How do I attach an xlsx file or an Excel graph?

Ed_The_Gypsy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Having a little trouble here.

I have been trying to insert an Excel graph into a post without success.

Trying to attach the original xlsx file doesn't work for me either. The forum software tells me it is does not recognize the file.

I have been looking in the FAQs etc and can't find something that works. Some of the answers apply to an old version of the forum software.

Thanks.

try saving the excel file on your PC as an *.xls file instead of *.xlsx

Use the save as and change the "save as type" to *.xls Excel 97-2003 workbook.

Can you a take a screen capture instead and post it? Might be easier.

Having a little trouble here.

I have been trying to insert an Excel graph into a post without success.

Trying to attach the original xlsx file doesn't work for me either. The forum software tells me it is does not recognize the file.

I have been looking in the FAQs etc and can't find something that works. Some of the answers apply to an old version of the forum software.

Thanks.

Can you a take a screen capture instead and post it? Might be easier.

He is right. If you do "ALT&PRTSC" (PRTSC = Print Screen) it will put the open window screen shot into memory. Then you can paste it into a word document. That will probably work very well if you just want to show something. Using excel here is probably not acceptable due to macros that could be introduced.

I think I can do this now.

I can copy the graph from Excel and paste it into Microsoft Paint, then save it as a jpeg file and use the paperclip to attach the file to the post.

Things are never simple, though. Win 7 hides Paint. Open the folder on the bottom bar and 'Search' for 'mspaint' (they renamed it!). I dragged the symbol to my desktop and made a link. Paint has been a lifesaver in the past. It was dreadful to miss it in Win 7.

Cheers!

Found snipping tool as well. Go to Start button, search for 'snipping tool'. I dragged-and-dropped the icon to the desktop again. Now to learn how it works!

Thanks again.

I tried both. For a simple snip, not much difference. MS looks like it is easier to select a unique destination folder.

I'm not on Windows, but I find that a "print-to-pdf" is often a better way to go. A screen capture is going to be a fairly low rez image (100dpi?) that looks jagged when zoomed, while a pdf scales and looks good as it is zoomed.

Perhaps that snipping tool gets around this problem, just FYI.

-ERD50

No problems with attaching an XLS.

As for screen captures, I just paste them into PowerPoint, and then crop and "save as picture" in jpg or png format. Then just attach to a post as a picture, easy-peasy.

Just another approach FWIW...

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo
Ed, Win 7's "Snipping Tool" is much easier than using Paint.

Having an aversion to MS products, I use screenhunter. Any idea how they compare?

No clue, though I share your aversion.
quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
REW, watched the video. I can use this on my day j*b! Thanks!

Ugh. Isn't there a rule about not talking about work? :D

I sorry. :( Still gotta feed the piggy.

Back
Top Bottom