Feature Added: Ignore Threads

Andy R

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Based on your feedback we have added a feature that allows you to ignore individual threads. You can now add threads to your ignore list using the Thread Tools drop down member at the top of each thread (see attachment).

Once you have placed the thread in the ignore list it will not show up when you navigate into the forum where the thread is located. It will also show you a message if it's the last thread in that forum to let you know it's a discussion you have opted to ignore (see attachment).

You can manage the threads you have on your ignore list by going to your User Control Panel (UserCP) and selecting Ignored Threads from the options in the left hand column (see attachment).

Notice: This feature does not effect the portal page or some other places like searching where you might come across the same thread. I will look into extending this product so it prevents threads from showing up in the portal and search as well as adding some more ignore functionality in the future. Other ignore functionality that I would be nice to have is the ability to ignore threads by tags and ability to ignore whole sections of the site (so you can just choose to ignore the political discussions in the soap box). I cannot give you an ETA on these other components right now. I have one programmer who is busy on a project and when that's done I'll be able to guesstimate when he can work on the above.

Attachments

• ignore output.png
    ignore output.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
  • ignore threads.png
    ignore threads.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 183
  • usercp ignore threads.png
    usercp ignore threads.png
    15 KB · Views: 183
Since I realize I have been [-]nagging[/-] asking you the most about this feature, let me be the first to thank you for implementing it.

Now, let me go test it! ;)

Now, let me go test it! ;)
Tear it up. Please post your feedback here. As I stated, there are some issues with the system not hiding discussions through the portal page but I hope to get some time to figure out the tagging ignore and the whole forum ignore sections as soon as Jeff is done working on this other project.

I love this feature. So far I've tagged all the political and global warming threads.

I just wish my newspaper had a similar feature. :D

I understand how to click on a thread and ignore it.

I understand how to tag a thread and ignore the tag.

What I'd like to do is automatically ignore all threads (as well as posts) made by posters who are currently on my "Ignore Poster" list. Is there some way to do that?

Don't get me wrong, the current features are great and will reduce the workload of slogging through the "OMG breaking sky-falling NEWS!!!!!" types of posts. But I don't even want to see those threads show up in the first place when I click "New Threads".

Nords,

Right now the ignore member will hide all their posts. Are you saying you would like it to also ignore any thread they start?

Andy

Nords,

Right now the ignore member will hide all their posts. Are you saying you would like it to also ignore any thread they start?

Andy

Yes. There are some posters that have never started a thread I have been interested in, and they probably never will. So getting them completely out of my sight will make it easier for me to view the threads that interest me.

Are you saying you would like it to also ignore any thread they start?

Yes. There are some posters that have never started a thread I have been interested in, and they probably never will. So getting them completely out of my sight will make it easier for me to view the threads that interest me.

Yes, me too. Same reasons as retire@40.

Thanks!

Yep, theres a good half dozen people that I'd be fine not seeing any content from at all.

Probably the same people that are on almost everyones ignore list.

I could suggest an non-programming, virtually free option to merging the ignore list/ignore thread feature... ;)

I actually logged in today and did not see any of the political/religious threads my eye was trained to see but glance over.

I had to go back to make make sure I really didn't see them. What a joy!

This "ignore thread" option is by far the best feature on this forum. It makes me wonder why it wasn't part of the original design, but I'm happy it is now.

:angel: God Bless :D

Last edited:
Nords,
Andy
I'm not sure how I can make this much more clear, but I'll try.

To what everyone else has already said, let me add "Absolutely."

This board's software is already too slow without me having to get 125 threads back from clicking on "New Posts", only to find that over half of them are breathless updates of falling sky, up-to-the-minute headlines, and political rants from a few particularly persistent posters who appear to have little or no interest in the actual subject of ER. By the time I'm done [-]wading through the cesspool[/-] shaking out the chaff there's typically only 50 or 60 threads left.

So, yes. If you or the moderators can't ban 'em (or at least redirect them over to M* or Yahoo! Finance), then I want to be able to do the next best thing.

Andy, Janet, TechAdmin, or whoever's catching today:

"Ignore Poster" used to be a link from the poster's public profile. Today was my first addition to the list since the upgrade, and I can no longer find that link. It appears that the only way to add a poster to my "Ignore Poster" list is to directly enter their name on my list. The old linked feature was more convenient.

I already have 23 threads on my Ignore Thread list (but the day is young). A review of the names of the posters who started those threads will give an idea of why I want to be able to ignore any & all threads started by those posters.

I'm not sure how I can make this much more clear, but I'll try.

To what everyone else has already said, let me add "Absolutely."

This board's software is already too slow without me having to get 125 threads back from clicking on "New Posts", only to find that over half of them are breathless updates of falling sky, up-to-the-minute headlines, and political rants from a few particularly persistent posters who appear to have little or no interest in the actual subject of ER. By the time I'm done [-]wading through the cesspool[/-] shaking out the chaff there's typically only 50 or 60 threads left.

So, yes. If you or the moderators can't ban 'em (or at least redirect them over to M* or Yahoo! Finance), then I want to be able to do the next best thing.

Nords: I first tuned into this board in 2003. I remember, at that time, there was rarely any "sky is falling, google type posts". Basically a board that was pretty much in tuned with, the reason for this board. (Early, or late retirement).

Unfortunantly, for whatever reason, there has been a big run-up of "google" type sky is falling posters, in the last couple of years. Don't know about you, but I've got better things to do than spend a lot of time being exposed to "headlines" on this board that I ignore in my real life.

Maybe, just maybe, the posters that are inclined, for whatever reason, to post their "googled" posts will get the hint that if we wanted to spend time with that, we'd tune in to CNBC.

But I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.:)

There is another way to add someone, but maybe we could find a more intuitive way. Was the old link on the drop down menu in the avatar block?

Use the drop down menu in the members avatar block and click 'view profile'
Next select the 'user lists' drop down and chose 'add to ignore list'

Please don't practice on me :angel:

Attachments

• ignore1.jpg
    ignore1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 79
  • ignore2.jpg
    ignore2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 80
'Ignore thread' is not always working.

I ignore a thread; and later when I am going through a forum using 'next thread', there it is again.

I have done this at least 4 times with some threads.

Next select the 'user lists' drop down and chose 'add to ignore list'
"User list", of course, how intuitive.

And here I was thinking it had something to do with the other user's lists...

Thanks. I'm good again.

Jarhead, I'm heading down your road too. This board has gotten too big since the days of Ted & JG...

Jarhead, I'm heading down your road too. This board has gotten too big since the days of Ted & JG...

Though, ego-wise, those two were good for any number of posters... :p

I've just gotten more selective, but no ignore X. As a wage slave glued to a cubicle for 12 hours/day, I'd read almost anything. As a man of leisure, I'm more selective. Although, some off-topic gems appear in the most unlikely places...

Back
Top Bottom