It's not a quirk, it did exactly what I told it to do, but...

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Andy, TechAdmin, the board's old software used to have a feature that warned you from posting on top of others. It would say: "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." It was a nice feature that's sorely lacking here, and now I've learned that the warning can help avoid confusion in certain circumstances.

A couple days ago I quoted a post, added some text, and clicked the "Submit Reply" button. When the thread refreshed I saw that another user's post had said pretty much what I'd intended to say, only better-- and they'd put it up a few minutes earlier than my now redundant comments. A "new reply" warning would've helped me avoid that but this boards' software doesn't seem to have the feature.

So I quickly hit my post's "Edit" button, revised my text, and clicked the "Save" button. I was fast enough that the server didn't even add an "Edited by Nords" because it hadn't actually saved the first version to the database yet.

What I didn't know then was that when my original (redundant) text was posted, the board's software automatically captured it in an e-mail to the thread's subscribers. When they opened their e-mail and saw my original text, they clicked the enclosed link and went to my post. Only my post no longer contained that original text but instead had the edited text with no indication that anything had been edited. Confusion ensued.

If this board has a "new reply" warning feature, I'd appreciate its being turned on. If it doesn't have this feature then perhaps vBulletin could be asked to add it to their next update...

I'm with Nords on this one. In a dynamic environment, it is helpful to tailor one's responses in light of all prior responses. I have had the same problem with my post being overcome by events while I am composing it.

I too miss the "someone else has posted" warning and would like it back if possible.

Yep, I just got bit by it again. Big step backwards.

People have finally accepted many of the other failings of this new SW, but this feature is important to everyone, not just inconvenient. Hard to believe it's really gone, rather than just not enabled.

Please, can we get it back?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom