Am I doing this correctly?

Debinnov a

Recycles dryer sheets
I've entered my total portfolio, and I add the expected social security and then under "Your Portfolio" under "Total Market" I change the 75% in the "equities" box to 20%. Would that be the best option for someone who wants to get the most conservative results?

Or would I go into another option under portfolio and put a flat percentage of interest expected?

I want to get the most conservative results, as I will probably keep a large portion in safe/guaranteed investments and maybe a third in the market in bond/stock index funds.

Can someone assist me?

Thanks!
Deb

If you are going to be sticking most of it in CD's I'd put in what ever percentage you have in stocks say 20%. Then change the fixed income portion form long interest rates to 5 Year Treasury notes. Currently 5 year T-bills are yielding about 1.36% or about the same as you get in a 3 to 5 year CD.

Be warned that your spending will be reduced by about 15% from a more conventional approach

So the more conventional approach would be more like 20% cash, 20% equities and the rest bonds or bond funds? I apologize, I am just trying to sort all of this out.
I'm not sure how to define the conventional approach, but I can tell you FIRECalc (ie, history) says you'll hurt the chances of your portfolio lasting 30 years if you have less than 35% or so in equities.

This chart shows FIRECalc 30 year survival rates for equity allocations. 20% in equities results in survival rates of only 70% or so, while 35% or more moves that survival number to 90% or more.

Having too low an equity allocation increases risk, it doesn't decrease it.

Attachments

• stock allocation graph.gif
    stock allocation graph.gif
    2 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom