RIP - Tom Seaver

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Another icon gone :(.

Hall of Fame pitcher Tom Seaver, a three-time Cy Young Award winner and 12-time all-star, has died at the age of 75, the National Baseball Hall of Fame, citing Seaver's family, and Major League Baseball said Wednesday.Seaver died Monday in his sleep of complications of Lewy body dementia and Covid-19, the National Baseball Hall of Fame said.
"We are heartbroken to share that our beloved husband and father has passed away," said his wife, Nancy Seaver, and daughters Sarah and Anne, according to the Hall of Fame website. "We send our love out to his fans, as we mourn his loss with you."
Seaver, known as "Tom Terrific," won 311 games and had a 2.86 earned-run average over a 20-year major league career that spanned from 1967-1986.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/us/tom-seaver-dies-spt-trnd/index.html

I was a 7th or 8th grader when I was home sick from school and watched the game on TV the day he struck out the last 10 SD Padres. It was a day game.

He was such a technician on the mound. I remember watching him pitch once on TV and one of the broadcasters noted how his right knee would become soiled as it touched the dirt during his delivery. The force behind the ball would come from his lower body as well as his arm. He was a great strategist, too.

Great pitcher and was the heart and soul of that 1969 Mets championship team.

As a Cubs fan, there's no way I could be a fan of anything Mets. Just say "69", which the Mets refer as "miracle."

However, that doesn't mean I couldn't admire his play. We always knew it would be a tough win at Wrigley when facing Seaver. As a huge fan of baseball in the early 70's, his name comes to mind of players I admired and paid attention to who were not Cubs. Some players get your attention, even if they were the "bad guys." He was one of them.

So sorry to hear he suffered from LBD. That's a terrible disease.

I remember him well.. Died far to young.... RIP Tom.

Terrific Tom and Bob Gibson were my 2 favorite pitchers growing up. Seeing them pitch a game would make a 1-0 game seem exciting. RIP Tom Seaver!!

Very saddened to hear this. Having grown up in NY, I was a diehard Yankees fan, but attended many games at Shea as well. Loved Tom Terrific, as he was the ace of the staff and a workhorse, as well as being a power/strikeout type pitcher. Along with some of his battery mates, Koosman, Gentry, Cardwell, McAndrew 1969 was magic. Ryan was still coming into his own back then. I used Tom's book on pitching to help my son when he started to pitch and for myself when I played adult hardball.

My heroes were Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver. RIP Tom Terrific.

Back
Top Bottom