Spam popup today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestwifeever

Moderator Emeritus
Just reporting I’ve been interrupted several times on this site today with a popup to win a $1000 Warlmart (sic) gift card. Of course no way to close the popup although there is a “close” link that I am sure would take me to a rogue website. The address bar when thr popup shos (seemingly still within the e-r.org donain) is https://bestgiftsforddplayersit.icu...1000_n/index.html?trackid=201811140005543138#

I’m on an iPhone and closed down the browser each time this ad appears but I imagine ending up at the above site could infect a computer.

If you go into Settings, scroll down and click Safari.
There is a switch "Block Pop-ups" that you can turn off.

They’re already blocked and fraudulent sites as well, and have been since I got this phone. Just got another one. Will clear cache and cookies but just wanted to raise an alert because I am sure they are from an ad here (and if course we all see different ads so someone else may not get this). Here’s an article on how they appeared to one site’s users and how they were dealt with: https://product.voxmedia.com/2018/1...-giftcards-and-what-were-doing-to-secure-them

Last edited:
Yep - it showed up on my iPad today from this site. I closed out Safari and restarted my iPad, and so far hasn't reappeared. But I got three of them reloading this site in Safari before doing the restart.

A few days with no problems but an annoying return this afternoon. I’ve updated to lastest iOS, no difference. It’s caused by whatever ad is being served on this site.

Restart, reload is not helping.

Slightly off topic, but I would like to send a big THANK YOU to all who warned me about the "YES" thing going on. We were on vacation, and had 2 of these are you"XXX" yes or no, messages on our answering machine.

Yep - it showed up on my iPad today from this site. I closed out Safari and restarted my iPad, and so far hasn't reappeared. But I got three of them reloading this site in Safari before doing the restart.
I got several yesterday too. I clear Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data and it goes away, but it comes back later. I installed an AdBlocker which helped for months, but that seems to be failing now too :confused: Never ending battle with spammers and (phone) robocallers - ‘ain’t technology grand’... :mad:

Last edited:
Just reporting I’ve been interrupted several times on this site today with a popup
I’m on an iPhone and closed down the browser each time this ad appears

Do you have an ad blocker on your iPhone?
I use AdBlock Plus and I never see these things.

I got several yesterday too. I clear Settings>Safari>Clear History and Website Data and it goes away, but it comes back later. I installed an AdBlocker which helped for months, but that seems to be failing now too :confused: Never ending battle with spammers and (phone) robocallers - ‘ain’t technology grand’... :mad:

I checked my Safari settings, and I have pop ups blocked, etc.

A new adblocker might help. I don’t have one. I guess I’ll have to consider it.

These things pop up after a 7 second delay according to the article linked above. And when they happen for me I can’t shrink the window to see which offending ad is causing it, because the redirect has already started.

Last edited:
This looks similar to this http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/won-1000-amazon-gift-card-spam-90573.html which was also pesky. Spam finding ways around ad blockers and forum filters. Tech support has been alerted.

It’s exactly the same class of redirecting pop up.

The message begin “Congratulations PSINet User.......”

Well, just as I posted this reply, I got a different pop up notifying me of a $1000 Walmart Gift Card, and redirecting me to fmggiftcenter.ics (I think).

Last edited:
I’m getting it too

I cleared cache, etc., and it’s still showing up.

Last edited:
I get these routinely from this site and have since I joined. The only one that I visit that seems to have an issue. Some days it’s so bad I just stop browsing threads. It’s easy enough to close down the page on the iPhone, but I always wonder why it only seems to happen here.

I just got this one, which also shows the site I automatically was sent to:

Attachments

• DBDA35BF-4096-474F-99DD-A0B077C7174F.jpeg
    DBDA35BF-4096-474F-99DD-A0B077C7174F.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 28
It's a fairly common issue for IOS users and we have little control over the ads that are seen. One thing you can do is to clear your cache and then do a restart as there is probably as cookie picked up somewhere driving the display of the ad.

A day’s relief, then popups started up with a vengeance this morning. I finally installed the Wipr ad blocker.

I think Google eventually finds the offending ads and removes them, then another round shows up.

None of the other websites I visit have this pop up spam problem.

Last edited:
A day’s relief, then popups started up with a vengeance this morning. I finally installed the Wipr ad blocker.

I think Google eventually finds the offending ads and removes them, then another round shows up.

None of the other websites I visit have this pop up spam problem.

I don’t know what to do with all the gift cards I’m being offered today! And yes, for me it’s only this site that is generating them. I think the Fuelly ad was at fault for me moments ago.

I can no longer access this website using Safari on my IPad. I get redirected to these gift card spam sites every time. I have pop up blockers turned on. The iOS app is the only way for me to get to the site now. Has anyone found a way to block these on an IPad?

I can no longer access this website using Safari on my IPad. I get redirected to these gift card spam sites every time. I have pop up blockers turned on. The iOS app is the only way for me to get to the site now. Has anyone found a way to block these on an IPad?

The Wipr app is working for me. $1.99 It uses the native Safari API for content blockers. Once you download and open it, it instructs you to configure a few things in Safari (in settings) and then run it. Then those ads causing the popup redirects are gone!

Happening so often on this site only that it is almost unusable. Using an IPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom