PSA: Computer (Mouse) Elbow

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I may be the only one so FWIW.

I play a lot of golf, and I’ve added pickleball a couple times a week over a year ago. A new heavier paddle and more play in October seemingly led to tennis elbow right arm. It was so bad at the start I couldn’t lift a coffee cup! It did get better with ice, heat and rest and I resumed pickleball using an elbow brace. Didn’t get any worse, but it hasn’t healed yet either months later. :(

I spend way too much time on my desktop Mac every day. A couple days ago I noticed a twinge in the bad elbow while using a mouse, I was leaning back in my chair operating the mouse with an outstretched arm. So I looked into proper computer ergonomics, and that’s a no no. I also found computer elbow and tennis elbow are indeed the same thing - lateral epicondylitis. [I’d studied and practiced proper computer ergonomics at work, but I’d forgotten…]

So I’ve spent less time at my desktop and used proper ergonomics and after a few days my elbow actually feels better. Hopefully I’m finally on the road to tennis elbow recovery.

Too soon old, too late smart…

Attachments

• IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Yeah, I feel naked and uncomfortable without an elbow support :)

As a person who spends way too much time using the mouse, I also recommend cushions for your wrist and using a vertical mouse, like: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ergonomic-Optical-Vertical-Buttons/dp/B00FPAVUHC/
They help way more with carpal tunnel syndrome, but elbow is twisted less with the vertical mouse.
Hopefully your recovery will be quick!

You could try switching to using a trackpad.

I actually use two, one one each side of the keyboard (smaller keyboard, not one with separate numbers). That way I can scroll with either hand.

You could try switching to using a trackpad.

I actually use two, one one each side of the keyboard (smaller keyboard, not one with separate numbers). That way I can scroll with either hand.
I have a track pad, my poor ergonomics were my problem…:facepalm:

I got pads for the armrests on my desk chair. They raise the elbow a bit so I don't have as much of a chance to and my arm is straighter than without. My elbow and wrist are about the same level this way. I have carpal and orbital tunnel - they are similar but orbital originates in the elbow and affects the ring and pinkie fingers vs the others.

I have the same problem. too much time using the mouse. I have changed the ergonomics at my desk a number of times. Looks like I may need to change it again.

Retiring in 20 weeks so 90% of the mousing should go away and the problem will take care of itself.

I had this issue at one time due to mouse usage.

So I switched the mouse to the other hand and changed the settings for the mouse to be proper for the other hand.

For the first few days I'd reach over with my bad hand to find no mouse, but then I got used to it.

After a few weeks I switched back.

I've tried a lot of vertical mice.
I have an added complication of arthritis causing issues with my scrolling. The one I found that works best for me is one from 3M.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgbjw011267/

I also found programming a key on my keyboard to duplicate mouse clicks works very well. It takes some of the load off my mouse button finger. I use a Logitech keyboard with some programable keys.

The single, best ergonomic solution I have bought though has to be a RollerMouse.
https://contourdesign.com/collections/rollermouse

It is expensive, but it is also, IMO, well worth it.

Years ago I started to feel carpal tunnel or something similar coming on in my mouse hand (right hand). I forced myself to switch the mouse to the left hand and that solved it. It only took a day or so to get used to the switch. After a while I switched back and have used my right hand ever since.

I have trouble with my right wrist at times. I do the light touch clicks on the track pad and that helps. Minimal pushing down.

I do have a “wrist rest” in front of my keyboard.

I learned that shucking oysters is a no no! It took me almost 2 years to recover my wrist strength!

Piano playing can be a problem at times. I wear a wrist brace when playing and try not to overdo it.

Fortunately I have never experienced elbow problems!

I may be the only one so FWIW.

Wow, I'm sorry that you have been going through this! I was going to jokingly post that you were indeed the only one (didn't realize it could happen and that it was that painful). But now I see that some other forum members have had this problem with their computer mouse too and you're really suffering with this problem.

I have noticed that various computer [-]mouses[/-] (mice?) work better or worse for me. My problem with these devices is different from yours. In my case, I'm insanely clumsy and keep either dropping them or sometimes nearly throwing them at the floor. I tried dozens, some quite pricey, and I finally found this one:the perfect mouse for me,

Much to my shock and delight, it only costs $6.99 and it is tough, takes me a half year to destroy one.

Good mouse for grandchildren too, I'd think (though we don't have any). Anyway, maybe you could find a mouse that causes less pain for you? I have no idea but thought I'd suggest it.

My setup is very close to your diagram. Years ago, I found that my right (dominant) hand would fatigue from overuse (including all the other things that I favor the right to do), so I tend to mouse left handed, and that is better.

I had a severs problem with my right arm about 10 years ago due to mousing. Changing position and using a better mouse helped repair that. I found that wireless mice required less effort. The position of the buttons and pressure required can help or hinder you.

During COVID I had to switch buttons, as my index finger was getting over-used on the left button. A few years of middle finger on the right button as primary fixed that. I switched back to normal left-right buttons, and that has been entertaining. Sometimes when I'm clicking I can confure the previously-reversed buttons.

My wired keyboard is on a large typewriter pad (much like a large mouse pad. That relieves stress on your wrists like a dedicated wrist pad. I also push my mouse pad with integrated wrist pad well back from the desk edge, and put another flat mouse pad in the space there.

I have always tried to follow the ergonomic guidelines, but not the easiest when at work on multiple workstations used by others. In my office, easy. However, I finally had to switch to a left handed mouse the last two years to give my right wrist, elbow and shoulder a break. It worked well.

At home, I have the body mechanics down and correct for everything but my neck--having a laptop, I cannot elevate the screen. I could get a mouse and have the laptop up higher, but I am not on the computer enough daily to cause any problems.

I developed severe carpal tunnel at w*rk by mousing all day. After a cortisone shot my doctor recommended a vertical mouse. Problem solved nearly overnight.

There are many varieties, but by simply turning the forearm 90 degrees completely resolved the pain issue.

_B

Back
Top Bottom