Cash in FIREcalc

slowsaver

Recycles dryer sheets
I don't seem to see an option under the "Your Portfolio" to say what percentage of your portfolio is cash/CDs/MM. (Maybe I'm not looking carefully enough?)

Anyway, if cash isn't an option in FIREcalc, then do you include cash in your starting portfolio value, or leave it out?

If I am not mistaken the fixed income options "Commercial Paper" and "Long Interest Rate" are for all intents and porpoises what constitute a money market fund i.e. cash

So bonds and cash are both lumped into the same "fixed income" bucket then? Kind of implies not much performance difference between the two.

So bonds and cash are both lumped into the same "fixed income" bucket then? Kind of implies not much performance difference between the two.

3 month commercial paper currently is around 0.17%, so using this option could be a fair choice for cash.
Long term averages for CP is higher, but so is long term averages for bonds.

So, in a hypothetical portfolio of 33% total market stock fund, 33% bond funds, 34% cash ... would you choose "commercial paper" and "equities" = 33% ?

My guess is that it would categorize 67% (33+34) as "commercial paper"

There are options there for 5 year treasuries and 30 year treasuries. Those are your bond options. Quite different from the commercial paper & long interest rate options that act as "cash." Unless I've been missing something all these years?

So, in a hypothetical portfolio of 33% total market stock fund, 33% bond funds, 34% cash ... would you choose "commercial paper" and "equities" = 33% ?

My guess is that it would categorize 67% (33+34) as "commercial paper"

I would think that a mixed portolio of 34% 1-month Treasury, 33% LT Corporate Bond (or LT Treasury or a combination of both) and 33% S&P 500 under the "mixed portfolio" option would be close to what you describe above.

I would think that a mixed portolio of 34% 1-month Treasury, 33% LT Corporate Bond (or LT Treasury or a combination of both) and 33% S&P 500 under the "mixed portfolio" option would be close to what you describe above.

Yes, likely more accurate than a Commercial Paper choice.

Back
Top Bottom