Anyone Here Use Silver Sneaker Program?

rdy2go

Recycles dryer sheets
As part of my Humana Medicare Advantage plan, I will have access to local gyms by using the Silver Sneakers Program. I assume that it will just allow me access to the basic equipment at the gyms but am curious what you all think about the program.

Thanks!

DW and both have this (or something similar.....at least one of us has SS) from our (different) health plans. We use 24 Hr Fitness centers. It's fine, costs nothing.....you can use the basic equipment. DW also attends lots of classes.....pilates, etc......there.

I think my mom was using it before... she does have Humana and goes to the gym 2 or 3 times a week... I think she gets a discount... as she still pays $35... it is the local Y...

I would take advantage of it if offered....

DH uses it at the Y. Basically he is treated just like a regular Y member (which I am). If it is something I wouldn't have to pay a fee for, he doesn't have to pay one either. I pay $45 a month for my membership so that is basically the value of him having it.

Texas Proud - I am very surprised to hear she is paying at the Y. My husband goes to the Y with his and has full access at no charge.

Thanks for the replies. We have an Anytime Fitness close by and my daughter is a member there. I'll go over there with her one of these days and get started. I have hopes of getting in better shape after I retire where i won't be taking clients out to lunch, sitting all day long at a computer or in a car and having to stress over traffic. I'd rather wear out than rust out!

I have it at 24 Hour Fitness. At 24 Hour Fitness, they consider the membership a corporate membership: you can access any club in their network, no restrictions on use of facilities or classes.

Around here, the YMCA's have declined to participate in Silver Sneakers. This is probably a financial issue for them. They aren't getting enough in monthly payments from the Silver Sneakers programs.

DH uses it at the Y. Basically he is treated just like a regular Y member (which I am). If it is something I wouldn't have to pay a fee for, he doesn't have to pay one either. I pay $45 a month for my membership so that is basically the value of him having it.

Texas Proud - I am very surprised to hear she is paying at the Y. My husband goes to the Y with his and has full access at no charge.

I know her previous insurance paid for it, but when we moved to Humana they did not... I will have to check again to see...

I did check the Y and she is paying less than if she had not been in it before... I believe she pays $35 and the retail price is $50...

When business was slow, many local gyms participated in Silver Sneakers, but now that population and gym demand has picked up, like Rita mentioned many nearby gyms have backed away from these programs.
I think 24 hour fitness is still included, but it is kind of a long walk or bus ride + walk for me, so I am not using it now.

Ha

Last edited:
As part of my Humana Medicare Advantage plan, I will have access to local gyms by using the Silver Sneakers Program. I assume that it will just allow me access to the basic equipment at the gyms but am curious what you all think about the program.

Thanks!

I know that quite a few of the seniors at our YMCA are in the Humana Silver Sneakers program, and they attend all the free classes in the pool and fitness rooms as well as the exercise machines. (and the free coffee in the seating area where we all exercise our tongues)

I was surprised and pleased to learn that my Jazzercise center accepts Silver Sneakers, and
It's definitely being used there.

There is also a company American Specialty Health, that offers a competitor program to SilverSneakers call Silver and Fit. It is also offered through health plans. The number of gyms is more limited than SilverSneakers.

Not sure that they even have the 13,000 clubs that SilverSneakers claims.
https://www.silverandfit.com/

Back
Top Bottom