FIRECalc and Social Security Question

Silver

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have read through the FIRECalc Support forum but don't see this question, although it would surprise me if I were the first to ask this.

Where does FIRECalc account for society security income ending at the time of one spouses death while continuing to calculate the possible financial success of the remaining spouse? There is only one place to enter the length of the retirement plan on the first page.

Specifically....I want a plan that ends for me at age 85 (15 years) but continues for my husband until he is 95 (25 years). Fidelity's RIP allows this differentiation, but I'm at a loss how to do the same in FIRECalc. And since FIRECalc is otherwise such as good tool, I'm thinking there may be something I don't understand when using it.

FIRECalc experts....I am looking forward to your guidance. Thanks!

You can accomplish a decrease in SS income at a future date by using the "off chart spending" option on the Other Income/Spending tab. Show that you'll begin spending an amount equal to the reduction in SS when you die at 85 and leave the "inflation adj?" box checked. That should do it.

It's great to have a smart Wahoo on the site to answer questions like this so quickly :D

Back
Top Bottom