How to jump to the right spot in a discussion...

Andy R

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
I will be working on addressing the feedback that you all have provided about the new forums software. One of the items I see that needs more explanation is the ability to jump to points within a discussion without having to read through the whole thread.

The first way to navigate into a thread is just clicking on the thread title, which I don't think anyone is having any issues with.

The second is the little icon that looks like this
firstnew.gif
, when you click on that it will take you to the first post in that discussion that you have not read. The database keeps track of the posts that you have read/not read even if you are not subscribed to them. So you can use this for all discussions even though you have not posted to it. The icon only shows when there are unread posts in that discussion.

The third way to jump into the discussions is to click on the icon that looks like this
lastupost.gif
. It will jump you to the last post you made in that discussion. It's only shown when you have made a post to that specific discussion.

Please see the attached photo for exact placements of the icons.

Attachments

• jump to spot in thread.gif
    jump to spot in thread.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 109
The little "checkmark" icon to go to last unread post is great.

If it is possible to add it to the bottom of a page where the "next thread / previous thread" indicators are - would be awesome.

That would allow people to quickly with one click go to the next/previous thread to the last unread post (which is the way it was before, I think).

Today that's doable - but in two steps: First clicking to next/previous thread, then clicking for "first unread".

Thanks for all your responsiveness and listening to folks on the board !

I love the "Go to first unread post" button.

If it is possible to add it to the bottom of a page where the "next thread / previous thread" indicators are - would be awesome.

That would allow people to quickly with one click go to the next/previous thread to the last unread post (which is the way it was before, I think).

Today that's doable - but in two steps: First clicking to next/previous thread, then clicking for "first unread".
I am looking for a solution on how to do this.

Also, the new software uses the thread title instead of Previous and Next (to let you know which thread it is). I was wondering if you all like the thread title more or if you want me to switch it to Previous / Netxt (see attachment).

Attachments

• previous next.gif
    previous next.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 62
  • previous next titles.gif
    previous next titles.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 0

Also, the new software uses the thread title instead of Previous and Next (to let you know which thread it is). I was wondering if you all like the thread title more or if you want me to switch it to Previous / Next (see attachment).

I definitely prefer the thread title.

Also, the new software uses the thread title instead of Previous and Next (to let you know which thread it is). I was wondering if you all like the thread title more or if you want me to switch it to Previous / Netxt (see attachment).

Thanks again Andy for all your work on this.

I like "Previous / Next" - real clear and simple - but either is workable.

Back
Top Bottom