Changing Medicare Supplements, Part D, etc. - Boomer Benefits?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm still in my first Medicare year but my anniversary is in May. I assume there's no added 'loyalty benefit' to staying with any particular Medicare Supplement, Part D or Dental-Vision-Hearing* plans.

I used Boomer Benefits to sign up initially, and that was a good experience FWIW.

Do most of you just continue original policies more than one year? Shop your extra Medicare plans yourselves? Go through Boomer Benefits (annually) or another broker? Annual? Year End? Other?

* actually there is a loyalty benefit with my current Dental-Vision-Hearing plan, more treatment coverage and higher reimbursement %/lower out of pocket costs year 2 and even more in year 3.

Last edited:
I'm still in my first Medicare year but my anniversary is in May. I assume there's no added 'loyalty benefit' to staying with any particular Medicare Supplement, Part D...

Correct, at least based on my experience.

I shop Part D during the annual enrollment period each year and make a change if I think the cost/benefit is worth the small hassle of making the switch.

Since there is no annual enrollment period for Medicare Supplements, I keep and eye on rate increases and will look at making a change (assuming we can pass underwriting requirements) if our premiums get too far out of line.

Edit: I will go through BB to change Supplement carriers, but shop Part D on my own. The .gov website seems to work well to research and change drug plans.

Last edited:
Still in my first year also and I used Boomer Benefits during the initial sign up. My agent seems very interested in keeping me in the best rate to benefit policy. At this time that is a Medicare Advantage with UHC. I will listen to his advice before making any changes. I also would give Boomer Benefits a good report.

I'm still in my first Medicare year but my anniversary is in May. I assume there's no added 'loyalty benefit' to staying with any particular Medicare Supplement, Part D or Dental-Vision-Hearing* plans.

I used Boomer Benefits to sign up initially, and that was a good experience FWIW.

Do most of you just continue original policies more than one year? Shop your extra Medicare plans yourselves? Go through Boomer Benefits (annually) or another broker? Annual? Year End? Other?

* actually there is a loyalty benefit with my current Dental-Vision-Hearing plan, more treatment coverage and higher reimbursement %/lower out of pocket costs year 2 and even more in year 3.

Do you live in a state where you can change coverage on your Medicare anniversary ? In most cases there are no changes allowed except during open enrollment dates.

Correct, at least based on my experience.

I shop Part D during the annual enrollment period each year and make a change if I think the cost/benefit is worth the small hassle of making the switch.

Since there is no annual enrollment period for Medicare Supplements, I keep and eye on rate increases and will look at making a change (assuming we can pass underwriting requirements) if our premiums get too far out of line.

Edit: I will go through BB to change Supplement carriers, but shop Part D on my own. The .gov website seems to work well to research and change drug plans.

What do you mean when you say Medicare supplements? I thought they were covered by open enrollment periods.

Do you live in a state where you can change coverage on your Medicare anniversary ? In most cases there are no changes allowed except during open enrollment dates.
I’m new at this and may be mistaken, but I thought I could change Medicare supplement plans anytime? However, I realize there are no guarantees once outside OEP. I’d have to apply for another supplement plan, which may include underwriting and refusal, but if accepted and under the new plan I could then cancel the previous supplement plan - the 30-day free look period.

I am not planning on changing often if at all. I’d be happy to be loyal if my plan remains competitive. My plan G only went up $2 in Jan from $124.60 to $126.60/mo.

Last edited:
What do you mean when you say Medicare supplements? I thought they were covered by open enrollment periods.
You might be thinking of Medicare Advantage plans, not Medicare supplement insurance (Medigap plans). A few (7?) states have annual open enrollment periods for Medigap plans but most do not.

Last edited:
I’m new at this and may be mistaken, but I thought I could change Medicare supplement plans anytime? However, I realize there are no guarantees once outside OEP. I’d have to apply for another supplement plan, which may include underwriting and refusal...

Correct.

In WA, we can change Traditional Medicare Supplement at any time. There is no underwriting as long as you stay in the same category of coverage or lower (i.e Plan G to Plan G). Depending on the insurance company, you might have to pass underwriting, for example, if moving from a hi deductible to standard.

ETA: We will change companies if current company gets greedy. We changed last year when Cigna advised of rate change from $145/mon to $187/mon IIRC. Prior to that, we changed company when our Blue went over $225/mon when Cigna offer identical for $145.

Last edited:
DH has a Mutual of Omaha supplement and the price went up 20% this year. So he contacted Boomer Benefits and they suggest AARP UHC which would have been cheaper. Boomer Benefits helped him apply for the AARP UHC supplement but UHC they turned him down in underwriting due to his doctor's notes the he "may' have to have knee replacement sometime in the future. DH's knees have some arthritis but are fine now and he does not plan a knee replacement any time soon. Boomer Benefits was good to work with but they could not find a less expensive supplement for DH. In a state like North Carolina you can be stuck if you cannot pass underwriting.

harllee was this during the annual open enrollment at the end of each year?

Actually it was intended to be about Medigap supplements, part D and Dental plans that seniors might choose to augment original Medicare. And to be honest, I was most interested in others take on changing supplement plans since Part D is covered with annual enrollment every year, and dental may be less common?
I deleted that post right away when I realized that you had also discussed changing supplement plans in the OP.

harllee was this during the annual open enrollment at the end of each year?

There is no annual open enrollment for traditional Medicare supplements in North Carolina and in most other states. Once you have a Medicare Supplement in most states you have to pass underwriting to be able to change to another carrier.

There is no annual open enrollment for traditional Medicare supplements in North Carolina and in most other states. Once you have a Medicare Supplement in most states you have to pass underwriting to be able to change to another carrier.

Yes I realize now open enrollment is the wrong choice of words...you have to pass underwriting so it's not really open. My brain was thinking about the window for enrollment changes at the end of each year. Technically it is open enrollment for Part D plans but other plans would have underwriting issues.

I got stuck on the OP taking about their one year anniversary on Medicare....:facepalm:

Annual open enrollment at the end of each year for what? Not available for Medicare supplement plans in most states.

Yes it's only true "open" enrollment for Part D plans..otherwise not so open:cool:

Back
Top Bottom