ACA - Non acceptance

Hyper

Recycles dryer sheets
EDIT: Proof Non acceptance

Dang!!
DW resigned from her job Dec, 31, 2021. We had already signed up for ACA HI in the regular enrollment period and it went very easy but did have to submit proof by March 12, 2022.
We submitted her resignation letter to her previous employer. We also submitted a letter from her previous employer stating her last day of employment.
ACA says they will not accept those:confused:? They keep trying to have us put either 2021 wages or -0- for 2022. Which would really screw things up.
We're currently typing up another letter stating we have moved across state and have no employment or healthcare eligibility.
We are also stating in the new letter that our 2022 income will be x amount from investments. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting ACA to accept these docs or :confused:?? Please.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you qualify for Medicaid with no income? If you need income maybe do a Roth conversion?

Wouldn't you qualify for Medicaid with no income? If you need income maybe do a Roth conversion?

We will have income from investments for 2022. We have stated x amount for 2022 on our application which was well above medicaid limits. For some reason ACA is not accepting this:confused:??

We will have income from investments for 2022. We have stated x amount for 2022 on our application which was well above medicaid limits. For some reason ACA is not accepting this:confused:??
Do you have 1099s from last year? I would try that.

are you being refused coverage or refused a subsidy?

I was wondering that. I assume they're getting quote the wrong rate because of the income issue.

What happens with that? Does it get settled up at tax time? Do you get back the subsidy you should have had?

It sounds like they're accepting your application for health insurance; they're just not accepting the documents you've provided as proof of income in order to calculate an advance subsidy. That makes sense because anybody can buy health insurance through the exchange, but not everybody is qualified for a subsidy.

One option is to put down your 2021 income and pay the full premium now. In that case, you'll get the subsidy as a huge tax refund when you file your 2022 return next year.

The second option is to look at the documentation requirements for whichever exchange you're purchasing from and follow those. A letter saying that you have no other health insurance and no job is just going to get you Medicaid. You need documents that show how much income you do have. If you happen to be in California, here's the list https://www.coveredca.com/documents-to-confirm-eligibility/income/. If you're using the healthcare.gov site, here's their list https://www.healthcare.gov/help/how-do-i-resolve-an-inconsistency/#household-income. If you're on another state's exchange, they should also have a list of acceptable documents.

If you cannot provide any of the documents they can accept to show how you're going to receive your income this year, then your state may have an "Attestation of Income" form which should also be available on their website. California says "Note: Self-attestation of income in a written statement signed under a penalty of perjury is accepted on a case-by-case basis."

It's up to you how hard you want to fight for an advance subsidy. If you don't want to or can't jump through the hoops to provide the required documents this year, you'll still be able to apply for a subsidy next year when you'll have your 2022 tax return to use as proof of income.

At the moment, we haven't been refused anything and still have the initial coverage until March 12, 22. Coverage will stop unless we provide acceptable reasons for needing ACA HI.
We've already submitted DW resignation letter and a letter from her previous employer stating last day of employment. We also tried to explain that we have moved across the state. They will not accept those documents.

Can you get a termination letter from your previous insurance? I was sent one when I went off aca and started medicare - I didn’t need it or ask for it. It seemed to be routine. It took a while but maybe if you call them they can send it. Alternatively a screenshot from your log in page for the insurance showing you are no longer covered?

As other have stated, they need proof of income or an attestation letter.

At the moment, we haven't been refused anything and still have the initial coverage until March 12, 22. Coverage will stop unless we provide acceptable reasons for needing ACA HI.
We've already submitted DW resignation letter and a letter from her previous employer stating last day of employment. We also tried to explain that we have moved across the state. They will not accept those documents.

That seems very odd. I would agree that a resignation letter is useless, that shows intent, not end of employment as an actual thing.

But I don't remember being asked for any of that stuff. I just said I was no longer employed.

Perhaps because you were employed at the time of enrollment? Still, odd. This might be a good time to engage an insurance broker.

What state is this? It sounds like you have a wrinkle going on here beyond the typical federal ACA, and you moved states in the meantime too (please include your to and from states for more help). I would not be surprised if you need a new sign up as a change-of-life event, but wait for others to chime in.

Same state but a 170 mile move across state.
I think last years 1099 Int form might just work:confused:? From the link Cathy63 provided.
Now to find it in one of the hundreds of boxes from the move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't find your state's list of documents as @cathy63 outlined, I would recommend calling your state marketplace phone number and ask what they require.

My guess is that you've moved to a state which has augmented ACA with additional health insurance programs, such as CA and NY.

hopefully it will be as easy as submitting 21' 1099 Int. Our minds have been mush for the last several months trying to get a cabin built. Doing the work hasn't been bad except for the snow. Getting materials has been horrendously bad. Driving all over creation to get materials.

Thank you for all replys!

Same state but a 170 mile move across state.
I think last years 1099 Int form might just work:confused:? From the link Cathy63 provided.
Now to find it in one of the hundreds of boxes from the move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can probably download it from the company's site.

That seems very odd. I would agree that a resignation letter is useless, that shows intent, not end of employment as an actual thing.

But I don't remember being asked for any of that stuff. I just said I was no longer employed.

Perhaps because you were employed at the time of enrollment? Still, odd. This might be a good time to engage an insurance broker.

What state is this? It sounds like you have a wrinkle going on here beyond the typical federal ACA, and you moved states in the meantime too (please include your to and from states for more help). I would not be surprised if you need a new sign up as a change-of-life event, but wait for others to chime in.

Yeah this the first time I've seen someone post that they're being denied coverage through ACA. Plenty of folks hassling with them for income verification but no one saying they can't get it.

In any of your correspondence with ACA have you explicitly stated “we are retired and will no longer seek paid employment, therefore will not have access to health care coverage from any other source“ or something similar? Sometimes you have to connect all the dots for them.

Have you called and discussed your situation? When I have issues with ACA applications, I called. I spoke to healthcare.gov in 2015 and our state exchange in 2020. Their job is to help with these glitches, and in both situations, talking to a live person cleared up the issue quickly.

Also, you can’t sign up before 60 days prior to the insurance loss event. Most insurances cover you until the end of the month, so maybe you simply aren’t eligible until February 1st.

You should also submit investment income proof to support your income estimate for next year.

Back
Top Bottom