Limit posting frequency?

I think the vote is still too close, so I will add another to the "no" column. :LOL:

you know we could limit the posts per day to 300 or 400 characters. That would help solve the overly verbose posts at the same time!
While I do sometimes stop reading long posts and move on as I loose interest... I'm joking about limiting by characters. It often takes several replies to get proper understanding with several people on the thread. If you have to stretch it over several days... connecting a few replies could be complicated by the distance in the thread.

I vote no on limits in general. (likely blew my character limits for today!)

Perhaps a character limit would be better; otherwise, long posts would be unfairly advantaged....:angel:

On second thought, No.

E.T.A.: Darn you, bingybear and your flying fingers! :LOL:

I think there's enough rules. I vote no.

I vote NO limits.

This forum IS a pleasant place to visit just the way it is.....

I like to just read it every day because there is very little if any NASTINESS. There's enough of that to go around on the internet.

You don't have to read anyone you don't care to!!!

It sure would be disappointing if I posted a request for helpful advice, and the people with the most knowledge didn't answer because they'd reached their quota!

It sure would be disappointing if I posted a request for helpful advice, and the people with the most knowledge didn't answer because they'd reached their quota!

+1

I get the feeling socca just got tired of hearing from someone.

you know we could limit the posts per day to 300 or 400 characters. ..While I do sometimes stop reading long posts and move on as I loose interest...

I vote no on limits in general. (likely blew my character limits for today!)

Here's where you could save one character (It's a start). :)

No on any limits.

No limits on posts. Limit the number of posts per user and you will find far fewer posters.

No limits on characters. I do verbose posts, that usually aren't all that interesting. However, there is one poster whose long posts are amongst the most valuable things I've read on this forum, imoldernu. What a shame it would be to have cut off some of his insights.

This forum is well moderated and very positive. Even pet peeve of the day is a fun read. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I find this to be a well-moderated, highly functional forum with no changes needed.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I agree. I have learned a lot on this site. I like that I can reply on a post and ask someone a follow-up question and most of the time, they will get back with me promptly. This may not happen if posts are limited

If there is a particular person you don't want to hear from, just add them to your ignore list. Except for moderators, they are immune. I know, I've tried.

Yes, the moderators are immune. But, a few years ago I discovered that you can't put yourself on "ignore." I know, I've tried. Kind of like a cosmic joke.

Yes, the moderators are immune. But, a few years ago I discovered that you can't put yourself on "ignore." I know, I've tried. Kind of like a cosmic joke.
This is for your own safety, other wise you wouldn't know if you posted the night before, in a drunken tirade.

There should be a limit!

Suggested wording of rule: "No more than X.1 million posts per member per day."

I will leave it to the mods to fill in the X. :angel:

This is for your own safety, other wise you wouldn't know if you posted the night before, in a drunken tirade.
A memory of a guy who called in sick twice the morning after. The morning after an all night drunk. He did have to come in to be terminated.

"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth the reading, or do things worth the writing." --Ben Franklin

Not an easy goal to accomplish for yours truly.

It is a bad idea and would probably cause the forum to go downhill pretty fast.

I also vote no. The posts on this website are very informative and I would hate to have them limited.
OTOH, I used to go to a cruise board, and there were a few with over 100K posts! In looking at a topic, they would post something like "I agree" to up their count.
There is no reward for being the top poster, so I am at a loss for a reason.

:D
I would vote yes for a time limit, such as 1 minute between posts.
Scares away the Russian Robots!
:LOL:

Although this sounds good, even a 1 minute limit causes problems!

I'm on a sports forum and post similarly (about 10x per week). Every now and then, I hit their "one post every 2 minutes" throttle, and it really disrupts you. I end up dropping it and checking ER instead. Really! Then I forget to go back to what I wanted to say on the other forum and move on. Disruption.

There are other ways to limit the hacker-bots. Seems like this forum and the mods have a really good handle on that.

No limits. Heck this is the only forum I bother to check regularly because of the high number of new posts each day. One can only spend so much time enjoying the sun and fun.

Back
Top Bottom