Instert Google Maps into posts

Andy R

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
I wanted to let you all know that I have added a new feature for you all to test out that allows you to add a Google map to your post. This could be useful in pointing out location(s) to fellow members. You can add info on the pins with information about that spot, click on them to view the text. Two example are in the following posts.

Please let me know if you think this feature adds value to the forums or if you think it will never be used. If you all like it, great we'll keep it. If not, no worries, I can uninstall it.

Right now you have to use the BB Code to insert the maps (there is not icon in the text editor) but I plan to figure out how to add that in the future.

Here is how you use it (I had to post as a photo as the system kept trying to parse the code).

Attachments

• example of map code.gif
    example of map code.gif
    5 KB · Views: 4
[map]1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500[/map]
[map=The White House]1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500[/map]

Multiple Locations Example:
[map]1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500;E Capitol St NE & 1st St NE, Washington, DC 20001[/map]
[map=The White House;Capitol Building]1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500;E Capitol St NE & 1st St NE, Washington, DC 20001[/map]

Trying this out by posting where I used to work.

[map=where I used to work] 302 east superior street, duluth, mn 55802 [/map]

I think another nice addition would be for this to open a map and allow you to place the pin where you want to and then label it. Having to use BB Code works but is not good for pointing out a nice break for surfing, some landmarks in Puerto Vallarta or that cheap but nice boutique hotel in Phuket.

This will sure come in handy the next time someone wants me to show a map of where john galt lives. ;)

Can we see Dick Cheneys house?

Cool Man! O0

Or genx version... Awesome!

Or in the more contemporary vernacular, Sweet! Dude that Sh#^ is PHAT. Really Rad Man!

Back
Top Bottom