Another Reason to RE

How about a short snippet to inform members of the content?

"Older people are dying on the job at a higher rate than workers overall"

First line of the story. Capt Obvious anyone.

I would be more surprised if younger people die at a higher rate.

I would be more surprised if younger people die at a higher rate.

+1.. That would be a more interesting article. Four months before I left my MegaCorp at age 49 a guy in my group died. He was younger than me, maybe 43. We were not given the cause of his death from his wife, but word on the street was a heat attack. In fact she did not even provide people at work with funeral service information. He was new to project management and it was very clear he was overwhelmed and stressed out. My guess is that he took this home with him and vented to his wife. I'm sure she blames his early death on his j*b and I would not disagree with her. Just glade I got out alive...

If you read the article it's talking about more older workers dying from workplace related injuries than younger workers. This is not about heart attacks or other stress related issues. This article talks about falling off forklifts or getting blown up in workplace explosions. The increase in deaths is attributed to the age related issues such as arthritis, slower response time, etc. Makes sense. Not news in my opinion.

One thing about the study (I read it briefly) is that they are focusing on occupational injuries on jobs that involve physical labor (e.g., delivery drivers, warehouse workers) -- not the office type work that dominates here. So the focus is on stuff like falling down or getting your arm stuck in a machine.

"It excludes cases where the cause of death was from a 'natural cause,' including a heart attack, stroke among others."

p.s. I see Molly beat me to it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom