Ick! The TD Ameritrade ads are back

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For whatever reason, the TD Ameritrade ads, all three of them, use info that has to be loaded from various alphabet-soup domain servers that must be running on DX386 platforms! They are soooo slow to load. So in the meantime, nothing happens. For a couple days, the dreaded TD ads were gone and everything ran fast. But they're back.

Do you have "Flash" enabled in your browser? I have noticed that turning it off until it is actually needed helps performance.

a long-standing problem with Flash is there is no way to turn it off AFAIK, except by adding third-party software to block it

Under Firefox, if you access Tools-Add-ons-Plugins you can 'Disable' Flash or any other plugin. You can later 'Enable' Flash in the same area if you need it to view a particular web page.

Man this is annoying. I've never seen this problem on other sites.

Although I do not see these ads at all (MSIE9, Win7, Norton), apparently some people who are not using Firefox do.

I'd suggest trying Firefox when accessing the forum, if one is very annoyed by them.

Although I do not see these ads at all (MSIE9, Win7, Norton), apparently some people who are not using Firefox do.

I'd suggest trying Firefox when accessing the forum, if one is very annoyed by them.

+1 (I use FF with Adblock plus)

While I do see the TD Ameritrade ad with IE9 it loads just as fast as with Firefox.

I do see the TD Ameritrade ads in Internet Explorer 9.1, but they seem to load pretty quickly for me (no noticeable performance issues).

I'm using Firefox and the ads are inconsistent for me. Sometimes the page loads fine and sometimes it nearly freezes up my computer. I don't use adblocker as most sites I frequent these days don't have obnoxious ads and I don't begrude the site owners earning a bit of ad money.

a long-standing problem with Flash is there is no way to turn it off AFAIK, except by adding third-party software to block it
I've throttled its settings to where it's hardly allowed to use any of my RAM or my hard drive. As an unexpected bonus, it regularly crashes... which seems to be a mighty effective way of turning it off.

As for Management's decision to run the ads, you could take this guidance from the social media industry: "If it's free, then you're not the customer. You're the product."

I get a warning box that a movie script is taking forever to run and do I want to abort it. I say "yes" and it appears again later. It definitely slows everything down until I click the "yes" to end it.

I wondered what triggered it--good to have it isolated. I'm not going to change my browser preference (Chrome) or other settings for just a single site's occasional ad program; I just will continue to click "yes" when the box appears.

I'm using Firefox and the ads are inconsistent for me. Sometimes the page loads fine and sometimes it nearly freezes up my computer. I don't use adblocker as most sites I frequent these days don't have obnoxious ads and I don't begrude the site owners earning a bit of ad money.

Using Firefox, and disabling Flash as per gauss' procedure, it is still more hit than miss.

I can hear my CPU fans spool up, and CPU usage goes way high. Then if I log in, CPU use drops way off, and it's not too slow on page loading. But when it's slow (and not logged in), it is one domain name after another that is slow.

Just reporting, if anyone's interested, that I captured the error message I get (no title bar but I assume Adobe generates this message?):

A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player to run slowly. If it continues to run your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script? {yes} {no}"

Back
Top Bottom