Calculating MAGI for Obamacare for married couple where...

LARS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
... one person is Medicare eligible. Does entire MAGI get assigned to single filing person? Not currently relevant but will be in the future. Curious how handled...

Yes. The total household income is counted for MAGI. Then the subsidy is calculated on just one person needing insurance on that joint income.

My health insurance broker told me there was an adjustment if one of us was
on Medicare but I haven't found the details for that as yet.

My health insurance broker told me there was an adjustment if one of us was
on Medicare but I haven't found the details for that as yet.

I've been in the situation for 3 years. I know nothing about an adjustment. If you find details please post.

Typing out "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" is time consuming. If you use PPACA, most don't get it. I figured "ACA" was mainly used by opponents of the law because of the first term in that acronym....:hide:

Got this from my insurance broker on getting a subsidy with one on Medicare...
Doesn't sound like its really reduced just only one can get the subsidy.
Sorry for the confusion.
The amount of subsidy the household is eligible for is reduced if one of the two of you have Medicare because Medicare beneficiaries are not eligible for subsidies on health premiums. The amount of income they use to qualify the household is not different....they still use the estimated income for the entire household.

I wish people would refer to the program for what it is: ACA......

When talking to people I usually refer to it as ACA - then when I get a blank look I say "the affordable care act... you know... Obamacare".

I figure if President Obama has started referring to it as Obamacare - then it's ok.

For those of us who don't qualify for employer provided, or retiree benefit, insurance... Whatever you call it - it's a good option to have.

Subsidy calculator: Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

When using the Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator, if some members of your household are eligible for Medicare and others are not, you should enter your full household size (including those who are eligible for Medicare) in Question #5. For the following question (#6), please enter only those family members who are signing up for Marketplace coverage (do not enter adults who are eligible for Medicare in Question #6).

Got this from my insurance broker on getting a subsidy with one on Medicare...
Doesn't sound like its really reduced just only one can get the subsidy.
Sorry for the confusion.
The amount of subsidy the household is eligible for is reduced if one of the two of you have Medicare because Medicare beneficiaries are not eligible for subsidies on health premiums. The amount of income they use to qualify the household is not different....they still use the estimated income for the entire household.

Thank you. Actually it makes sense, I've recently thought we might be better without Medicare but it was a passing thought.

My wife and I were paying $190.00 per month for the 2 of us, until she went on medicare. Now, I pay around $350.00 per month for just me. I still have a $5,000 deductible.

Back
Top Bottom