chocolate

I really like Hershey's Kisses but they DO taste like wax. I'll admit that when it comes to chocolate cheap or expensive is just fine by me. I wish I were more discriminating.

I also really love Reese's peanut butter cups and peanut M & M's. Again, poor taste.

The paraffin doesn't surprise me. Look up the recipe for Buckeyes, which are a peanut butter center rolled in melted chocolate with a little paraffin. I assume the paraffin makes the chocolate a little more resistant to melting.

Many glossy candies are made with carnauba wax.

"It's a floor wax and a dessert topping"

I really like Hershey's Kisses but they DO taste like wax. I'll admit that when it comes to chocolate cheap or expensive is just fine by me. I wish I were more discriminating.

I also really love Reese's peanut butter cups and peanut M & M's. Again, poor taste.

My prior manager(a very nice human) used to send boxes of Hershey to his peer in the UK office. It was a lot of fun hearing just how bad Hershey is from the folks over there.

Of course I've eaten tons of it expecially the almond bars.

I used to think Hershey's was decent until Belgian chocolate spoiled me. Now Hershey's seems granular, as if its sugar has not dissolved completely.

I prefer Hershey's chocolates to many of the European chocolates that emphasize smoothness and creaminess over intense chocolate flavor. And I'm not at all into the hazelnuts that they seem to like to combine with chocolate. Just too bland. I like intense flavor.

And I like thick Chicago style pizza better than thin crispy Italian style pizza too. It's just a matter of taste, and a lot of that just stems from what you're used to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Every time I go to Trader Joe's, I pick a Ritter Sport Milk & Hazelnut at the checkout. Hey, it's right there and I can't resist.

Good thing I only buy one and the nearest Traders is 20 miles away - :)

I picked up the chocolate and hazelnut habit in Europe. Along with chocolate and coffee I love the combination. You know who sells great European chocolate bars? Inexpensive and big? Aldi.

I am not a carob fan. I do purchase carob chips, however, for home made dog biscuits. Recipe: 1/2 C peanut butter, 1/4 C warm water, 1/2 C mashed banana, 1 T honey, 1 egg, 1 3/4 C whole wheat flour, 1/2 C carob chips. Mix first five ingredients. Stir in 1 C of the flour. Stir in the chips. Stir in remaining flour, 1/4 C at a time. Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes, then roll into 1/4 inch slab and cut out cookie shapes. Bake 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Shut off oven, leaving cookies in the oven for a couple of hours.

Bud Light is to beer as Velveeta is to cheese.

I've been buying this generic store brand velveeta from Kroger. The white cheese with Jalapenos in it. Very delicious on tacos and as a cheese dip.

Also like the finer cheeses too (brie, gorgonzola, blue cheese, gouda, havarti, fontina, etc).

As for chocolate, I've found the Schogetten chocolates at Aldi to be the best bang for the buck. I think they are still a buck for what would be marketed as a king size candy bar 3.5 oz / 100g. Instead of waxy chocolate-ish candy from Hersheys or similar, it's actually real chocolate.

Marita, I recommend buying a Trader Joe's three-pack of both dark and milk chocolate bars (made in Belgium). Take a bite of dark and milk choc at the same time. Very nice. And cheap for good quality choco, something like $1.89 for a three-pack. They devilishly place them conveniently at the check-out counter display!
Chuck
The 3-packs are $1.79 here in Northern California. The dark one with almonds is my daily staple, along with a cuppa joe or tea.

My prior manager(a very nice human) used to send boxes of Hershey to his peer in the UK office. It was a lot of fun hearing just how bad Hershey is from the folks over there.
Hersheys has never tasted very good to me. It's been so long since I ate it that I cannot remember enough to describe the taste, just that it struck me as not tasting very much like actual chocolate.

Need to try TJ dark chocolate peanut butter cups. There the best! Especially cold.

I fell for that carob is as good as chocolate once about 30 years ago. Never again!

Need to try TJ dark chocolate peanut butter cups. There the best! Especially cold.

Agree but I can't buy them anymore as I eat all of them within a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We just had a "chocolate incident" here today. Normally chocolate has a very short lifespan around here, but last week I had bought some chocolate cookies (look like Oreos but are gluten-free) put them in the pantry, and for some reason forgot about them.

This morning DW informed me that I should eat some of them because "somehow" the package was open and they were evaporating. I snagged a few but wasn't really hungry so I put them back. A few hours later they were completely gone!

DW admits to nothing. Investigation to continue.

Oddly, the Safeway Just 4 You coupons that appear every week seem to focus on Haagen-Dazs and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. That's a good thing. I guess, because those cartons seem to disappear from the freezer, even when well hidden behind the bags of vegetables.

We have that problem here. 3 kids tend to make chocolate or sweets of any kind disappear quickly.

Oddly, the Safeway Just 4 You coupons that appear every week seem to focus on Haagen-Dazs and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. That's a good thing. I guess, because those cartons seem to disappear from the freezer, even when well hidden behind the bags of vegetables.

Thanks, no Safeway here but I need to look for coupons. That stuff is great but for some reason the serving size information appears wrong. Despite weighing our servings there's not 4 servings in them.☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom