Controlling the unholy trinity (salt, sugar, saturated fat)

motley

Dryer sheet aficionado
This is always a good thing to watch out for, but with recent high cholesterol and blood sugar counts, I had to make a serious change in my diet which I didn't think was bad to begin with. It's amazing what you learn when you play closer attention to the labels. Sugar for ex is about more than just not eating sweets. Sugar is in EVERYTHING these days...condiments I found were the real sneaky ones.

Fat wise, I've found some "meatless" options (made of various things like soy, wheat flour, egg whites etc) which are supre low fat and are surprisingly good tasting, in fact I've gotten into a real hamburger kick with those after vowing never to eat one again due to health concerns.

Salt is tougher...also in everything. I long since stopped using table salt and have cut back on the salty snacks, but it's still hard to control. Trying to drink more water to help too.

Anyone else made a concerted effort on any of these?

You might find the book Fast Carbs, Slow Carbs by David Kessler interesting. It talks a lot about this kind of thing. I set a limit for how much sugar I want to eat on a daily basis and I track what I eat so I know I am meeting that goal on average. I don't eat beef so saturated fat is not much of a concern for me. I do eat chicken and fish.

I'm a type II diabetic and chose to go on insulin with a pump so I could eat "normal" and remain very stable in blood sugars.

There are two tricks: Laying off the "whites" and stick with the "green" foods. The other is avoiding snacks and eating between meals. I don't avoid meats, fish and chicken dishes.

My doctor recently prescribed a Freestyle Libre 2 glucose monitor. I cannot tell you how easy it is to watch blood sugars without finger pricks. I am much more controlled (stable) watching my numbers many times a day. It's also so easy to figure out what certain foods do to blood sugar and what foods to avoid. For example, a bag of microwave popcorn or an ice cream cone will each kick me up 100 points. I reserve them for when my blood sugar's low.

You might find the book Fast Carbs, Slow Carbs by David Kessler interesting. It talks a lot about this kind of thing. I set a limit for how much sugar I want to eat on a daily basis and I track what I eat so I know I am meeting that goal on average. I don't eat beef so saturated fat is not much of a concern for me. I do eat chicken and fish.
Beef is a big one but saturated fat is in a lot more than beef, like dairy and eggs. I eat beef but not often and it's always lean steak and such. It is such a great source of protein, iron, and B vitamins.

I've logged my food into myfitnesspal for several years, the knowledge from looking at every food I eat is enlightening. Yeah i haven't eaten ketchup since I looked at what is in it.

We make almost all of our food from scratch. Along with other benefits, it allows us better control over the sugar, salt and saturated fats that we eat.

Last edited:
Why do you group fats with sugar and salt?

I thought people were finally moving away from the "fat is bad idea".. Fats certainly do not belong in the same group as sugar..

Ms G won't let me buy relish, so I make my own sugar free, also ferment our own sauerkraut, and make sugar free salsa. Everything I need for my Tofu pups.

Why do you group fats with sugar and salt?

I thought people were finally moving away from the "fat is bad idea".. Fats certainly do not belong in the same group as sugar..
None of it is necessarily bad, in moderation. I merely intended to point out that when you make your own food from ingredients that are as close to their natural state as possible, you know what you're getting better than you do when you use packaged food.

But perhaps you weren't asking me. Feel free to ignore me if you weren't.

None of it is necessarily bad, in moderation. I merely intended to point out that when you make your own food from ingredients that are as close to their natural state as possible, you know what you're getting better than you do when you use packaged food.

But perhaps you weren't asking me. Feel free to ignore me if you weren't.

I was asking the OP:LOL: he referred to fats as "unholy" I completely agree with your comment that the less we eat from jars and cans and boxes the better..

We make almost all of our food from scratch. Along with other benefits, it allows us better control over the sugar, salt and saturated fats that we eat.

+1

For whatever reason I find that when I make something from scratch it has less ill effect than buying the factory made equivalent at the store. I think it is because I simply put less bad stuff in it (sugar, salt, white flour) and more good stuff (nuts, whole grain flour, etc. )

I also watch the highly processed carbs.

When it comes to things like vegan cheese and meat substitutes made with soy, pea protein, etc., these are true factory made Frankenfoods, IMHO. I am very skeptical of them. The assumption is that meat in moderate amounts is somehow 'bad', therefore eating soy bacon and pea-protein beef must be 'good'. I don't buy it. Instead, I buy grass feed beef. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Nothing is "bad" for you if eaten in moderation.
The problem is, many don't know what that means. "Super size" has been a norm for far too long.
I read labels, and adjust portions.

It's funny. I have a 100 year old china platter that belonged to my great grandma. To give an example of how portions have gone nuts, this was the "Sunday dinner' Roast and veggie platter for the whole family of 12- 2 parents and 10 kids. It is the same size as a single "normal" dinner plate in my current set!

This is always a good thing to watch out for, but with recent high cholesterol and blood sugar counts, I had to make a serious change in my diet which I didn't think was bad to begin with. It's amazing what you learn when you play closer attention to the labels. Sugar for ex is about more than just not eating sweets. Sugar is in EVERYTHING these days...condiments I found were the real sneaky ones.

Fat wise, I've found some "meatless" options (made of various things like soy, wheat flour, egg whites etc) which are supre low fat and are surprisingly good tasting, in fact I've gotten into a real hamburger kick with those after vowing never to eat one again due to health concerns.

Salt is tougher...also in everything. I long since stopped using table salt and have cut back on the salty snacks, but it's still hard to control. Trying to drink more water to help too.

Anyone else made a concerted effort on any of these?

Have you actually researched any of these "meatless" options do a little reading you might be surprised what you discover...pay special attention to the soy products...

https://nutritionstudies.org/whole-food-plant-based-diet-guide/

https://www.forksoverknives.com/how...er-beginners-guide-starting-plant-based-diet/

When you eat plant based things, the body does good things with it.

When you eat animal based things, the body does bad things with it.

It has never been easier to eat plant based/mostly plant based. It will only get easier.

Good luck on your journey/research. "It's the food" accounts for 90% of issues America and other developed nations are facing. Sad but fixable.

https://nutritionstudies.org/whole-food-plant-based-diet-guide/

https://www.forksoverknives.com/how...er-beginners-guide-starting-plant-based-diet/

When you eat plant based things, the body does good things with it.

When you eat animal based things, the body does bad things with it.

It has never been easier to eat plant based/mostly plant based. It will only get easier.

Good luck on your journey/research. "It's the food" accounts for 90% of issues America and other developed nations are facing. Sad but fixable.

untrue.....

Simple observation of family, friends, peers is all it takes to know it is not untrue.

But, people have to find their own way.:popcorn:

Yes they certainly do...the world doesn't consist of your family friends and peers..

Your comment that it causes 90% of the Americas problems tells me your position is fixed in stone. On a practical note how would we all eat if no one ever ate animal protein of any kind?

I agree. Nothing is "bad" for you if eaten in moderation.
The problem is, many don't know what that means. "Super size" has been a norm for far too long.
I read labels, and adjust portions.

It's funny. I have a 100 year old china platter that belonged to my great grandma. To give an example of how portions have gone nuts, this was the "Sunday dinner' Roast and veggie platter for the whole family of 12- 2 parents and 10 kids. It is the same size as a single "normal" dinner plate in my current set!

Over the years, we have come to the realization that 4 oz. of meat (be it beef, pork, lamb, chicken or fish) is more than enough for each of us for dinner. That's about the size of a pack of cards. We usually have two vegetable sides that are each the same or smaller amount than the meat. We often have leftover meat, especially when we have chicken, because you can't get a boneless chicken breast smaller than 12 oz in the grocery store, and they're often a full pound. When that happens, we dice it up and have it in a salad for lunch the next day.

Last edited:
Yes they certainly do...the world doesn't consist of your family friends and peers..

Your comment that it causes 90% of the Americas problems tells me your position is fixed in stone. On a practical note how would we all eat if no one ever ate animal protein of any kind?

Your reply of "untrue" lets me know your position is fixed in meat.

That is OK.

People learn by investigating for themselves. If we all had the same beliefs it would be boring. The OP can completely ignore my posts. You can too.

We eat pretty much the way Gumby does. This makes eating out problematic because of the huge amount of food they present you with.

Actually here's a tip about salt and sugar, strictly control the number of meals you eat away from home..

Around 20 years ago, I eliminated all pre-packaged mixes, snacks, and the like from family diet. My family history demands it; everyone on my side takes cholesterol meds except me. Husband has excellent DNA, but even his BP was going up. Twenty years later, it's 110/60; his total cholesterol is 153, and blood sugar 91. And everyone is thin.

I didn't miss the chips. Missed pretzels a little, but not enough to make up for their wacky salt content.

I never liked condiments or salad dressings, and everyone else seems OK with small amounts of mustard or wasabi.

It's more work to make everything from scratch; I consider it an investment.

Ice cream, chocolate candy, and homemade desserts are still on the menu. Just not all the time. Air-popped popcorn is eaten once a week, with about 1/2 tsp salt per person. It's all good.

Sugar is in EVERYTHING these days...condiments I found were the real sneaky ones....

Salt is tougher...also in everything.

Last edited:
One more comment, if I may.

A while back, in honor of the forum motto "Live Below Your Means," and our discussions on thoughtful spending versus spending driven by habit, impulse, or peer pressure, I posted about "Eat Below Your Means":

I could eat that.
I want to eat that.
Everyone else is eating that.
But, eating that will interfere with my health goals.
So I won't eat that.

Your reply of "untrue" lets me know your position is fixed in meat.

That is OK.

People learn by investigating for themselves. If we all had the same beliefs it would be boring. The OP can completely ignore my posts. You can too.

Well technically you said animal based things which is way more then just meat. So no dairy, no eggs, no non red meat? As a country how do you think we can provide enough protein to fee everyone a plant based diet? This seems to put large urban areas at a disadvantage. You can blow off my questions if you want to.

On a practical note how would we all eat if no one ever ate animal protein of any kind?

We'd eat a lot better if the vast acreage devoted to raising crops for animal feed were used to raise crops for human consumption.

We'd have fewer instances of cancers brought on by pig and chicken viruses, and let's not forget the source of the current pandemic. It's wasn't a plant.

We'd eat a lot better if the vast acreage devoted to raising crops for animal feed were used to raise crops for human consumption.

We'd have fewer instances of cancers brought on by pig and chicken viruses, and let's not forget the source of the current pandemic. It's wasn't a plant.

Well a good point but raising crops for human consumption is extremely labor intensive. Unless you want everyone to eat kidney beans. Some areas of this county can't grow crops of any kind from fall till April. Do we have the logistics and the labor to continually provide everyone in the country with fresh food? There is plenty of land to grow fresh food but not much close to large population centers.

This is a complex issue.

Back
Top Bottom