6 Memory Problems That Shouldn't Worry You

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Thought this might be of interest to some here...though some know much more already I'm sure.

6 Memory Problems That Shouldn't Worry You | Next Avenue

It's normal to forget some things, and to become a bit more forgetful as you age. It's also normal to worry about forgetting. What isn't normal is forgetting too much. But how much is too much? And how can you tell whether your memory lapses are part of normal aging or a symptom of something more serious?

Neuroscientists and physicians haven't fully answered that question. But they have identified some key differences between normal lapses and those that occur with serious memory problems, like dementia, which is the progressive loss of memory and other mental abilities that interferes with a person’s daily activities.

Both my parents developed dementia so naturally, I'm pretty concerned about this. I thought that the list of symptoms of dementia as opposed to the effects of normal ageing at the bottom of the article was quite helpful.

Now what were we talking about? :D

Nice article, thanks. I have no dementia in my family, but sometimes I worry about it due to temporary trouble remembering a name or word that is completely familiar to me. Then a minute later I will remember it. This article indicates that often such troubles are due to normal aging (whew!).

Blocking. This is the temporary inability to retrieve a memory — "It's on the tip of my tongue." Blocking occurs when a memory is properly stored in your brain but something keeps you from finding it. In many cases, the blocked memory is similar to another one, and you retrieve the wrong one. This competing memory, though, is so intrusive that you can't think of the memory you want — like when you call your younger son by your older son's name.
Ah, finally, a suitable excuse for accidentally using an old girlfriend's name with your spouse.

Not, of course, that I've ever actually [-]survived[/-] done that. But it's nice to know that it's not "just" a Freudian slip.

One addition to the "early dementia" list is when the elder frequently asks you to verify their attempts to form a memory. When you're sharing information with them, and they ask you to repeat it five or six times as they're writing it down, then that might be an early sign. But everyone ages differently, and it's the changes that count more than the "always been that way" behavior.

I've spent a lot of time on the Alzheimer's Reading Room blog. And when our college daughter comes home for holiday break, we're going to all spit into our 23andMe test tubes. The more educated and high-functioning you are, the longer you can hide the symptoms...

Ah, finally, a suitable excuse for accidentally using an old girlfriend's name with your spouse.

There's a reason generic terms like "babe", "dear" and "darling" became so popular...but there may be an element of survivor bias involved.

from the linked article..."The normal aging process leads to predictable changes in thinking and memory. These include "wear and tear" damage from oxidative stress — the reduced capacity to detoxify molecules or proteins that are harmful to brain cells — and declines in the energy-generating components of cells (mitochondria) that allow them to function optimally."

I thought this was the result of attending too many $1 admission fraternity keg parties in college. ;)

Nords turned me on to the Alzheimer's Reading Room, and I'm catching up...
Am battling the fear, as I age, and keeping a diary, to hopefully self diagnose the progress.

One of the missing pieces in all of my readings and self analysis, is part that fear and panic play in the progress of the symptoms.

The missing word, the missing name are triggers to the mental block. Panic makes any progress to finding the correct one impossible. At the same time, another trigger starts the cover-up. Self initiated stress with self protective instincts...
the sophisticated biological responses that occur when we are feeling uncertain, being treated unfairly or threatened...

The OP article deals with this in a way, but treats the "substitution" as a passive action, when it seems to me, it is the very heart of concern about
deterioration.

Anyway, memory problems are the excuse I use for posting the same thing in different threads.:cool:

imoldernu said:
Nords turned me on to the Alzheimer's Reading Room, and I'm catching up...
Am battling the fear, as I age, and keeping a diary, to hopefully self diagnose the progress.

One of the missing pieces in all of my readings and self analysis, is part that fear and panic play in the progress of the symptoms.

The missing word, the missing name are triggers to the mental block. Panic makes any progress to finding the correct one impossible. At the same time, another trigger starts the cover-up. Self initiated stress with self protective instincts...

The OP article deals with this in a way, but treats the "substitution" as a passive action, when it seems to me, it is the very heart of concern about
deterioration.

Anyway, memory problems are the excuse I use for posting the same thing in different threads.:cool:

Imoldernu, you got me thinking since you are about my fathers age and are worried about this, maybe I should cut my Dad some slack. I am always messing with him convincing him that he is repeating something to me he already said, when he actually hadn't. He probably worries about this since his mother had it. If he truly had a problem, I wouldn't do it to him, but like you, that doesn't mean he might not worry about it.

... maybe I should cut my Dad some slack. I am always messing with him convincing him that he is repeating something to me he already said, when he actually hadn't. He probably worries about this since his mother had it. If he truly had a problem, I wouldn't do it to him, but like you, that doesn't mean he might not worry about it.
Oh, he'll avenge himself by needing you to help him find a care facility, leaving you a houseful of possessions to take care of after he moves, and then he'll ask you to be his conservator and straighten out his finances... just sayin'.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom