Anyone else using a prescription unloader knee brace?

CindyBlue

Full time employment: Posting here.
I just got one, for my medial (inside) right knee.

I'm hoping to put off a knee replacement for a few years, but I'd sure like to hear about those, too. I've read that 15% of knee replacements fail...does that mean if mine fails, I'd be basically a cripple for the rest of my life? That's why, at this moment, anyway, I'm reluctant to do the knee replacement.

The brace seems to be helping, but I've only used it for two days, so time will tell. I have a few pressure points and I'm hoping they can be fixed...anyone have any information for me about that?

I have a problem with the brace not really being washable, since I am planning to use it when working here on the ranch or playing pickleball or hiking (it will be ever so nice to do those again without as much pain (fingers tightly crossed!!)) and I don't want it to be stinky, so I'm investigating a knee sock or cover of some kind to go between my leg and the brace that I can wash. Does anyone use one and if so, does it stay put or make your brace slide out of place?

When DW had her knee replaced in January, there was a gentleman getting his replacement replaced. He told us that it was because of glue failure and not the artificial joint. I don't know if that fell in the 15% or not.
My 84 yo BIL, has 2 artificial knees and 2 artificial shoulders. He's the energizer bunny, still working part time when he is in FL for the winter, and on his 24' fishing boat on Lake Erie on every weather permitting day.

I am getting my knee scoped tomorrow for the second time; didn't find anything the first time back in March of 2021 of any importance , other than some arthritis, which he cleaned out. But my knee swells up like a softball, and I get some stabbing pain like someone is shooting me with a nail gun. A brace does not help me. The doc says my knees look 10 years younger than what I am as my spacing between bones and all ligaments were attached in the pictures and in the scope.

If you don’t have bone on bone there’s injections that have taken the place of knee replacements. One is using your own plasma after a series of injections of something else.

I’ve had injections galore over the years - steroids, some other stuff that was kinda expensive, some worked for a while (weeks or a couple months), but had first TKR at 57, second at 59.

Rehab is a bit of a PITA - walking without aid at 3 weeks, fairly normal at 8 weeks and 100% at ~ 3 months. Last one was about 2 years ago.

Last weekend I went on a series of hikes in the Texas hill country. First hike 4.5 hours. Afternoon hike 3 hours. Next day about 3 hours. This was up and down hilly limestone terrain. It once did my knees give me a single bit of pain or issue whatsoever. I made the decision to have this major surgery while I could still otherwise get around. Best decision I have made.

The American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons says there is a 0.5 to 1 percent chance each year that a patient's knee implant will fail. The association calculates that 90 to 95 percent of knee replacements will last 10 years and 80 to 85 percent will last at least 20 years.

I think the 15% failure may not be accurate.

When DW had her knee replaced in January, there was a gentleman getting his replacement replaced. He told us that it was because of glue failure and not the artificial joint. I don't know if that fell in the 15% or not.
My 84 yo BIL, has 2 artificial knees and 2 artificial shoulders. He's the energizer bunny, still working part time when he is in FL for the winter, and on his 24' fishing boat on Lake Erie on every weather permitting day.

I am getting my knee scoped tomorrow for the second time; didn't find anything the first time back in March of 2021 of any importance , other than some arthritis, which he cleaned out. But my knee swells up like a softball, and I get some stabbing pain like someone is shooting me with a nail gun. A brace does not help me. The doc says my knees look 10 years younger than what I am as my spacing between bones and all ligaments were attached in the pictures and in the scope.

I sure hope they figure out what is causing your pain and swelling! But you are so lucky to have good cartilage!

If you don’t have bone on bone there’s injections that have taken the place of knee replacements. One is using your own plasma after a series of injections of something else.

I've read about this...I don't have bone on bone yet, just very thin cartilage on the inside of both knees, the right thinner than the left. Way too many marathons and ride and tie races, plus working on the property, and standing for most of my career on a concrete floor overlaid with basically thin linoleum tiles...sigh...it's all catching up to me now!

I’ve had injections galore over the years - steroids, some other stuff that was kinda expensive, some worked for a while (weeks or a couple months), but had first TKR at 57, second at 59.

Rehab is a bit of a PITA - walking without aid at 3 weeks, fairly normal at 8 weeks and 100% at ~ 3 months. Last one was about 2 years ago.

Last weekend I went on a series of hikes in the Texas hill country. First hike 4.5 hours. Afternoon hike 3 hours. Next day about 3 hours. This was up and down hilly limestone terrain. It once did my knees give me a single bit of pain or issue whatsoever. I made the decision to have this major surgery while I could still otherwise get around. Best decision I have made.

This is very encouraging. I would sure like to get back to hard exercise without pain.

I am young enough and strong enough, disciplined and tough enough to make it through a knee replacement - that won't be an issue. I do need to lose some weight first - the bad knees, combined with my lack of exercise due to knee pain, combined with my hubby's good cooking and my unwillingness to resist anything he cooks hasn't helped me (smile!) I know that I'm the one who lifts the fork to my lips, but he loves to cook and is a great cook, and I can't resist anything he cooks! He is trying hard to make lower caloric meals for me (smile!)

I'm making progress...I'll have to revisit knee replacement when I lose the weight. Your experience is very encouraging!

The American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons says there is a 0.5 to 1 percent chance each year that a patient's knee implant will fail. The association calculates that 90 to 95 percent of knee replacements will last 10 years and 80 to 85 percent will last at least 20 years.

I think the 15% failure may not be accurate.

15% is what my doctor keeps reminding me of...scares the heck out of me to think I won't be able to do the things I want to do (hiking, pickleball, etc.)and the things I need to do (take care of the property, etc.) and the things I will need to do (my hubby has symptoms of Parkinson's and we are playing a waiting game right now...sigh...)

I sure hope they figure out what is causing your pain and swelling! But you are so lucky to have good cartilage!

Thanks CindyBlue! I just got home and finished up a omelet. It stings a little where I have had my pain, so maybe he found the issue. I'm chilling on the 'puter for a while, til I need a nap. Modern medicine is mindboggling! Surgery at 730am, home by 10am, The ice machine is on.

The only bad thing of the day was that my tenant of 21 years, just gave me notice that she bought a house. It's not really bad news, she and her family are moving up and I lose a long term discounted customer.

Thanks CindyBlue! I just got home and finished up a omelet. It stings a little where I have had my pain, so maybe he found the issue. I'm chilling on the 'puter for a while, til I need a nap. Modern medicine is mindboggling! Surgery at 730am, home by 10am, The ice machine is on.

The only bad thing of the day was that my tenant of 21 years, just gave me notice that she bought a house. It's not really bad news, she and her family are moving up and I lose a long term discounted customer.

He didn't tell you what he found.did when he scoped you? I totally agree about modern medicine - it's amazing what they can do!

Sorry about your tenant...it must be hard to find a new one - and a good one! Fingers crossed!

Unpainted, it’s not steroid injections. It’s something new that athletes are also using. 2 of my friends did it instead of having knee replacements.

Unpainted, it’s not steroid injections. It’s something new that athletes are also using. 2 of my friends did it instead of having knee replacements.

I was able to postpone my knee replacement by probably 2-3 years by using an injection (I think it was called Synvisc). It’s not steroids (although I had those too). It was always iffy if insurance would cover it. It worked for me, but it was temporary. As I recall one time it was 3-4 months and one time was a year or so. I’d definitely exhaust other avenues before such a major surgery.

Luckily for me all my joints are fine. Too bad it didn’t work long term.

He didn't tell you what he found.did when he scoped you? I totally agree about modern medicine - it's amazing what they can do!

Sorry about your tenant...it must be hard to find a new one - and a good one! Fingers crossed!

He talked to DW, and didn't get into specifics to her. He'll explain everything in my follow up.

Don't be sorry, it's part of the business. In 23 years, I've only had a few bad ones. It's like buying a stock that pays you dividends, you do your DD.

I have used a variety of unloader knee braces on both knees trying to avoid knee replacement. Some were by prescription and others were researched and purchased without one. It took awhile (and a bit of money) but I finally found one that worked well for me. Understand that it has to be adjusted a little at a time and worn for a few days before further adjustments.
I had no cartilage in one knee and very little left in the other. I tried a number of injections with Synvisc, then cortisone and even stem cell therapy with minimal results. I finally had to have one knee replaced when the pain got so bad I couldn't walk. It has been a few years now and the replacement still feels like I have a tight bandage around the knee but it is functional enough for walking and riding a bike. I have also adjusted my diet, lost 30 lbs, and ride about 15 miles most everyday. It has helped prevent replacing the other knee.
I did use a knee "sock" and found them to work well.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom