Thanks, Friends!

twaddle

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You thought this was going to be my "good bye" post, didn't you? :)

What does the "Thanks" button do? Nobody ever thanks me, so it's a bit of a mystery.

Likewise, if I "befriend" somebody, is it like facebook where I get notified every time they say something clever?

Obviously, I have no friends. :(

Edit: found some info in the FAQ, but not clear if "thanks" still works without rep being enabled?

Edit: oh, the originator can click on "thanks" for some interesting data!

Last edited:
The thanks button just sends a short note of thanks for a specific post. The sender is identified. The format is similar to a PM, there is standard forum wording, and the sender is free to add a comment or not.

Friending someone is not like FB, no notifications are generated. It’s just a friendly gesture.

I use the app(android) and you don't notifications about thanks. So whomever you thank or friend may never see it.

Thanks, MRG. :)

If you didn't get a notification, click on the "Thanks" button of your post.

I hope this isn't too annoying, but I've been thanking a lot of people today.

Interesting. I got a couple token thanks on the first post in this thread, but no notifications. The thanks stats (along with embedded messages) are only available if I click on the "Thanks" button of my own post.

Using web interface (Brave browser).

Interesting. I got a couple token thanks on the first post in this thread, but no notifications. The thanks stats (along with embedded messages) are only available if I click on the "Thanks" button of my own post.

Using web interface (Brave browser).

I get an email whenever someone has thanked me

Can someone steer me to where the "Thanks" record is? I seem to only find any thanks I get by accident. I know there's a location to view these somewhere in the CP section.

I get an email whenever someone has thanked me

Oh, that's kind of annoying. I rarely use the email account I signed up with, but my apologies to all those whom I have thanked today.

Can someone steer me to where the "Thanks" record is? I seem to only find any thanks I get by accident. I know there's a location to view these somewhere in the CP section.

See the User CP menu on the top bar?

Go there, scroll down past any subscribed threads, it should be a grid at the bottom.

I don't get emails, and I had a been a member here for a very long time before I ever even knew they existed.

"Edit Options" under CP, you can control notifications, including PM on thanks and various email notifcations.

A post about the "Thanks" button comes up maybe once a year. People start using it for a while, then it fades away - until the next "Thanks button" hot topic.

Thank you for posting.

I'm ambivalent about these rep systems. If you haven't seen it, check out the Nosedive episode of Black Mirror.

I will admit to getting a little squirt of dopamine with likes on twitter....

Last edited:
Oh, that's kind of annoying. I rarely use the email account I signed up with, but my apologies to all those whom I have thanked today.

I want to get emails telling me that I have a "thank you". I find the thank you interesting and helpful.

twaddle, thanks for the reminder. I see a few thank you's that ask questions. I turned off the email notice some time ago. Probably a mistake.

I mostly use the mobile version of the site, and the Thanks button isn’t available in that view. If I login via my desktop computer, I see it.

I often receive thanks for not participating in threads......"Your absence is appreciated" being the common theme.

I often receive thanks for not participating in threads......"Your absence is appreciated" being the common theme.

In the same vein, can one get a thankyou for not even logging in?

How does one see the thank you if he does not even log in? I guess he has to check his email.

Back
Top Bottom