2021-22 Flu Season

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Good news.

The latest Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report released today indicates a significant drop in cases over the past four weeks. This is a pleasant surprise after all the news reports about this year's vaccine miss and concerns about the potential severity of "Flurona".

While the season is a bit worse last year, it does appear to be on track to be one of the shortest, mildest seasons over the past several years. Of course, things can change...

Attachments

• FlugraphFeb4.JPG
    FlugraphFeb4.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 55
  • FlumapFeb4.JPG
    FlumapFeb4.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 62
I’ve seen a couple cases of “flurona”. We had a pretty brief flu season a few weeks ago but I haven’t seen a confirmed case lately. That doesn’t mean it isn’t here though because we won’t usually run a flu test if you’ve been sick more than 2-3 days since it won’t alter treatment at that point. But I haven’t even had people describing what sounds like it would be flu

I’ve occasionally read mention of some kind of viral interaction where Omicron seems to be blocking flu. I don’t remember the medical/virology term.

Good news, not surprising with masking, social distancing and increased vaccine uptake?

Thanks for posting.
Getting an annual flu vax for years, I have not had influenza ever, and that includes multiple decades working in healthcare field, direct patient care, including pediatrics!

I can tell you anecdotally from the urgent care world that Flu is practically nonexistent. I saw one case last week and that was probably the first in a month. Thankfully, COVID cases are also down dramatically.

Flu and corona virus at the same time is a real thing. Had a friend who tested positive for both even though vaccinated for both. She was very sick for a month or so but never had to be hospitalized.

Back
Top Bottom