Limit posting frequency?

socca

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Would ER.org be a more pleasant place to visit if non-moderator accounts were limited to (for example) three posts per 24-hour period?

Limited resources tend to be more highly valued. Would the quality of posts go up as the quantity goes down?

I'm not going to state an opinion on this topic. I'm just floating the idea.

I see that you have been here twelve years, but have only managed to post 730 posts. Could that be coloring your outlook on this?

It's nice to attract members to the forum who contribute their thoughts to various numerous topics related to Early Retirement. This way we can have more in-depth, spirited discussions and also we get to know the members who have a lot to contribute.

BTW, there are many examples but three longtime members who come to mind are REWahoo, who has averaged around 52 posts/week all these years; Audreyh1 who has averaged 25/week; and samclem who has averaged 17. I am interested in what all three of them have to say, and each day I look forward to reading their posts. I don't find it to be a hardship. :)

Is there some non-mod in particular that you are feeling negative towards, because they post more than you do? Probably the best way to deal with it would be to either (1) put the poster on "ignore", or (2) if you think it is a serious problem for you, then notify the moderator team.

Last edited:
I have the superpower that allows me to glance at a post and skip over it if I want. I don't need anyone here to have a posting limit.

I prefer not to impose a posting limit. If someone is posting too much and being a nuisance, then moderators are very good at taking care of the problem. If someone posts a lot and I don't care to read about it (highly unlikely) then I already have plenty of tools to skip over those posts.

I have the superpower that allows me to glance at a post and skip over it if I want. I don't need anyone here to have a posting limit.
Me too.

To the op... if it's specific, prolific, posters that bother you can ignore a member (or members). A lot of members take advantage of this feature. Only you will know who you select to ignore.

I vote no also, many times it can take numerous posts to fully get one's thoughts across (though I average one post per week, didn't post much in early years when young boys around). Too much to learn to have someone limited to a few posts and many of us prefer short messages rather than research papers.

No. But if I were limited, this is one thread that I would have skipped posting a response.

From my first post, I initiated a self-imposed limit to the number of posts I would permit myself per year. So far, I've managed to stay well below that limit.

So when you hang out with friends, do you have a sand timer to control the conversation? Of course not. It's a forum. As long as people follow the rules like not being rude or obscene, it's all good. This forum is run quite well and it doesn't seem to me that limiting discussion would be an improvement.

It seems the overwhelming response is no.... with which I totally agree. It is easy enough to skim prolific responses.... I have yet to place someone on an ignore list despite a couple close calls over the years.

If there is a particular person you don't want to hear from, just add them to your ignore list. Except for moderators, they are immune. I know, I've tried.

So when you hang out with friends, do you have a sand timer to control the conversation? Of course not. It's a forum. As long as people follow the rules like not being rude or obscene, it's all good. This forum is run quite well and it doesn't seem to me that limiting discussion would be an improvement.
+1
Of course if I were managing my post count would I post?

I've never known a forum that had a per-day limit on posting. Seems like forums die when people aren't able to express themselves, and that would get in the way of it, without much of an upside.

It's not like a conversation in a group, where one person can dominate the conversation because when that person is talking, everyone else has to be quiet and listen. In a forum, you listen to whoever you want to listen to, and you speak without concern for interrupting or being interrupted.

Also, it would bug me if I typed out fourth post, and then I get a notice on my screen saying, "You have exceeded your post quota for the day. Please try again tomorrow."

Last edited:
Some days I may not post. Some days maybe 5 or 6. It depends on what topics/questions come up.

I don't have time to check in here every day. When I do, I like being able to comment on anything where I believe I can add value.

If I were forced to check in every day in order to not limit my post metrics I would probably stop participating.

Limited resources tend to be more highly valued.

With 60 posts per year on your part, the responses to your question seem to contradict your theory.

I find this to be a well-moderated, highly functional forum with no changes needed.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I agree with the sentiments from the previous posts regarding no limitations.

I have a real problem with someone creating an "artificial scarcity" in order to create value, especially on a subject matter forum. It would actually not create value but detract from the value of the forum, thereby reducing forum traffic, revenue and possibly create a new competing website...something like "unlimited FIRE". No need for that!

Back
Top Bottom