BJ’s CEO dies at 49 years old

Well, yes it is.

Just like my wife dying of cancer at 54 (leaving behind 2 pre-teens), a college classmate succumbing to cancer at 42 and a fraternity brother by his own hand at 58.

No disrespect intended to the BJ's exec, or to you for bringing it up. The reality of my life has been to lose a few from 35-45 and a few more at 45-55. After that, it doesn't seem like such "a young age". perhaps your circle of friends/associates has been different.

I knew many that passed in their working years. All young (relatively) and seemed to be in good health until something struck them down. I'd consider most of them to be bright/talented/capable... Most had families they left behind too... Always sad to see...

It's unusual not to have a word or two on cause of death (at 49 the presumption is usually the heart). He was a young-looking 49.

I have known quite a few folks that were way too young pass away recently...especially from cancer. It's somewhat disconcerting but useful in making sure that I make every day count as best as I can since there is no guarantee for a tomorrow.

And? Is that it? Someone died early.

We know several who have gone the same way...cancer, heart,etc. It happens-especially during covid.

I have heard - and have done NO research - that the 50's (I'd say 49 qualifies) is a rough decade for men. Lots of sudden death to the widow-maker artery of the heart - plus cancers. The other part of the story is that, supposedly, if you can get past the mid 50s or so, you stand a good chance of making it to the 80s. As always, YMMV.

It is a shame about Mr. Delaney. That is way too young and he apparently had much left to contribute. RIP

While I don't know of anyone in my circle of friends or occupation that died younger than 60, I know of at least 10 men who passed suddenly, in the past 3 years over the age of 62 and younger than 70. Only 3 were retired.....

Lee Delaney reportedly died of a heart attack while he was in the middle of a run last Thursday.

Famous runner Jim Fixx who wrote books on health and running also died of a heart attack on a run at age 50.

Last edited:
Glad I gave up running after getting out of the Army. At 73 living proof that not running is conducive to longevity.
Seriously, glad my luck has held out this long and appreciate live every morning when I wake up, and know it.

Just probably had the wrong set of genes like James Fixx the runner.

Sadly since about the age of eight I have seen sudden death among too many of my friends, acquaintances, and co-workers. The toughest ones were when I was in contact with the person - either directly or via phone - within 24 hours of them suddenly passing. It reinforces my belief to take every day you have as a blessing, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom