Microsoft removing Start Button in Windows 12?

jim584672

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
"Microsoft may replace the Start button with the Copilot AI in Windows 12

Windows 12 could see a substantial system redesign in order to include a more AI-centric user experience. The start button could thus be replaced with Copilot AI, which is already available as a preview version in the latest Windows 11 update."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Micro...th-the-Copilot-AI-in-Windows-12.762176.0.html
---------------------------------------
Guess they forgot about Window 8. This should work great.

According to the article, Windows 12 will arrive sometime next year so there will be a period of at least 10 months when Microsoft will be supporting versions 10, 11 and 12. Also the article states:
With better hardware support coming on processors like Qualcomm’s Snapdragon X Elite or AMD’s Hawk point, the AI interactions on Windows 12 should feel much smoother. However, Nadella mentioned that this will require “a new system architecture.”
Ah, more planned hardware obsolescence coming!

Bearing in mind that Windows versions seem to alternate between good and bad, it looks like I may be able to implement my plan to stick with Windows 10 (good OS) until the end of its support and then even skip Windows 11 (not so good) entirely! It's pretty much what I did with Windows 7 i.e. skipping Windows 8 and going directly to Win10. My desktop PC still dual boots both.

My Brave browser offered an update yesterday. Then I discovered it is some sort of AI contraption. I had to go into settings to tell it not to take up space on a right-hand sidebar on my screen. And it can't be removed as an auto-fill suggestion up in the address bar. Completely stinky poopy. I don't need that junk.

Bearing in mind that Windows versions seem to alternate between good and bad, it looks like I may be able to implement my plan to stick with Windows 10 (good OS) until the end of its support and then even skip Windows 11 (not so good) entirely! It's pretty much what I did with Windows 7 i.e. skipping Windows 8 and going directly to Win10. My desktop PC still dual boots both.
Sounds similar to the Windows path I took. Windows 95 -> (skipped 98 and Me) -> Windows XP -> (skipped Vista) -> Windows 7 -> (skipped 8 and 8.1) -> Windows 10 (have avoided 11 so far). There was a very short windows (no pun intended) between the end of extended support for Windows 95 and the beginning of Windows XP. Thankfully, my Megacorp went fully with Windows XP right from the start.

But I think Windows 10 may be my last Windows OS as I may move completely to Linux. The only problem is certain applications, like tax preparation software, isn't available on Linux.

Last edited:
But I think Windows 10 may be my last Windows OS as I may move completely to Linux. The only problem is certain applications, like tax preparation software, isn't available on Linux.

Just run an isolated instance of whatever execrable new Windows version is required in Virtual Box. It's what I've done for TurboTax ever since W10.

I'm never in a rush to change OS.

I've been using Start10 (not free, was about $4) on my Win10 computer to make the desktop have more of a classic feel. I'd expect when the time rolls around for Win12 that Stardock will have a Start12 version too.

I've been using Start10 (not free, was about $4) on my Win10 computer to make the desktop have more of a classic feel. I'd expect when the time rolls around for Win12 that Stardock will have a Start12 version too.
Pretty sad that Microsoft keeps making their OS worse to use and configure with each version, and then having to use third part add-ons to make it better to use like older versions. The XP and Windows 7 interfaces were pretty good, and it's gone downhill from there.

Pretty sad that Microsoft keeps making their OS worse to use and configure with each version, and then having to use third part add-ons to make it better to use like older versions. The XP and Windows 7 interfaces were pretty good, and it's gone downhill from there.

The main reason why I'm in no rush to move to the next Win OS. There are about 5 or so add-ons I use to make things "work right." Along with something like Start10, I also use 7+ taskbar tweaker (free) to have normal size quick launch icons. Otherwise, icons get smaller and smaller :( the more programs added for quicklauch.

Windows 7 was the peak for me in terms of stability and user customization. I am using Open Shell (previously Classic Shell) to give Windows 10 a similar feel to Windows 7. There are a couple of nits with it, but nothing that I can't work around. I'm also using the previously mentioned 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.

I believe those are my only addons to Windows 10. But I can't even begin to list the number of Windows 10 Pro policy and registry tweaks I've applied, primarily for privacy and security reasons. Some were for user interface modifications.

It's truly sad that MS is so desperate to push things no one wants like Bing and their AI crap that they actively alienate existing customers. I know most people here are retired but I am still working for a few more months. Their corporate products have become truly horrible! When I should be looking forward to sleeping in and freedom I'm mostly looking forward to getting away from Teams and Sharepoint!

Windows 7 was the peak for me in terms of stability and user customization. I am using Open Shell (previously Classic Shell) to give Windows 10 a similar feel to Windows 7. There are a couple of nits with it, but nothing that I can't work around. I'm also using the previously mentioned 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.

I believe those are my only addons to Windows 10. But I can't even begin to list the number of Windows 10 Pro policy and registry tweaks I've applied, primarily for privacy and security reasons. Some were for user interface modifications.

I use Start10, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, Icaros and a Sleep Timer. Icaros to get Windows Explore thumbnails to work right and the sleep timer program to properly put computer to hibernate when inactive.

This is a fascinating trend. Change for change's sake. Planned obsolescence, whatever you want to call it. I like to ask people one question:

When was the last time you looked forward to a new version of Windows? What about other software programs?

For me, the tide turned around the time M$ released Money 97. Before then, I'd anxiously await every new version of every program. They'd add features and make things easier to use.

Then, suddenly, the only changes were to dumb things down. Remove functionality. In M$ Money, the first thing I noticed was I couldn't create my own reports any more. I had to start with one of their canned options, and had relatively few ways to tweak it.

Part of dumbing down was to require more steps, more clicks, to do anything. Every time I would go to reconcile an account, I'd get a pop-up explaining all the reasons I might want to do this. I had to click "OK" to proceed. EVERY . SINGLE . TIME. As if I was too stupid to read the popup the first thousand times.

My theory at the time was that software reviews are written by journalists, not actual users. They will complain about anything they don't understand. And not being users, they don't understand much. But they will give praise for flashy new graphics. If it looks good, and they don't have to learn anything about what the software actually does, they write their glowing review and move on to the next.

So, companies would hire designers to make a new UI for every release. They compete to design the most shocking interface. Form over function.

And the trend continues to this day.

For the hold outs, Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 (version 21H2) will have support until 2032-01-13.

In younger days, I used to believe newer was better and would make sure to have updates.

Finally I wised up and is more about finding what works and staying with that until forced to change.

Quicken is a good example of once upon a time it was THE software for budgeting and more but then got so many "improvements" that IMO became a big chore to use. Was happier the early days.

Last edited:
Bearing in mind that Windows versions seem to alternate between good and bad, it looks like I may be able to implement my plan to stick with Windows 10 (good OS) until the end of its support and then even skip Windows 11 (not so good) entirely!

IMHO, Windows 11 is at least as good as Win10, if not better, and easier to use. I have been running it seamlessly on my desktop for over a year now.

When was the last time you looked forward to a new version of Windows?

Interesting question. I think the last version of Windows I was actively looking forward to was probably 7 (the immediate successor to Vista, which was horrible). I also was somewhat looking forward to 8, considering it was supposed to be "the next big thing" from MS after their greatest OS of all time. When it turned out to be a stinker, I think that pretty much killed my enthusiasm for future versions. Ever since then, I've been only mildly interested in anything Windows related.

I actually still use Quicken 2005. I have to install it from a CD, I have to enter all transactions and current/EOM/EOY share prices myself, etc. I cannot download transactions from any vendor, etc.

But I only paid for the CD once. (Actually twice, discovered I lost the original CD when I got a new laptop.)

I have no desire to have my information uploaded to their servers, I like the interface as it was, etc.

I prefer to enter the transactions myself instead of linking the software to all of my other accounts/etc.

The only thing I miss is the ability to download share prices when I want. I now only enter them manually at the end of the month when reconciling accounts.

You can still buy the installation CDs online via resellers if you like. I am running Windows 10 home edition.

I’m running Win 10 and my machine will not upgrade to 11. It’s 11 years old and has served me well. Currently, I’m looking at an iMac. It’s a coin toss whether I’ll just keep my machine until it ages out or get the iMac. It’s more likely that I’ll get the iMac than upgrade to a new Windows machine because I like the idea of my computer syncing with my iPhone and iPad the way that my phone and pad do now.

It is very frustrating how there is this constant push to upgrade. As I said, my computer is 11 years old a working just fine. I think it started with Win 7 and for my needs, it could have stayed that way were it not for other software upgrading out of the older versions of Windows.

Here's a good buyer's guide you should look at:

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#mac

Yes, been there. Currently wondering if I can get a good deal on an M1 machine. If not, I’ll just go ahead and get a current machine. The best deal I’ve found so far is a reconditioned 16/512 unit for $340 less than the new machine.

I was hoping the M1’s would go on sale today - the release date on the M3’s.

Yes, been there. Currently wondering if I can get a good deal on an M1 machine. If not, I’ll just go ahead and get a current machine. The best deal I’ve found so far is a reconditioned 16/512 unit for $340 less than the new machine.

I was hoping the M1’s would go on sale today - the release date on the M3’s.

Worth waiting for Black Friday sales, I think. Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

but just think of the possibilities if Clippy is AI powered

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 17.15.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 17.15.55.png
    685.4 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom