Airplanes and the Flu

About a week before my travels I start a regiment of Echinacea, Olive leaf oil and Oil of oregano to bolster my immune system. The only downside is that I smell like a pizza!

We don't have any air travel planned but decided to not go into the city on the train for the next month or so until flu season subsides. We had a fun weekend going out every night over New Year's weekend but then I got the flu right after that. So far DH has not and I hope he does not get this flu - it is a rough one. The security guard who searched my purse at a concert was obviously sick so I knew I was doomed after that. I threw out all the tissues but in hindsight should have found a way to clean my wallet and should have changed purses as well.

Last edited:
One thing not mentioned yet is Zinc Gluconate. Used to be Zicam was the thing. Now most things branded with Zicam aren't zinc gluconate any more. But you can get TheraZinc. I personally believe that having this stuff on your soft pallet helps fend off the cold viruses you're bound to be breathing in those close quarters of the aircraft. I spray it in my mouth while saying "aaahh", so it goes back there and hits the place where my colds usually start.
Besides zinc gluconate, I just read an article about boosting your immune system by ingesting probiotics. Seemed weird to me that putting something in your gut could help something that happens (originally) in your nose, but there are human studies.

Human studies demonstrate that using these six strains of bacteria can reduce the incidence of colds and flu-like illnesses, an effect largely attributable to enhanced levels of IgA.

These guys are hawking a product, so take it with a grain of salt:

Probiotics Offer Powerful Anti-Flu Defense - Life Extension

One of the references:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18685511
CONCLUSIONS: These results demonstrate that a regular, long-term intake of various synbiotics may improve health by reducing the incidence and severity of respiratory diseases during the cold season.

Besides zinc gluconate, I just read an article about boosting your immune system by ingesting probiotics. Seemed weird to me that putting something in your gut could help something that happens (originally) in your nose, but there are human studies.

These guys are hawking a product, so take it with a grain of salt:

Probiotics Offer Powerful Anti-Flu Defense - Life Extension

One of the references:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18685511

Just use your recently-acquired Instant Pot to make yogurt. Probiotics the natural way. Tastes great too!

I heard that jumping up and down on one foot and rubbing your belly, will kill any pathogen that will cause you to sniffle, fart, sneeze or cough. With a mask. Or zinc. Or a flu shot. Or a glass of red wine. Or two. If you wash your hands. And don't touch your face. Or pick your nose. But only if you take vitamin C. And a zinc supplement. Or have sex 2x a week. If your stomach has a healthy flora and fauna. Sun, but not too much. But you can't have too much red meat, unless it's grass fed or organic. But not on a grill. With kale and green tea. Or tumeric. Or cinnamon. Unless it only has 85% of this. OR that.

Jeeze Louise! Just give me sex 2x a week!

He's a chiropractor, NOT an MD.

I prefer to get my advice from people who are actually qualified in the field in which they sell their products.

I apologize if this sounds harsh, but I've seen the victims of these chiropractor scam artists. Their MO is the same; promise miracle cures for incurable or chronic illnesses and conditions, sell all kinds of snake-oil and "treatments" which don't require an MD license, write books and quote "experts" who are also scammers.

The one DW went to wanted over $10K for a scam "treatment." Paid up front, with no refund if it didn't work. The argument went like this: "Real medical doctors can't cure your condition, what have you got to lose giving your money to me?" A sure hook for desperate people! It was exactly the type of high-pressure sales pitches we'd heard from timeshare and used-car salesmen. We passed.

Two other friends weren't so lucky. One passed away from the underlying illness that the scammer couldn't cure, the other realized it was a scam after paying and stopped going.

I could write a book on this scam (maybe I should!) but I'll stop there out of respect for those who want to believe.

I should add, I know an honest chiropractor well, and a couple more casually. I'm NOT anti-chiropractic! Only against those who use that qualification to masquerade as MDs.

Agree. He’s scope jumping discussing a virus.

I heard that jumping up and down on one foot and rubbing your belly, will kill any pathogen that will cause you to sniffle, fart, sneeze or cough. With a mask. Or zinc. Or a flu shot. Or a glass of red wine. Or two. If you wash your hands. And don't touch your face. Or pick your nose. But only if you take vitamin C. And a zinc supplement. Or have sex 2x a week. If your stomach has a healthy flora and fauna. Sun, but not too much. But you can't have too much red meat, unless it's grass fed or organic. But not on a grill. With kale and green tea. Or tumeric. Or cinnamon. Unless it only has 85% of this. OR that.

Jeeze Louise! Just give me sex 2x a week!

Agree, but with the glass of red wine.

We get the flu shot every year, without fail. This year it didn't work. Saturday morning found me wheezing and gasping for breath, unable to keep anything down, fever ... the whole catastrophe. At urgent care, they hydrated me with a bag of saline and a syringe of Zofran before sending me home with Tamiflu. Now the Unindicted Co-Conspirator has it.

It's a miserable bug this year.

It's a miserable bug this year.
Sorry to hear of your travails. It's well documented that even for the strains in the vaccine, the older you are, the higher likelihood your get the flu anyway. But based on the severity you report, your strain might not have been a target for the vaccine. Too bad they don't ID the viruses routinely.

Here's a handy tidbit of information from NHS UK

It depends on the type of bacteria or virus, what kind of surface they are on and what the surrounding environment is like, for example, if it's hot, cold, damp or sunny.
Cold viruses

Many different types of viruses can cause colds. The viruses can sometimes survive on indoor surfaces for more than seven days. In general, viruses survive for longer on non-porous (water resistant surfaces, such as stainless steel and plastics, than porous surfaces, such as fabrics and tissues. Although cold viruses have been shown to survive on surfaces for several days, their ability to cause an infection reduces rapidly and they don't often survive longer than 24 hours.

Most viruses which cause colds only survive on hands for a short amount of time. Some only last for a few minutes but 40% of rhinoviruses, a common cold-causing virus, are still infectious on hands after one hour.

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), another cold-like virus that can cause serious illness in children, can survive on worktops and door handles for up to six hours, on clothing, and tissues for 30-45 minutes and on skin for up to 20 minutes.
Flu viruses

Flu viruses capable of being transferred to hands and causing an infection can survive on hard surfaces for 24 hours. Infectious flu viruses can survive on tissues for only 15 minutes.
Like cold viruses, infectious flu viruses survive for much shorter periods on the hands. After five minutes the amount of flu virus on hands falls to low levels.
Flu viruses can also survive as droplets in the air for several hours; low temperatures increase their survival in the air.
Parainfluenza virus, which causes croup in children, can survive for up to 10 hours on hard surfaces and up to four hours on soft surfaces.

Stomach bugs

There are many germs that can cause a stomach bug. They include bacteria such as E. coli, salmonella, Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) and campylobacter, as well as viruses such as norovirus and rotavirus.
Salmonella and campylobacter survive for short periods of around 1-4 hours on hard surfaces or fabrics. Norovirus and C. difficile, however, can survive for much longer. In one study, C. difficile was shown to survive for five months. Norovirus can survive for days or weeks on hard surfaces.
When someone with norovirus vomits, the virus is distributed in small droplets in the air. These droplets can settle on surfaces, causing the virus to spread, so it’s important to clean surfaces thoroughly if someone in your home has norovirus.
Most bugs can be removed effectively by soap and water. To help prevent the spread of stomach bugs wash your hands thoroughly and regularly, particularly after going to the toilet, and prepare food carefully.

MRSA

The staphylococcus aureus bacteria that cause MRSA infections can survive for days to weeks on surfaces. MRSA bacteria can live on surfaces for longer than some other bacteria and viruses because they survive better without moisture. Generally, MRSA bacteria survive for longer on hard surfaces than on soft surfaces.
Herpes

Herpes viruses from cold sores around the mouth can survive for two hours on the skin. If you have a cold sore, try not to touch it. If you do touch it, for example to apply cold sore cream, wash your hands immediately afterwards.
Preventing the spread of infection

It’s not always possible to avoid catching an illness, but there are ways to reduce your risk and to prevent infections spreading to others:
Wash your hands regularly, particularly after going to the toilet, before handling food and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
Keep your home clean and hygienic, particularly if a member of your family is unwell. Read more in How to prevent germs from spreading.
Wash fabrics that may be contaminated with bacteria or viruses at 60C (140F) and with a bleach-based laundry product. Read more about keeping clothes clean in Can clothes and towels spread germs?

Back
Top Bottom