Are you still an athlete?

I've run at least one marathon a year since 2008, and just signed up for my next one in August. I've had some health issues that have slowed me down the last couple of years but I'm working to get back in shape to qualify for Boston again. Very unlikely to make it this year but maybe I can qualify next year for 2021 or 2022. I still bristle a bit if someone calls me a jogger. I'm a runner, dammit!

Me too. People roll their eyes when they ask if I went “jogging” and I say “I don’t jog, I run.”

I was mostly a casual league and pick-up game athlete growing up. I bike and am writing this during our 1,800 mile bike vacation. When at home, I am playing b-ball 3 times per week at the Y. Players are 20 to 70. The younger better players adjust their game.

Prior to our last move, I found a no check, older gentler pick up ice hockey game. It had been about 20 years since I played. It is among the activities I miss most since moving away.

But I was able to join my daughters coed softball team. So I played last summer. After X number of years I was not too disappointed with my playing. My throwing arm however needs an amazing amount of work. Having said that, none of my old teams would have invited me back.

The Y has pickleball, I plan on trying that this summer.

I consider myself a jogger, but I do jog in running shoes. So I guess it's debatable.

If one could provide a definitive pace that separates a runner from a jogger, then I'd know for sure. :cool:

Definitive? No, but a number I've used is:

"Jogging is defined as going at a pace of less than 6 mph, while running is defined as anything faster than 6 mph."

Google "the difference between running and jogging" and you'll see many sites that use this description.

I run a dozen races a year, mostly 5k's and one half marathon, I'll run as long as I'm able, then jog as long as I can.

Last edited:

"Jogging is defined as going at a pace of less than 6 mph, while running is defined as anything faster than 6 mph."

Google "the difference between running and jogging" and you'll see many sites that use this description.

Nope again. There is no set pace that defines it, any more than there is a dollar amount cutoff to determine whether you are rich or not. Individuals may find their own cutoff to be 8 or 10 min miles, but one size does not come close to fitting all.

My co worker classifies 30 minutes of reading a book as 30 minutes of moderate daily excercise. And I guess geckos are dragons. She tells this to her health insurer too. Its not helping her. In other news, I saw a dragon thr other day..it was like a mini dragon.

I run a dozen races a year, mostly 5k's and one half marathon, I'll run as long as I'm able, then jog as long as I can.

Lol good point. When I start my 15k I run annually...i am running a race with other runners. By the time I finish I am jogging to the finish line...even my sprint at the end is slower than my running at the beginning 😆

Played Pickleball on vacation on the East side of FLA. The competition was really quite good. Sore as heck right now.

Still plugging along at 62. I still play lacrosse with the younger folks but I don't run up and down the field anymore as a middie. I can pass the ball plenty quick enough :) I don't race bicycles anymore so biking, skiing, etc are sports I play but not competitively.

I must still be an athlete though because I spend more time rehabbing and repairing strains and pains now than I ever did when I was younger.......

At 61 I'm nowhere near as athletic as I once was (baseball and football as a young guy with some accolades) but my golf game is as good as it's ever been. I usually hover around a 5 handicap and got as low as 3.0 last summer. Still play from from either the back tees or one up from the back. Of course, I also play around 130 rounds a year while living in New England, so I guess practice does make (kinds sorta) perfect!

I marvel at the runners and their stories. On the few occasions I try to run (or even jog), I can only describe the feeling as my body being a bag of loose bones. Every stride is jarring to my entire body and my lack of fluidity is astonishing! My hat is off to the runners...

Here's a good take on it.

https://www.verywellfit.com/difference-between-running-and-jogging-2911122

If you're looking for a more specific answer, there isn't one.

How about just getting rid of the word jogging? It’s a weird word anyway. Everyone is either a runner or not. There’s not two words for tennis. You either play or your don’t. I don’t play tennis while you of lesser exertion play only jennis. Or I play pickleball, while you of lesser exertion play.....okay bad example. There is no lesser exertion with pickleball [emoji4].

It’s settled. Let’s start a new trend beginning here at Er.org.

As long as the body is willing.
I alternate between my two main sports, cycling and running (approx 10 hrs/wk min to keep the base) + weight training and walking on the rest days.
Seasonally, I add in cross country skiing and hiking.
An hour and a half of body work with stretching each day helps to keep injuries in check.

I'm amazed at how much better the top athletes are in every sport.

Football--I could never throw a football very far, and these QBs throw far, on target, and under a rush.

Basketball -- guys my height can dunk, and I could never even touch the rim.

Swimming-- I feel like an egg beater, thrashing in the water, and I watch good swimmers just cut through the water in amazement.

Gymnastics -- Where do I begin?

Lots more, but those really come to mind.

Some sports I'm respectable enough at. Running, I've at least earned a spot to start the Boston marathon the same time as the elite men (wave 1, wayyyy in the back). Golf, I can actually drive a ball far, and have hit a hole in one, but I lack any consistency and was on the wrong side of 100 more times than not. I pitched baseball in HS and hit a few over fences so I'm not totally out of my league there.

I'm amazed at how much better the top athletes are in every sport.

Football--I could never throw a football very far, and these QBs throw far, on target, and under a rush.

Basketball -- guys my height can dunk, and I could never even touch the rim.

Swimming-- I feel like an egg beater, thrashing in the water, and I watch good swimmers just cut through the water in amazement.

Gymnastics -- Where do I begin?

Lots more, but those really come to mind.

Some sports I'm respectable enough at. Running, I've at least earned a spot to start the Boston marathon the same time as the elite men (wave 1, wayyyy in the back). Golf, I can actually drive a ball far, and have hit a hole in one, but I lack any consistency and was on the wrong side of 100 more times than not. I pitched baseball in HS and hit a few over fences so I'm not totally out of my league there.

I've been running since junior high school. It was really the only sport I was good at. Fortunately it became a bit of a fad in the 70's and now is pretty mainstream. And luckily it is something you don't need others around to do.

Football - retired from touch football when I hit junior high.
Baseball - loved the sport but it did not love me.
Basketball - can't dribble worth beans.
Swimming - get too enthusiastic and go aerobic quickly. Can swim a few laps.
Gymnasics - are you kidding?
etc. etc.

Here's a runner. 70 yr old woman in an epic finish at the Western States 100 miler a few years ago. You have 30 hours to run 100 miles from Squaw Valley to Auburn CA, over mountains and thru hot hot valleys, finishing on a HS track, the most prestigious ultra marathon in the US, if not the world. There is no mercy, if you don't make it in 30 hours, you don't get an official finish. The guy who had won the race some 15 hours earlier was one of the people who went out on the course and ran the last mile with her.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10153307128530412

I had heard of that race and how brutal it was - I did not know about the "no official finish" rule - what a great video and accomplishment for her. Plus all of the support. Her smile at the end is awesome. Thanks for posting the link.

I play badminton, do and teach a spin class, lift weights, snow ski, hike and do water aerobics and swim. I compete in badminton and did a sprint tri-athlon for my 50th birthday. My best section was the swim; the worst, the run.

I consider myself athletic - but not necessarily an athlete as I consider athletes hard-core.

Still play tennis at least 3 times a week and work out on my off days. Tennis good physical activity but also a big part of my social life.

No, But I Should Be

Played very competitive basketball until age 45 (I am now 65). Quit that sport since I was going for a black belt in karate and couldn't do both. Keep up the second sport until about 50. I was an active runner as well all my life but haven't done so in seven months due to a nagging sciata pain I can't get rid of. Currently living in a smaller retirement town that has some of the most competitive senior basketball teams in the whole country, which I should get involved with. Bottom line - sure miss organized sports and I need to get back to them.

65 years old and still referee youth soccer (U16-19) most weekends. Keeps me fit and its fun to get out and run around with the young folk.

When I was 12, during the summer, I played whiffle ball almost every day. Great fun. If I could have dreamed, at that point, I would have wanted to play whiffle ball when I retired.

Pretty close, I'm almost 68. I play senior softball 3 days a week. In the San Fernando Valley, we just had 220 people sign up for the senior softball spring/summer season. In Thousand Oaks, there's about another 180 people signed up. Great fun.

I ain't as good as I once was......but every once in a while, I AM !!!!!

At 83, No longer an athlete, but a supporter. ;)

But my very best friend from Bowdoin College... for 60+ years... still plays tennis, swims and is in great shape. He was Breaststroker on our New England Championship Medley Relay team for three years in a row. He just sent me a link to this Maine paper and a pic...

Attachments

• Hody @1.jpg
    Hody @1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Hody runner.jpg
    Hody runner.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I'm not sure about the earlier golfers are athletes comment. I ran my first marathon at age 46, Pro golfer Justin Leonard ran his first in the same race, he was 29. I'm an average runner. I beat him by two minutes. I've played tennis for 50 years, I'm 63 and my wife and I both play competitive tennis still. We're can beat most high school players and sometimes a current college player, if it is a small college. We both still run, hike and play pickleball. Never stop moving!

In my 43rd year playing racquetball. Started when I was 14 years old, still play twice a week. Started walking/hiking with our two dogs when I FIRE'd 2+ years ago. Did 430 miles in 2018, shooting for 500 this year. Lost 24 lbs, have been at my college weight for almost 2 years now and denying myself nothing in the way of food, although I don't eat stupidly. This old body better keep up, because I ain't stopping!!

Ran 2 5k's last year at age 60-61. Got the 3rd place medal in my age group in both races. Hint, there were only 3 in my age group. Time was a hair under 30 minutes.

I also do low impact cardio on a rowing machine. There are online competitions. I finished in the top 1/3 of 2,296, all age groups. Finished in the top 10% of my age group. This was a 1,000 meter row in about 3 1/2 minutes.

On the Concept2 website, you can enter your time over a certain distance, such as 5,000 meters. I am in the 10% in most of the categories for my age group.

The competitive nature motivates me to work out harder. Improve my time by 5 seconds and I can move up 4 places, etc.

Of course, DW assures me that this will make no difference in our love life.

Back
Top Bottom