anyone fainted/blacked out?

Yup, once. We were out for Mexican food years ago, and I began to feel ill. I was getting up to run to the restroom, but instead face-planted into the refried beans. Next thing I knew I was in the hospital, where they 'highly-encouraged' me to stay, even after I was feeling great. That was probably the worst night of my life. $20K of tests and they found nothing. At 2 a.m. they woke me up to take out the IV and at 3 a.m. she came back to say that had been a mistake and they were putting it back in. I had a meltdown and refused. I left at 6 a.m. against doctor's orders (they told me insurance wouldn't pay if I left, but they did). I told DH that next time, just let me flounder in the beans.

I also have vasovagal syncope. I'm "lucky" in that I get plenty of warning before an episode...a good 20 - 40 seconds which gives me plenty of time to take steps to prevent an occurrence. Of course, the first 2 times it happened I didn't know what it was and tried to fight through the lightheadedness (worst thing you can do) and passed out.

I also have vasovagal syncope. I'm "lucky" in that I get plenty of warning before an episode...a good 20 - 40 seconds which gives me plenty of time to take steps to prevent an occurrence. Of course, the first 2 times it happened I didn't know what it was and tried to fight through the lightheadedness (worst thing you can do) and passed out.

So, this never happened to me ever. That is until twice in the last year while in the doctors office. It’s pretty awful. Exactly how do you prevent it with warning? Fighting it hasn’t worked so well for me.

So, this never happened to me ever. That is until twice in the last year while in the doctors office. It’s pretty awful. Exactly how do you prevent it with warning? Fighting it hasn’t worked so well for me.

Lie down.

Both times I tried to fight it and stayed upright I passed out. I now lay down with legs elevated and also tense my leg/core muscles.

Management of Vasovagal Syncope | Circulation

"leg crossing combined with tensing of leg, abdominal, and buttock muscles can be applied as a natural means of improving venous return such that the vasovagal syncope is aborted or at least temporarily controlled."

Lie down.

Exactly.

Three weeks ago DH and I were in a crowded restaurant, a Japanese noodle house, and a lone man in his late 30s was sitting at a small table next to me on a bench-style seat quietly eating a bowl of ramen. Ten minutes later he collapses sideways, his head landing on my shoulder. I grabbed him from falling and looked at his face; he was completely unconscious. I pulled him to the floor, noted no seizure activity and he had a pulse. Once flat on the floor he quickly aroused and asked what happened. He then explained that he was home for 4 days with the flu, started feeling better and thought he should go get something to eat. He said just prior to passing out, he felt light-headed but didn't know what to do or say in a room full of strangers.

Last edited:
Thanks music lover and Meadbh. I’ll try that. It’s downright embarrassing. When did I become such a wimp as to vagal at the sight of blood or tension? The answer is apparently in the last year. The embarrassment is only exceeded by the awful feeling of everything shutting down and going dim.

Thanks music lover and Meadbh. I’ll try that. It’s downright embarrassing.

The first time it happened to me I was at a band rehearsal. I felt dizzy and sat down while still playing, but I was still upright. Then I stopped playing and said "guys, I don't feel well" and immediately passed out...not for long, maybe 10 - 15 seconds. It scared the heck out of my band mates, one of which was seconds away from calling 911. Yes, it was embarrassing, but also frightening as I had no idea what happened. They drove me home (wouldn't let me drive) and until I was able to see a doctor I envisioned all sorts of horrible things...mini stroke, something neurological, etc..

I get the vasovagal if anyone is tending to my wounds. Happened once as a kid, rode my bike barefoot, foot slipped and sliced off the tip of my big toe, friends mom was a nurse and I passed out on their floor. In college I had a plantars wart removed from my heel, back in the waiting room waiting for my ride, I could tell I was gonna pass out, so I sat down on the floor, that way I didn't fall. After my shoulder surgery, DH was changing my bandage and there I went. Somehow I managed to figure out that if I have a popsicle or ice to suck on it keeps me from getting queasy, and have never had it happen since. Yes I bring my own cup of ice with me to procedures now, lol.

Vasovagal syncope (vay-zoh-VAY-gul SING-kuh-pee) occurs when you faint because your body overreacts to certain triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. It may also be called neurocardiogenic syncope.
The vasovagal syncope trigger causes your heart rate and blood pressure to drop suddenly. That leads to reduced blood flow to your brain, causing you to briefly lose consciousness.

Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. But it's possible you may injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode. Your doctor may recommend tests to rule out more serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders.

DW has passed out three times, Her trigger is getting sick to stomach feeling. I have had one episode becasue of waking up in middle of night to her yelling my name, Dr said mine was because of the Vasivagal issue...

I was diagnosed with this when I was younger. I've passed out about eight times over my lifetime spread out over about 25 years. Twice it happened when I fell hard off my bicycle and lost consciousness. Once it happened when I had to get a shot with a big needle. Once when the eye doctor put his finger on my eye. Once after a medical procedures involving multiple needles in my foot. Once on an airplane after having a glass of wine and standing up too quickly. Once after dinner while under extreme stress. Once at high altitude after drinking a margarita. And once at high altitude after going into the hot tub.

It's not fun, but it's very peaceful as long as I don't hit anything on the way down. I did break a finger once while at high altitude in a hotel on a business trip. And I broke my hand on one bicycle accident, and my pelvis on the second accident.

Most times an ambulance was called but I've always refused to go to the ER because I know why it happens and I'm always fine after I come out of it. I have really vivid dreams while being out as well. It's a very strange experience.

We just got back from the hot springs and were reminded of the frequency of people who pass out from the hot water. Add in a little alcohol and altitude and it's a common occurrence.

My BP a half hour later was 112/76 that's low for me.

I’ve had extremely full bladder (to the point of cramping) irritate the vagus nerve and knock me out. Also google micturation syncope. But I have a long history of fainting. If it was your first time I’d get it checked out.

I’ve had extremely full bladder (to the point of cramping) irritate the vagus nerve and knock me out.

oooh, that would suck. Not only passing out, which is bad enough, but bladder release on unconsciousness.

oooh, that would suck. Not only passing out, which is bad enough, but bladder release on unconsciousness.

Oh no in my case I passed out right after still on the toilet. Twice! Would have been nice to get my pants back up tho!

Yes, but mine involved a bottle of Jack Daniels. Probably not what you were really asking... [emoji41]

I did once on a spa day with my girlfriends getting our nails done. I mentioned to one of them that I felt a little dizzy, and the next thing I know they were surrounding me while I was sitting on the ground.

And I had to leave a Bikram Yoga class a few months ago because I felt like I was going to faint.

I've fainted a few times, a couple times after smoking marijuana then getting overheated. One time was at a hot and crowded concert in the summer, where I spent most of the time sitting on the floor because every time I stood up I'd start feeling faint. Then once after roller skating. Possibly, low blood sugar was also a factor there.

Last time I fainted was on the deck of a cruise ship while watching the ship pull out of port. Heat was involved again (but not MJ), as we'd spent the day wandering around Puerto Rico. Then we had a big dinner on board. Right afterwards we were leaning against the rail at the stern watching the water swirling behind the ship, when I suddenly felt swirly myself, and said to DBF, "I need to sit down," but it was too late -I hit the deck. I've felt faint a number of times in the heat, especially after a meal which I suppose diverts a lot of blood flow to your stomach. I'm good about staying hydrated, though I do tend to have low blood pressure, and that combined with heat and food seems to cause problems.

Several years ago we were looking at flights for a vacation on my upstairs computer, and when we found something, I ran down stairs to get my wallet. When running back up the stairs at the top, my legs went out from under me, and it seemed like I blacked out for a second but caught my fall by grabbing the upstair sofa before hitting the floor, never really lost consciousness. Do not know for sure what the cause was, but suspected it was a rapid change in BP. Never happened again.

Back
Top Bottom