, like 'It works for me with CNTRL-P using Chrome Browser ver xx.xx.xx in Win version-whatever".

But if it is system-wide, all you need to know is the OS. And for Apple and Linux, it's been system-wide so long that only the Amish are on versions that don't include print-to-pdf system-wide.

Unix Linux and Apple are obviously better.

There's obviously pros/cons to each. In fact, I've been thinking of starting a thread on my latest OSX upgrade for my DD's macbook.

But in this area of 'print-to-pdf' functionality, clearly Linux and Apple are objectively better, and have been for a very long time. It's odd that MS could be that far behind in something that is so useful to the user.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Pretty sure I didn't say it works for anyone but me. I imagine other posters are smart enough to see what works for them. But never mind.

I use a Windows machine for billpaying, I 've never had to do anything other than hit control p to be able to print to pdf for a long time, I guess I don't really care how it happens. Unix Linux and Apple are obviously better.

Some software has print to PDFs as an option. Also possible the computer came with Acrobat. Some dell systems had it in business machine models.

I also happened to Google for "windows 10 print to pdf" yesterday, and discovered, as mentioned by rbmrtn, this is now supported. When you print, in the drop-down for printers, one "new" printer name shows "Microsoft print to pdf". I tested it and it worked quite nicely.

Some software has print to PDFs as an option. Also possible the computer came with Acrobat. Some dell systems had it in business machine models.

Many here use quicken/quickbooks and it installs its own PDF printer than can be used like any printer. Some printers/scanners/MFC devices also install this feature with their software. I have used CutePDF on windows PCs for a long time, its free and works well. CutePDF - Convert to PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily.

Back
Top Bottom