Ballpark Nursing Home Costs?

Closet_Gamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm helping my 84 year old mother review her investments. She has a solid pension that more than covers her living expenses (she save money each month!) and we're thinking through AA.

The big scary beast is, of course, a long stint in a nursing home or other type of very expensive care.

I've done a bit of research which suggests that a private room in a nursing home runs about $7500/mo. That feels low to me but I have zero actual experience.

Does anyone have recent nursing home experiences that can shed some light on costs?

Thanks in advance.

On the West Coast, it’s more like $10K/month.

Can you define nursing home levels when you put in amounts. Assisted living levels and skilled nursing care are two different things I think. And the independent living in a CCRC is showing around 3,500 a month in Virginia.
unverified quote from interne
"54 Assisted Living Facilities near Richmond, VA. There are 54 Assisted Living Facilities in the Richmond area, with 36 in Richmond and 18 nearby. The average cost of assisted living in Richmond is $3,537 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,300."

There is a wide range, but unless she has Alzheimer’s, I think your number is good for estimating your risk. We’ve been looking (in Michigan) and you can find nice places for assisted living for $3-4K/mo. But if you actually need any assistance, the prices shoot up quickly. DW’s mom has Alzheimer’s and we are going to try to keep her in our house as long as we can to conserve her money, but when she goes into a care situation, she’ll need real assistance and we think it will be at least $10K/mo.

I don't know current costs, but assisted living with memory care was about $6K a month six years ago here in flyover country.

DM was in a car accident last month and is currently in a Central NY nursing home rehab centre. It is $550 day private room, nursing care and rehab included.
Assisted living with two meals a day in a decent place here is $100 a day for a studio apartment.

DM was in a car accident last month and is currently in a Central NY nursing home rehab centre. It is $550 day private room, nursing care and rehab included.
Assisted living with two meals a day in a decent place here is $100 a day for a studio apartment.

200k yearly, but I assume a nursing home rehab would cost more daily than a longer term nursing home:confused:?

Mother in skilled nursing care in NYC from 2007 to 2018, cost was $11k per month when she went into the facility and ended at $15K;

MIL skilled nursing care cost in Virginia and North Carolina in 2017 would have been $7,800 per month;

MIL care home/assisted living cost in NC was $3600 per month in 2017;

BIL assisted living cost in NC for 2017-18 was $3600; scheduled to go up to $3800 in 2019; he's at the lowest level of care for assisted living, but with each increase in care level there would be an increase of $100.

I think Genworth and others have data on the cost of care for different parts of the country and different types of care.

OP here...thanks for all the input. Very helpful.

She's in northern Ohio, so probably towards the middle of cost ranges. She's relatively healthy with no signs of dementia or anything similar, so hard to know what type of more extended care she might need.

I will use a $10k/mo number to be conservative and go from there.

Thanks again.

We are paying just under $8K for nice facility near Seattle for full memory care, memory care only added about $1K.

My mod was previously near Medford, OR (southern Oregon) and facilities around there were 6-8K. When I last checked, three years ago in Hawaii prices were 10-12K for assisted living and more for memory care.

My friend was in a memory locked down unit due to Alzheimer’s and it cost 4K/month in a small Nevada town.

It really makes a difference where you live...

Around here I found assisted living in the $3000 to $4000 range with extra costs for more service... they had low, middle and high that could add another $1500 to the base...

My mom is in memory care and our bill with a few extras is in the $5600 to $5800 per month.... we have them order her incontinent stuff and whatever else she needs for personal hygiene... this is all inclusive, no extra charges and they will keep the person all the way till death... this was important to us... there are 16 residents and this year there have already been 4 who have passed.... 3 were expected but 1 was a surprise...

They do order her drugs, but that bill comes separate and is anywhere from $30 to $70 per month...

It really makes a difference where you live...

I think it matters more, what level and quality of care you get. I’m sure we can find an older, less quality care, high staff to patient ratio place for below average cost. I’m also sure I could find a place where they are newer, much higher quality, much lower patient to staff ratio for $15K or more per month. Probably even serve good food. Pretty sure none of these type places will accept Medicaid unless family makes up the difference.

FIL in South Carolina pays about $7000/month. Nice place. All meals, has his own apartment.

I think it matters more, what level and quality of care you get. I’m sure we can find an older, less quality care, high staff to patient ratio place for below average cost. I’m also sure I could find a place where they are newer, much higher quality, much lower patient to staff ratio for $15K or more per month. Probably even serve good food. Pretty sure none of these type places will accept Medicaid unless family makes up the difference.

My example is for a really good facility... and there were a number of others that were in the same price range... yes, there are some that can go for much more but I do not see any advantage over what we have....

Ours does not accept Medicaid... the only thing that I know they accept is Veterans benefits, but the family has to make up the difference..

Ballpark Nursing home costs

They have Nursing homes at the Ballpark? Who knew.

MCOL area here.

I'm caring for an older relative unexpectedly diagnosed with terminal cancer a couple of months ago.

After being discharged from the hospital, we tried a semi-private room in a nursing home...$7,500/month.

After a couple of weeks there I moved them to a private room at a local assisted living, which now costs ~$3,800/month for their room & level of care they require (bathing, dressing, administering medication)

Back
Top Bottom