Are you still an athlete?

I was never particularly good at running when I was a kid but I enjoyed training and still do. I'm now in my late 60's and still run to stay fit but don't compete. My guess is that I would now be in the top 5% of those in my age group. I attribute my excellent cardio health and overall health to my running.

I was never particularly good at running when I was a kid but I enjoyed training and still do. I'm now in my late 60's and still run to stay fit but don't compete. My guess is that I would now be in the top 5% of those in my age group. I attribute my excellent cardio health and overall health to my running.

Used to run a lot, but now a little tough on the knees.
Good to hear though.:greetings10:

I do a lot of cage fighting.

Kidding!

Ran cross country all through HS.

Played varsity HS golf starting as a freshman. Which did not endear me to the older juniors and seniors. Played golf with customers for 15 years for a Fortune 500 company. Would leave for Doral on Thursday mornings and return home on Sunday evenings. Took my playability test twice in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Missed by 3 strokes the first time and by 4 strokes the second time.

Played tennis on and off all through my life. Quit golf in 2004. Starting back into tennis. Play competitive USTA. The past 2 years have given me my first set of injuries. Tendon issues from overuse. Ugh.

Am I still an athlete? Hah!

Same as the majority of the populace, I was never an athlete. :)

I try hard to keep my BMI below 24. Can I count that as an accomplishment?

I was never an athlete. But the good part about that was that I never associated fitness with sports. I saw too many athletes who gave up fitness because it was associated in their minds with a coach, a regimen, a game. I pretty much always exercised, and I am increasing the amount post-retirement. Still not an athlete though.

I have a question: wrestling. It draws a near fanatical devotion from its participants, who have sworn to me that the level of fitness it requires is through the roof, equivalent to or greater than, say, that required for triathlons.

And yet the dropoff rate is possibly the most steep of any "sport," post-school. I don't understand why - there's not much in the way of equipment required, and conceivably someone could throw down mats in a corner of the senior center and two older dudes could have at it. You don't forget the holds, right? Is it the weight requirement? But surely that would be pretty much the same for all guys in the same age group.

Surely something like racquetball is just as demanding. Wrestling is not in the senior Olympics. It just seems odd to me, given how many people participated in wrestling in school, and how much statewide support there was for it. Commercial performance wrestling, emphasis on performance, seems to be popular. Did all older wrestlers migrate to mixed martial arts?

I suspect that old wrestlers are not flexible enough to be pulled and pretzeled

resting. It draws a near fanatical devotion from its participants.

there's not much in the way of equipment required, and conceivably someone could throw down mats in a corner of the senior center and two older dudes could have at it.

resting is not in the senior Olympics. It just seems odd to me, given how many people participated in resting in school.

With very slight modification, I think many of us could get behind your idea. :cool:

I used to run a 5:32 mile. And would always place in the top 10% of 'fun' races.

My biggest accomplishment to date is this. If you would have told me 15 years ago I would have just as many Tour de France wins as Lance Armstrong, I would have never believed you.

I’m so athletic I can flip channels as fast as any man/woman alive. I have trained my right thumb to know every millimeter of my remote

Looks like winter has set in, first blizzard of the year has started. All former athletes now going back to couch potatoes?

Looks like winter has set in, first blizzard of the year has started. All former athletes now going back to couch potatoes?

Instead of riding my bike outside I went to spin class this week. It was cold in the room (outside temp about 25). Friday the locker room was packed. I suspect I'm not the only one that came inside

I'll get about 50 more miles in outside before I switch to the treadmill

Played Pickleball today. Yeah we are down to 87 degrees now.:D

Instead of mowing lawns at my house, my mom's and 2 rentals, I anticipate the snow shoveling of my driveway and 3 sidewalks. It sure beats w*rking in and at a coal mine for 12 hours/day, and gives me a smaller social contact/interaction group than my 17 foremen and 125 hourly employees. Plus the stress level has gone down 1000%. :dance:

I ran a 50K this morning. Of course, no blizzard here in the east.

50k?
Is that around a Marathon?
31 miles. Anything longer than a marathon (which is 26.2 miles) is called an ultramarathon. They are usually on trails, sometimes on mountain single track trails, rocky and with long and steep ascents and descents. This one, however, was on a nearly dead flat rail trail.

31 miles. Anything longer than a marathon (which is 26.2 miles) is called an ultramarathon.

Too cool!
I was in a marathon once when there was an accident and they detoured us a few blocks off the route for a bit. Found out after the race that we did 26.43 miles, so I'm an ultramarathoner!!!
:LOL:

Played Pickleball today. Yeah we are down to 87 degrees now.:D

I've played tennis and pickleball all summer in the brutal Bradenton, FL humidity. I had to purchase an electric shoe dryer because my shoes are soaking wet after a couple hours on the court and develop an interesting stink. I lose about 3 lbs of body weight and it takes all day to replenish the fluids. But I do love to compete and will keep on trucking til my body gives out.

Too cool!
I was in a marathon once when there was an accident and they detoured us a few blocks off the route for a bit. Found out after the race that we did 26.43 miles, so I'm an ultramarathoner!!!
:LOL:
Yep!
clinking-beer-mugs_1f37b.png

31 miles. Anything longer than a marathon (which is 26.2 miles) is called an ultramarathon. They are usually on trails, sometimes on mountain single track trails, rocky and with long and steep ascents and descents. This one, however, was on a nearly dead flat rail trail.

Was visiting Steamboat Springs CO a few weeks ago and watched (from the patio of a pub next to the finish line) runners finishing up on a 100 mile race. The winner was done long before we got there, I believe he did it in about 19 hours, most runners seemed to be finishing around the 24 hour mark. Must take a very unique individual to want to compete at those distances.

Last edited:
Was visiting Steamboat Springs CO a few weeks ago and watched (from the patio of a pub next to the finish line) runners finishing up on a 100 mile race. The winner was done long before we got there, I believe he did it in about 19 hours, most runners seemed to be finishing around the 24 hour mark. Must take a very unique individual to want to compete at those distances.
Run Rabbit Run. There actually were quite a few over 24 hours. The format for this race is that there are Hares, who are the more elite runners, and Tortoises, who get an earlier start and longer time to finish. So the hares get to sleep in, and then try to catch the tortoises.

I've run 2 100 milers, but both on much easier terrain and less elevation change. A lot of the challenge to me is to see what my limits are, and what happens, whether I can bounce back, if/when things go very bad. I feel pretty good about my resilience. There is also some peer pressure, as I have a lot of friends who have done them.

not any more !

but am researching some new options for the future

do you think they will let me lose when ( the equivilent of ) heavily intoxicated :confused:

( it might look dangerous but so is walking .. now )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom