Embarrassed about your gender or location?

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Curious as to why a surprising percent of board members here fail to include their gender and / or location in their member profile.

Certainly understand some wanting to go anonymous given the financial information we share, but it sure is interesting to know what part of the country you are in, not to mention your gender (the names around here don't always make it easy).

I would vote for folks to fill out at least that much in their profile.

I didn't load up my profile with data but that's just the way I am. Worked with lots of classified data in windowless concrete bunkers for many years.

Nowadays of course you don't let people know you actually have a "street value" of a million-or-so bucks, but it's hard to explain why you don't work so you don't do too much talkin' and keep to yourself.

I figured that pic of Chester A. Arthur pretty much says I'm "Male". My location isn't lsted but I have talked about it here at length before. It's Omaha

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Curious as to why a surprising percent of board members here fail to include their gender and / or location in their member profile.
Most people don't care. We also used to allow guests to post without registering, so many didn't have to bother.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Certainly understand some wanting to go anonymous given the financial information we share, but it sure is interesting to know what part of the country you are in, not to mention your gender (the names around here don't always make it easy).
Those who don't give the rest of us a chance to figure that out shouldn't be offended when we don't guess perfectly!

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I suspect that when we prod or poll for this info at least half of it is false.

Except for UncleMick, a 14-year-old girl posting from Missoula.

I guess I am risking some sort of stalking or whatever, but I put my name on what little I do post here.  I do this to make sure I don't put anything out on the 'net that I wouldn't say in person, or want my Mom (or boss) to read.  Keeps me honest in that regard, but makes me bite my tongue more often than not.  
Everyone who talks to me for 5 minutes knows I'm a) frugal b) saving for early retirement c) have 5 useless vicious guard dogs at the house.  But if I posted some of the more vitriolic stuff seen here, I'd probably want to be anonymous as well.   ;)  
Or it could be that I lack the imagination to make up some sort of name.  I've published a couple of boring historical articles when our family owned the tea farm in Charleston, and once got a prison pen-pal (yikes) out of being listed as a contact for tour info.  
Maybe if I had more money, I'd be more worried!  ;) ...talk to me in 10 years.
Sarah

Rich_in_Tampa said:

Rich, I am starting to wonder-- are you not only a sexist but a geographist? 

What difference could it possibly make whether one is an 87 yo man living in Moose Jaw, or a 22 yo woman living in St. Tropez? :)

Ha

HaHa said:

What difference could it possibly make whether one is an 87 yo man living in Moose Jaw, or a 22 yo woman living in St. Tropez? :)

Ha

If you have to ask, then you must be 87 :D

Sorry boys, but it was a joke.  8)

Ha

HaHa said:

Do I have to pick just one?

HaHa said:

Well, it really doesn't matter much of the time (I never mentioned age, by the way -- that's all yours). But there are tons of posts like this:

"Housing is much cheaper here than in SF..."
"Most around here don't take kindly to tree-huggers."
"Can't complain about the 27 inches of snow - it's kinda pretty."
"This part of the country is prone to..."

You get the idea. Makes you wonder where they are, and they don't say and its not in their profile. Makes it more interesting to read the posts or to ask for tips if you have travel plans.

Course your profile says "outer space" so I guess I'm explaining to the wrong guy. Or is it girl? :D

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Course your profile says "outer space" so I guess I'm explaining to the wrong guy. Or is it girl? :D

HaHa has to be a boy name.

If for no other reason than the desire to use pronouns, I like to know what sex people are.

Edit: For some reason I thought that Ed as in the Gypsy was a really young guy, and just figured out he is in his late 50s. That felt kind of weird. And I should have know he wasn't that young based on some things he has said. Not that the 50s are that old. :-[

Rich in Tampa isn't exactly a gender specific name....
unless Rich is your name that is.

virginia said:
Rich in Tampa isn't exactly a gender specific name....
unless Rich is your name that is.

Um.. Rich is my name and, for the skeptical, my profile clarifies my gender. Not sure what more I could do :confused:.

Could change it to Spike or Guido or Bob, I guess :D

Martha said:
For some reason I thought that Ed as in the Gypsy was a really young guy, and just figured out he is in his late 50s. That felt kind of weird.
Martha,
It feels weird to me, too. ;)

EDIT: Actually, I'm just very immature. I am really a 14-year-old girl from Missoula. UncleMick is my sister.

I have both my gender and my location listed if anyone cares, so, no, I'm not embarassed about my gender's location.

Gee, kate here, can ya guess about gender? How 'bout the pink tulips? :-\

Location -- close enough to my mountains, the Adirondacks, and my parents' place in the Greens.

BunsOfVeal said:
I have both my gender and my location listed if anyone cares, so, no, I'm not embarassed about my gender's location.
I just want to see your buns! ;)

Being a paranoid and suspicious kinda guy from NYC, I am surprised how much information I have put out here which also has included my age and location (but not for long).

Btw, I just noticed your avatar, should we start calling you "aunt Martha"

vagabond said:
Being a paranoid and suspicious kinda guy from NYC, I am surprised how much information I have put out here which also has included my age and location (but not for long).

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean we're not out to get you.

kate said:
Gee, kate here, can ya guess about gender? How 'bout the pink tulips? :-\

Yeah, the "pink tulips" were a good hint ;) har har har... :LOL:

justin said:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean we're not out to get you.

I know, they've been after me for years but I think i've been able to stay one step ahead or is it that i'm really 2 steps behind cause they're 2 steps ahead. 8) :duh:

Rich -
You live in Tampa  - popultion of  :confused:
I live in a small well known area.  Don't care to explain details. I need to impart my financial info more than my local.  I am careful not to impart too much personal info due to the fact that, honestly, paranoid or not, I feel that a lot of my/our personal info is so atypical that between that and our local, that it would be obvious to someone who knew us. 

Also, I hope to be able to refer friends and family to this site.  Another reason to not make my/ourselves obvious.  If it is important, we all have the ablility to PM one another PRIVATELY without the entire world looking in.  Sorry, but that is the way it is.  I would VERY much like to be more forthcoming, but I do value my privacy.  Believe me, I very much admire those who ARE forthcoming with their personal info and wish I could be moreso.  It is just very against my nature to do such a thing so publically. 

If it is private, fine ---- So, Dory, is this all private :D ?!   

If not, I shall remain,

Yours truly (as I can be)

EDTI (btw, I'm a girl!!) :eek:

Jane Doe (what better name??!)   :)

Back
Top Bottom