ACA 2020 Plan Previews started today

Our Story - next year same coverage 12X the premium

Cost progression after leaving megacorp while DH has been working part time consulting. ( at least we can deduct health insurance) We are self insured, 63 & 61 and have been thankfully quite healthy.

In 2013 $480/mo 6K deductible kept our doctors and the local 1.5mile away hospital that is one of the best nationally.( But we have not used in in the 20 years we have lived here :facepalm: knock on wood)

By 2016 $764/mo same grandmothered coverage after yearly increases.

In 2017 $997/mo same coverage rose 30%. Not doing this again. Next year we will roll the dice and manage income for the subsidy. The price to keep out doctor is too high. Spending $12,000/ year for two wellness visits is just silly. All medications are subject to the deductible.

In 2018 $257/mo after exchange subsidy. about 12k deductible . New policy only honors DH primary Doc, not mine or the local hospital ( It honors a much poorer rated one 40 min away. )

2019 - $22/ mo after subsidy. 13.4K deductible. 2018 policy no longer offered. In network options are even worse and don't even expect to get help with the website or on the phone as they also only know what's on the website and it is often not accurate. You get what you pay for.

2020 - $274/ mo after subsidy. 13.7K deductible. Same policy as 2019. Cost went way up because the base price went up $204.97 to $1626.08 , and the second cheapest silver plan dropped in price by $102.92 to $1189.59, so our subsidy was cut . So next year we pay over 12x more for same lousy coverage and a higher deductible!

What will the next few years bring before we reach 65 ?

In 2018 $257/mo after exchange subsidy. about 12k deductible . New policy only honors DH primary Doc, not mine or the local hospital ( It honors a much poorer rated one 40 min away. )
Did you know that family members don't have to be on the same plan? You can have one plan and your DH can have a different plan so that you can each keep your preferred doctors and hospitals. You each get half of your household subsidy to apply to the plan you choose.

If you need the steps to do this at HealthCare.gov I can find an older post that I did that gives the steps.

Thanks, but few of the exchange plans use our local hospital or my old primary care doctor as she works for the same company that runs the hospital . There are some gold plans that use the local hospital but they cost way more and are not HSA eligible.

It's better that DH gets his doctor anyway. He really dislikes going as it is and dealing with a new doctor each year for him would be agony. I'm a retired RN and I just use the PCP to get my annual labs and need referrals for mammograms and such. The change for me is irritating ( new location, paperwork ) but seeing DH traumatized would be

Last edited:
How can my subsidy drop 25%? I estimated my income in 2019 to be 45K and in 2020 estimated it to be 48K. Subsidy went from $1,432 to $1,064. Anyone know what might have happened? Should I contact healthcare.gov to appeal?

How did what you pay change?

Last edited:
How can my subsidy drop 25%? I estimated my income in 2019 to be 45K and in 2020 estimated it to be 48K. Subsidy went from $1,432 to $1,064. Anyone know what might have happened? Should I contact healthcare.gov to appeal?

If your income goes up, your subsidy will go down. That's how the ACA premium tax credit works.

If the cost of the second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) changes, your subsidy can also be affected. This seems to be happening to some people this year in some areas and may have affected you as well. You could compare what the monthly premium was for the SLCSP in your area for your family situation and income for 2019 vs. 2020.

Another minor factor is that everyone in your family is a year older. If you're in your 50's or 60's, that could cause your insurance rates to rise a moderate amount.

Last edited:
Renewed health insurance via ACA with subsidies, the system requested a document that to show why I am eligible for subsidy, so I submitted 2020 income summary. Thought that low income leads to subsidy but No, I was denied.
My 2020 income is 100% dividends/interests. I have no employment, no SS, no unemployment....etc.
I can't think of what they need to prove why I am eligible for subsidy. I will getting in touch with agent soon.

Renewed health insurance via ACA with subsidies, the system requested a document that to show why I am eligible for subsidy, so I submitted 2020 income summary. Thought that low income leads to subsidy but No, I was denied.
My 2020 income is 100% dividends/interests. I have no employment, no SS, no unemployment....etc.
I can't think of what they need to prove why I am eligible for subsidy. I will getting in touch with agent soon.

Ask for a senior agent who has dealt with your type of support in the past.
These situations on a % basis are relatively low, even though many on this site do it.
I claim my brother as a dependent, but he is 60 y.o. and Florida Blue at first didn't know how to process it.
My support the first year was a 401k withdrawal, which of course is easier to prove.
Don't give in, plus at tax time at the worst you will have proof and still get the subsidy.

Back
Top Bottom