Programming a replacement Remote Key Entry fob

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
One of the two key fobs (Remote Key Entry transmitters) to our 2022 Bolt EUV has gone missing. The dealer wants $300+ for a new fob, programming, and cutting the key. Outrageous, of course.

I ordered a replacement from Amazon for $40. The owner's manual outlines the procedure for programming a fob when you have only one, and it is a complex 30 minute multi-step procedure with built in timing delays. I assume the delays are to discourage theft as the procedure for programming a third when you have two working fobs is a quick 5 minute process.

My big concern is this part of the procedure: "Repeat step 2 two additional times. After the third time all previously known transmitters will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining transmitters can be relearned during the next steps." IOW, if I screw something up I could end up with both the old and new fob inoperative and I won't be able to start the car. Yikes.

Here's my plan B: I'm going to do my reprogramming while sitting in the dealership parking lot. :)

My big concern is this part of the procedure: "Repeat step 2 two additional times. After the third time all previously known transmitters will no longer work with the vehicle. Remaining transmitters can be relearned during the next steps." IOW, if I screw something up I could end up with both the old and new fob inoperative and I won't be able to start the car. Yikes.

Here's my plan B: I'm going to do my reprogramming while sitting in the dealership parking lot. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. If you screw up, you may have to spend some time reprogramming the remotes. This may even take a couple hours if you really mess up. Still, the remote you have that came with the car should still be able to be programmed even if it gets deleted during the process. Just take your time and be methodical with your steps.

When I have something that has gone missing, I look all over for it.
Then DW will look and find it :eek:

This would be the easiest solution, if your DW is like most women. I think our minds are just set up for finding such items. Honestly, and not meaning to brag, I have never lost a key fob in my life. It's just not something that ever, ever happens to me. "A place for everything, and everything in its place" as my mother used to tell me long ago.

That said, if a key fob malfunctioned I'd be up a creek without a paddle! I doubt I could ever get another one fixed or programmed correctly, no matter how many youtube videos I watched on how to do it. Maybe doing that's a "guy thing".

Last edited:

I believe most modern mobile locksmiths can do car fob programming. Might see what they cost or if they can do the simple reprogram for a lower cost, which also might put on them hook (to fix) if it fails.

ETA: I'd bet YouTube has a video that walks you through the reprogram process and discusses the pitfalls/gotchas.

Last edited:

When I cannot find something that I misplaced, I do one of 2 things. First is, I wait it out. Sooner or later, most of the time, it will show up. Most recently, the 2nd remote for my car. After about 2 weeks it showed up yesterday in DW's purse. She quietly put it on the key rack and didn't tell me.

The 2nd thing I do, if I cannot wait, is to ask DW to come and help look for it. Usually that requires me to explain where and what I was doing to look for it. I would say that 50% of the time she finds the missing item and the other 50%, I find it, even after looking by myself for maybe 10-15 minutes moments before.

IIWM, I would read up on what happens if the reprogramming fails in the middle for whatever reason. If there is a DIY recovery solution, I would just go ahead and give it a try. If no solution is found or the posts are that the car or remotes are bricked, I "might" just belly up and have either the dealer or a locksmith do the reprogramming. BTD.

Sort of related, I bought an old 2004 F-150 that only had one transponder type key. I learned there are places that can duplicate a key, so you have two keys - but that second key is really just a copy of the first key. To the vehicle's computer, the two keys are identical. The second key is not really a unique programmed key to the vehicle computer. So you can't do the self-programming of a third key since the two keys are viewed as one by the vehicle computer.

I ended up going to a locksmith that hooked to the vehicle computer and programmed a unique second key. I had purchased 2 key blanks off ebay for cheap, and the locksmith cut both. Programmed one key and the total bill was like $80. I then programmed the third key myself since I had 2 unique keys at that point.

So my point is you might be able to just go to a place that duplicates the first key, and not have to worry about the vehicle computer programming.

Thanks for all your responses and encouragement.

Sadly, that's not the case in the REW household. DW is forever misplacing something that I have to find.

I failed to mention that it was her key fob that went missing, I still have mine. She and I both have looked everywhere we can think of without success.

In your shoes I would definitely spend another $40 for an additional key.

Yes, I also ordered a third, this one only $20 but two week delivery from China. I never want to be in this situation again.

Off to search YouTube videos and look for local locksmiths...

I failed to mention that it was her key fob that went missing, I still have mine. She and I both have looked everywhere we can think of without success.

Might be worth considering gluing an AirTag or Tile to the fob. That would at least make it findable.

Thanks for all your responses and encouragement.

Sadly, that's not the case in the REW household. DW is forever misplacing something that I have to find.

Yes, I also ordered a third, this one only $20 but two week delivery from China. I never want to be in this situation again.

Off to search YouTube videos and look for local locksmiths...
I’m positive the lost fob will soon be found. Probably not long after you pay to have the replacement units programmed. :)

I am the same as REW... DW misplaces stuff way more often than I do... at least once a week (and sometimes a lot more) she is walking around say 'where is my phone?'...

Now, from what my DD says it is easy as she has an Iphone and an Apple watch so should be able to do it in secs..

I will throw out something one of my sister's said... so, you lost something and are looking all over the place to try and find it... where would you put it after you found it:confused: In the FIRST place you looked!! That is where you think it should be...

One of the FOBS for my Nissan stopped working. I ordered an OEM Fob from Amazon for $60. I took it to a locksmith who charged me $200 to program it.
I was out a total of $260, I don't know waht the Nissan dealership whould charge, I just assumed it woul be more.

In our house if something was lost we offered a reward. When the kids lived here this worked really well, more people looking for it.

Now that it's just DH and I it's more a matter of thinking like the other person. If DH walked into this room carrying something where would he put it down, where would it fall if knocked over, what would he put on top of something so that it wouldn't be seen.

When I've lost something it's often been I know where I put it and I look there first, don't see it, rummage around and later find it where I knew I left it but just didn't see it when I looked.

I try to laugh about it instead of getting pissed off about aging!

When I lose something, I go to the last place I knew I had it and retrace steps from there, talking my way through. It works.

When I lose something, I go to the last place I knew I had it and retrace steps from there, talking my way through. It works.

It does...unless, say over a period of a couple of months, both of your fobs disappear. Your spouse says you probably left it so-and-so, or offers other helpful ideas while basically shaking their head, oh silly you, losing stuff tut tut tut.

Down to your manual valet key, you pay a couple of hundred bucks at the dealer for a new key and guard it with your life.

Over the next couple of months, the original two keys turn up: One, DH finds in his office drawer. The other, slides out of his laptop bag one day.

(so yeah, no amount of retracing would have worked for me as somehow DH walked off with both of them!)

Did you search on Chevybolt.org? Lots of threads there to review.

Yes, I've searched the website and have seen the two threads you listed.

Note than many of the posts about programming a new/replacement are in regard to pre 2022 Bolts which use a different frequency fob. Some of the unsuccessful attempts discussed in those threads involve attempting to program replacements for 2022 and 2023 model years using key fobs with the old frequency, something I think I've avoided with my Amazon purchase.

I'll report back on my programming success :) after I give it a try tomorrow.

It does...unless, say over a period of a couple of months, both of your fobs disappear. Your spouse says you probably left it so-and-so, or offers other helpful ideas while basically shaking their head, oh silly you, losing stuff tut tut tut.

Down to your manual valet key, you pay a couple of hundred bucks at the dealer for a new key and guard it with your life.

Over the next couple of months, the original two keys turn up: One, DH finds in his office drawer. The other, slides out of his laptop bag one day.

(so yeah, no amount of retracing would have worked for me as somehow DH walked off with both of them!)

Yes. My method is no substitute for needed counseling. ;)

One of the two key fobs (Remote Key Entry transmitters) to our 2022 Bolt EUV has gone missing. The dealer wants $300+ for a new fob, programming, and cutting the key. Outrageous, of course.

I ordered a replacement from Amazon for $40. The owner's manual outlines the procedure for programming a fob when you have only one, and it is a complex 30 minute multi-step procedure with built in timing delays. I assume the delays are to discourage theft as the procedure for programming a third when you have two working fobs is a quick 5 minute process.

When I lost one of mine a few years ago I bought an Amazon replacement and the dealership where I bought my truck programmed it for free in about 5 minutes. If they want your future business they'll take care of you, especially when it doesn't cost them a penny.

Regarding lost items, MIL used to say "it's always in the last place you look". Makes sense, not gonna keep looking if it's there. Building off that logic, for a speedy search, maybe look in the last place first.

Back
Top Bottom