Buying Glasses Online

I've used greateyeglasses & eyebuydirect for years and never a problem. PD is a look in the mirror with the ruler. Dock didn't want to give it to me either... I diy as much as I can for simple long distance script.

My optometrist in MD huffilly refused to provide my PD, as I didn't buy my glasses from her.

However, the PD that my FL optometrist provided at my request, turned out to be wrong! My Zenni glasses, which had fit fine with my at-home measurements, do not work quite right with the new ones from the optometrist (even though in all other ways, the Rx appears to be on the money). So beware, and do your own measurements.

I'm been tinkering with measuring on my own using a measuring app. Over the past couple days the results been varying by about 2 mm :(.

My optometrist in MD huffilly refused to provide my PD, as I didn't buy my glasses from her.

However, the PD that my FL optometrist provided at my request, turned out to be wrong! My Zenni glasses, which had fit fine with my at-home measurements, do not work quite right with the new ones from the optometrist (even though in all other ways, the Rx appears to be on the money). So beware, and do your own measurements.

I asked two different optometrists for PD - each measured but gave me a different number - they were 1 digit off from each other- 64 vs 63. I read in several places that 1 point variation doesn't make a huge difference, so I crossed my fingers, picked one and hoped for the best when ordering from Zenni. Seemed to work out - didn't notice anything amiss.

As a previous poster mentioned, I tried measuring myself, but couldn't get a consistent number I felt confident about. I trust their measurements more than my own lol

Well, I just placed my first order with Zenni. I've been wanting a new pair of glasses. Came out to be $88 for non-Transition progressives with a bit of a lens upgrade but not the works. 10% discount for being a veteran. I'm very curious to see how they work!

I've used greateyeglasses & eyebuydirect for years and never a problem. PD is a look in the mirror with the ruler. Dock didn't want to give it to me either... I diy as much as I can for simple long distance script.

+1 for eyebuydirect. I recently got premium progressives for everyday and distance prescription for tennis. They both work great. I bought the same two types from Zenni about a decade ago and the progressives didn't work out as well as I'd like. I typically spend about $700 per pair at the local optometrist...$350 after VSP, so there's a lot of room for savings!

I ordered from Zenni for the first time last year because my prescription had finally changed enough that my old, and very comfy, eyeglasses just didn't cut it anymore. Mainly for reading and computer work. In round numbers, new glasses from my optometrist were going to cost >$600, from Sam's about $400, and from Zenni <$150 so I finally decided to give online eyeglasses a go.

To get my pupillary distance I used a set of calipers that I had as well as the little ruler that Zenni offers. I measured multiple times over the course of several days, including having a friend give it a go, and then averaged the results. My vision with my Zenni glasses seems fine, so I wouldn't sweat the PD number too much. For the other numbers like width and temple length, I gathered up all of my old frames and took averages for each of those values.

Regarding fit and adjustments, the first frames I ordered were plastic without adjustable nose pads. They sat too low on my face and I couldn't think of how to adjust them, so back they went and I ordered a set with wireframes and nose pads. These did not fit well out of the box, but lucky for me, the vision center associated to my optometrist's office adjusted them for me with no questions asked. This appears to be a policy change because, in years past, they would ask for my name and look up my records before helping me. Now, you just go in and tell the technician what you need and they tweak them for you.

Final answer; I will give Zenni another try. The price difference is simply too great to do anything else. In fact, Zenni is so cheap that I'm thinking about ordering another pair that are a little smaller than what I have now and with the thinest (highest index) lenses they offer. What I have now is the next to highest index and I wish I'd spent the extra $30 or so to get the thinnest size.

How to Measure PD - Now We are Talking

How to Measure PD - Now We are Talking :LOL:

This is either crazy and silly or genius. Maybe a bit of each.

https://www.instructables.com/Measure-Your-Own-Pupillary-Distance/

I went ahead and had a 3D printer service (I need a 3D printer) print one up for me. Order placed today.

So, after I receive, if the gadget doesn't poke my eyes out (joking), I may get decent measured values.

I haven't had much confidence trying to self-measure with a ruler.

Last edited:
I'm on my 3rd pair from Zenni so far, Two of them are glow-in-the-dark frames. Great fun. They are all standard progressives and everything has worked out. My optometrist wouldn't supply the PD, so I measured it myself and everything seems fine. For my first pair of Zenni's I ordered their blue blocking lenses, which added a fair bit to the price. With subsequent pairs, I haven't ordered the blue-blocking lenses, and have noticed no difference. It saves some money.

I recently ordered a pair of reading glasses from Goggles4U.

Almost the Same price as the generic ones, but to my Rx, including astigmatism correction. Nice.

I recently ordered a pair of reading glasses from Goggles4U. ...
I have used Goggles4U successfully.

Actually, when I have a significant prescription change, I order both single-vision reading-distance glasses and computer-distance glasses. Three pairs of reading glasses; city home recliner chair, lake home recliner chair, and travel kit. Two pairs of computer glasses; home office, lake home office. I usually just buy whatever frames are currently for sale, typically two for $25, as I am not concerned about being stylish. Readers get frames primarily black, computer glasses primarily brown or gold. This makes them easy to tell apart.

Actually, when I have a significant prescription change, I order both single-vision reading-distance glasses and computer-distance glasses. Three pairs of reading glasses; city home recliner chair, lake home recliner chair, and travel kit. Two pairs of computer glasses; home office, lake home office. I usually just buy whatever frames are currently for sale, typically two for $25, as I am not concerned about being stylish. Readers get frames primarily black, computer glasses primarily brown or gold. This makes them easy to tell apart.

I do as you do--I have reading glasses in several locations. However, I don't buy dedicated reading glasses anymore as my ADD value does not change. Also, when I get new computer glasses they work as readers just fine with the benefit that I can also focus on things within 6 feet as well. So I rotate my previous computer glasses into usage as readers and take my old readers to the Lions Club donation box.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might be at the point where you don't need to buy dedicated reading glasses anymore.

I am wearing a <$100 pair of Zenni Optical progressives. Rimless and light.

My backup pair is also from Zenni and progressive bifocals.

No issues with either pair. Meanwhile my father in law spent $800 on a pair of progressives from a local shop and the bifocals are too high, so he has to get new lenses.

I have also used glassesusa.com in the past. A bit more than Zenni, but maybe slightly better quality.

If you need single vision, try ordering a cheap pair and see how they go. Progressives will increase the price but you can still get in that $100 to $150 range.

Meanwhile my father in law spent $800 on a pair of progressives from a local shop and the bifocals are too high, so he has to get new lenses.

This just makes my blood boil. How can a piece of bent metal for a frame that weighs perhaps 15 grams and two pieces of machine polished plastic for lenses, when assembled cost $800?!!

I have also used glassesusa.com in the past. A bit more than Zenni, but maybe slightly better quality.

I keep trying to go somewhere else besides Zenni but I need temple arms that are at least 145mm in length. Zenni has the biggest selection of all frames and in my case the most with long temple arms. So I keep coming back. I almost bought from Eyeglassesdirect but a set of progressives that I liked was over $225 and any progressives you get there cost a lot more than Zenni.

I do as you do--I have reading glasses in several locations. However, I don't buy dedicated reading glasses anymore as my ADD value does not change. Also, when I get new computer glasses they work as readers just fine with the benefit that I can also focus on things within 6 feet as well. So I rotate my previous computer glasses into usage as readers and take my old readers to the Lions Club donation box. ...
I'm not sure I understand that. The sphere diopter values (OD and OS, right and left) are the distance correction of the lenses. These values change from time to time. In my experience the astigmatism corrections (cylinder, axis) do change a little but for me they are very minor anyway. The ADD, which is pretty constant is added magnification (positive value) to the OD and OS values. It corrects the vision for looking at things close-up, like reading a book. So anytime the base OS and OD values change, in theory the reading prescription should also change. Otherwise it is the optimum reading distance that changes. So every time my basic prescription changes, I change my reading prescription as well.

For me the computer screens end up at a medium distance, not as close as reading. So for that I use half of the ADD value plus the OD and OS numbers to get my new prescription.

As an example, my OD and OS values are -3.5 and -5.5 (nearsighted) and my ADD is 2 diopters. So my reading glasses are -1.5 and -3.5. My computer glasses are -2.5 and -4.5.

I'm not sure I understand that. The sphere diopter values (OD and OS, right and left) are the distance correction of the lenses. These values change from time to time. In my experience the astigmatism corrections (cylinder, axis) do change a little but for me they are very minor anyway. The ADD, which is pretty constant is added magnification (positive value) to the OD and OS values. It corrects the vision for looking at things close-up, like reading a book. So anytime the base OS and OD values change, in theory the reading prescription should also change. Otherwise it is the optimum reading distance that changes. So every time my basic prescription changes, I change my reading prescription as well.

Your description of how the ADD values are added to the OD and OS values is correct. In my experience even if my prescription changes I can still use my old set of glasses as readers. I suppose I could be changing the distance of the material I'm reading to make up for the fact that even though my OD and/or OS values have changed the glasses are still useful as readers.

For me the computer screens end up at a medium distance, not as close as reading. So for that I use half of the ADD value plus the OD and OS numbers to get my new prescription.

As an example, my OD and OS values are -3.5 and -5.5 (nearsighted) and my ADD is 2 diopters. So my reading glasses are -1.5 and -3.5. My computer glasses are -2.5 and -4.5.

Yes, this is the same formula I used to use to get computer glasses. But now I just let Zenni do it. They have progressive lens options to take this into account. For example, what we call computer glasses they call "mid-range progressives". If you select that option they will make you computer glasses. If you select near-range progressives you will get reading glasses. I think they vary the sizes of the mid and close range progressive corridors as well. All I know is when I started letting Zenni do the calculations I got much better vision for computer usage.

Zenni Progressive Options.jpg

I'm not sure, but if you manually do the calculations and enter the values for computer glasses as a separate prescription you will get progressive corridor areas that look like this:

Zenni Progressives.jpg

Different strategy: I buy the cheap single-vision glasses so my head tilt position vs the book or the screen doesn't matter.

Last year price comparison for titanium frames with lens that are progressive and transition: Optometrist about $350, Sam's Club, $228, Zenni $124. Zenni is now my go-to source. The Optometrist balked very hard about providing me with my pupillary distance. I had to remind them that I paid for the service for about two decades and any associated records are my personal information for which I am entitled to receive.

Maybe I'm just fortunate with who I go to (at least in this regard), but I wonder if it makes a difference seen an optometrist (and OD) versus an ophthalmologist (and MD). I see the ophthalmologist because of several complex issues with one of my eyes, and since they are so busy just dealing with patients, they don't seem to care where the glasses are purchased. They also tend to be affiliated with a hospital system (at least in my area), so even if there is a place to purchase eyewear, it's benefiting the hospital system rather than the doctor's bottom line.

Optometrists tend to have those independent eyeglass shops attached to their clinic. With that often being part of their livelihood and their practice, they seem more likely to push a hard sale towards their shop and take it personally when you don't purchase from them.

Got m 3D printed contraption to measure my pupillary distances. A crude set up but I think my work. I've measured and measured today.

If I did so correctly, then my Left pupil to center of nose vs Right pupil to center of nose is off by 5mm :(.

Maybe that's why the lens on right off of my progressive lens was blurry (assuming wasn't measured properly at the glasses place).

Last edited:
I got my reading glasses at age 55, which irked me, as I've been a pilot since 1962. But then my eyes didn't change at all for 17 years, & my insurance paid for new glasses every 2 years. I finally chose computer progressive glasses, when my eyes changed, but can still use the 8 older pairs (butt pack, both bathrooms, kitchen, shop, etc.). All the frames are Ray-Ban type, as that's what I was used to from the Air Force. Will check out Zenni if my insurance stops covering new ones.

Good news is they usually guarantee satisfaction. So I've tried 3 different on line places. I've had to send one pair back 3 times before they got it right. But they sent a prepaid mailer and they got it right, finally. Here's what I learned: go to an eye doctor that can measure your pupillary distance with a computer .. ..not manually. If you have frames and you mark the lenses, tell them that that is level where your vision is based on how they sit on your nose and then tell them to use the pupillary distance recorded by the eye doc on the prescription. Otherwise, they measure the dots you put on the lenses and that can be off making the new glasses feel like your eyes or being strained or blurry cloudy vision.

If you like your old ray bans, some will replace those lenses so you don't have to buy new frames.

I ordered my glasses online at Eyebuydirect. Glasses haven't arrived yet so can't say how well things went.

So far so good. I've found their customer service excellent and website good.

All I'm looking for is a decent pair of glasses as a value price (over places like at a mall malls).

I just looked at my account and now I'm only about $25 away from a 3rd tier. I guess the business model with them selling glasses is kind of like frequent flyers. The more you spend the higher perks you can get. Perks do expire though. I never thought of glasses buying that way and don't plan on spending based on perks.

Back
Top Bottom