Dear Administrators

kat

Full time employment: Posting here.
If you want to send me a message, please send it to my inbox, so I can respond.

For too long, you've had an annoying little message at the top of EVERY page cajoling me to post more. Cut it out. I'm a big girl now and I can figure that out on my own.

And besides, these pages are busy enough already with ads and memos and posts.

And what are you doing keeping track of me and my posts anyway?

Thanks for listening.

kate

I've heard from two helpful mods, one who said the administrators said this is something they are doing automatcially when time passes without a post.

I really think they ought to stop. We're all grown ups here and can certainly decide when we want to say something. FYI, it's a banner type message that goes across the top of every page, cajoling you to post if time has passed without one. It's quite annoying. It made me cut visits short.

I have never experienced it before. But I agree with you, there's nothing wrong with browsing.

We've learned that this was a default "feature" of the new software, so don't take it personally. The mods will discuss this and see whether it can and ought to be removed. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The Message

Confession: I'm posting this so that the annoying message goes away for a while ....

Peter, someone who normally only opens his mouth when he feels he has something worth saying.

Im with Peter- this looks like a good place to just post to get rid of the new "feature" banner.

Thanks for the input. The message has been disabled. And Peter... it was lovely to hear from you :)

Thanks for the input. The message has been disabled.

That's great! While you're at it, would you consider enabling a special banner for people who post a lot, but really don't have anything to say?

For too long, you've had an annoying little message at the top of EVERY page cajoling me to post more. Cut it out. I'm a big girl now and I can figure that out on my own.
And besides, these pages are busy enough already with ads and memos and posts.
Thanks for pointing this out, Kate.

The fact is that we moderators & admins can be breathtakingly oblivious to the annoyances a user has to deal with. I'm not going to browse this board as a user with user's privileges, see [-]the Moderator's Bat Signal[/-] an issue requiring moderation, take the time to [-]race to the Bat Cave[/-] open up a new moderator's window, [-]put on my armored fireproof underwear[/-] log in with my password, and [-]save Gotham City[/-] deal with it. Not even REWahoo! or Martha do that. Nope, I'm just going to stay logged in as a moderator the entire time and only see what [-]I choose to[/-] the other moderators see.

In fact, since the new software was implemented I have not been exposed to a single adlink or banner any other messages besides Dory's classic "Warning: Life Decision Ahead!" graphic. So if that's what it takes to motivate a few of you experienced posters to volunteer to step up to the moderator's level then send us a PM. We can talk about overtime pay & stock options later.

And what are you doing keeping track of me and my posts anyway?
I think it's good to be able to figure out when a poster has dropped offline so that we can see how they're doing. [Wab? Leonidas? Are you guys OK? Would it disrupt your important daily schedules for you to check in once in a while?!?]

There's also a perception that post count correlates to [-]wisdom experience credibility[/-] a poster's free time. Or at least our [-]lack of[/-] time-management skills. Considering the occupants of the "Top Ten Number of Posts" list, I wouldn't miss it if the post-count displays were turned off.

I'd also like to be able to see who's on "Ignore". It would say a lot if a certain poster was on 3278 other user's ignore lists. Banning might no longer be necessary.

Thanks for listening.
Only when someone speaks up.

That's great! While you're at it, would you consider enabling a special banner for people who post a lot, but really don't have anything to say?
Yeah, thanks a lot, Sam... that's what the stars under the poster names are supposed to indicate!

Thanks for the swift response in taking care of it!

kate

Back
Top Bottom