Ascending Aortic dissection

Did your SIL have her surgery today?

Thanks for asking.

She had surgery yesterday and was in ICU after a successful operation. I just called ICU now (9am) and she had a very comfortable night and it’s expected that she will be moved to another ward later today.

We plan on driving up on Saturday and staying for a couple of weeks to look after her.

PS
This is Edinburgh, 5 hours ahead of New York.

Very happy news, thanks for the update!

Auld Reekie is such a delightful city. I wouldn't mind a couple of weeks there either.

Good news to hear. Thinking of you and your family and hoping things continue to progress well.

Safe travels!

Glad to hear it! Got a little concerned until receiving your update. California is 3 hours later than New York, and apparently 8 hours later than Edinburgh.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Last night we heard that she is doing very well and quite likely discharged on Sunday, meaning only 5 days in hospital. This is in line with our friend here who we brought home from hospital in 2016 after open heart surgery to replace a heart valve, and he was 75 at the time. SIL is 65 and normally extremely fit so we are hopeful that the recovery will be relatively straightforward, although very painful.

We did drive up on the Saturday (29th) as planned but that morning I woke up with a sore throat and tickly cough. Next morning no change and no other symptoms whatsoever but decided that the last thing SIL needed was to get a sore throat and cough so I drove the 200 miles back home where I still have a tickly cough, sore throat but no other symptoms.

SIL was kept in hospital an extra 2 days and released into my good wife's care on Tuesday morning. She has a bucketful of pills to take each day including Apixaban (Eliquis) because she now has Atrial Fibrillation. They told her that this sometimes happens as a result of major heart surgery and it may go away without treatment. She told me that she has no symptoms, or that they are masked by all the other pain she has at present so I told her that when I do make it up there that I will give her my Alivecor device to use each day to check if and when she is in AFib. I still do regular AFib checks on myself but use my Apple Watch for that now.

Back
Top Bottom