Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mayor of Wuhan has stated that he had preliminary info on the outbreak but didn't release it, as they were waiting for clearance from "higher ups". Not sure how much of a delay this resulted in.

omni

I agree, why else would they lock-down major cities? They wouldn't do that for the typical flu.

Hypothesis 1: It is a lot worse than they are letting on.
Hypothesis 2: It is as they are disclosing, they want to take extra precautions to tamp it down as quickly as possible.

With a regime, they have the luxury of a) building a hospital in 6 days just because they deem it important (we would still be arguing about site work and environmental impact studies a year later) and b) quarantining millions of people because they deem it important (no press and others to fight back about rights being violated.)

Or, it could be that they realize it is out of control and desperate measures are required.

The reality? Who knows. Maybe even a bit of both.

It's good to be retired. Being a recluse is a great trait when it comes to these issues.

I will continue to sleep in, drink beer, and watch pointless TV. Amazon/Whole Foods can bring me food. :) I feel very bad for my Air Force buddies that grew up to be airline pilots. I wouldn't want to be stuck on these flying petri dishes for all the money in the world.

MOD NOTE -- We will continue to merge any new Coronavirus thread into this one (except for travel plan changes), so don't bother starting a new one.

Last edited:
After Germany, Japan has confirmed the 2nd case of transmission from a traveler to China to someone who never went there.

In the case of the German patient, he contracted from a temporary visiting coworker from China who came to Germany to give some presentation. The Chinese worker got sick upon returning to China. Prior to the Germany trip, she had visited her parents in Wuhan.

Another case was reported in Taiwan, where a man contracted the virus from his wife, who visited China.

Another news was about Japan repatriating 200 Japanese nationals. It said that those who were sick would be quarantined, while those without symptoms would be advised and closely watched.

They did not say how many of the above Japanese nationals were sick, but even if there were only a few, that would be 1 or 2%. Then, why is it that among 11 million Wuhan residents, there have been only a few thousand cases? It does not compute. One percent of 11M is 110K people. This gives credence to the video reported earlier by an unknown Wuhan nurse who said 90,000 people were sick inside Wuhan.

In all, it appears to indicate that the virus can spread during the incubation period. And it may be highly contagious, but perhaps it is not as lethal as feared.

Last edited:
I need to vent!

[VENT]
One of my favorite political youtubers is freaking out about coronavirus, and thinks that possibly we may have thousands dying in the street from it here soon. For Pete's sake. He predicted the same about ebola. :rolleyes: I think he's a germophobe and doesn't know it.

YES, I think that China is lying about how bad it is in Wuhan. I think that most authoritarian governments do lie now and then when they think it is to their benefit.

NO, I do not think it is going to be a disastrous pandemic here in Louisiana.

Here's what I plan to do:

1) I'm not going to travel to Wuhan until this is no longer newsworthy. Of course, I don't intend to travel anywhere, because I don't, but if I did then I'd skip Wuhan. I'd probably delay going to China too, unless there was a good reason why I wanted to go right this second (like a wedding in my family taking place over there, or something like that).

2) I'm not going to go hang out around international terminals at the airport, either. Duh? I have no reason to do so.

3) I'm not going to bother with hand sanitizer or masks unless I hear of more than one person in my suburb definitely contracting the new coronavirus.

So far I have not seen anybody wearing a mask here. Which makes sense, since not even one person here has definitely contracted the new coronavirus.

My thoughts are that this coronavirus panic is being hyped by the media for their own benefit, and heads should roll (although they won't, never do).​
[/VENT]

I wanna know how much of a kickback Cervecería Modelo is getting for this name recognition publicity.

At this point, I am more concerned about getting the regular flu than the coronavirus.

I need to vent!

One of my favorite political youtubers is freaking out about coronavirus, and thinks that possibly we may have thousands dying in the street from it here soon. For Pete's sake. He predicted the same about ebola. :rolleyes: I think he's a germophobe and doesn't know it.

Perhaps he should no longer be your favorite youtuber. :)

Perhaps he should no longer be your favorite youtuber. :)

But, but.... he is so entertaining! :ROFLMAO: He's an entertaining politically extremist germophobe. Now that sounds kind of weird, I agree. Maybe I should write him a message telling him to pull himself together before his subscribers start to bail.

Perhaps his mother made him wash his hands too many times when he was a kid and wouldn't let him play in the dirt.

FWIW, DW and I just returned from lunch at a Mexican restaurant in South Central Texas. Saw a customer, a young woman who gave no appearance of being ill, wearing a surgical mask. Made it tough for her to eat her taco. :)

Last edited:
FWIW, DW and I just returned from lunch at a Mexican restaurant in South Central Texas. Saw a customer, a young woman who gave no appearance of being ill, wearing a surgical mask.

Smart move. It's Texas. Who knows what you're likely to catch there?

Smart move. It's Texas. Who knows what you're likely to catch there?

Cedar fever? I don't know if a mask would help with that or not. Besides, she might have looked sick if that was causing her to wear a mask.

But, but.... he is so entertaining! :ROFLMAO: He's an entertaining politically extremist germophobe. Now that sounds kind of weird, I agree. Maybe I should write him a message about his phobia.

Perhaps his mother made him wash his hands too many times when he was a kid and wouldn't let him play in the dirt.

He may have coprophobia too, and in addition is afraid of homes using septic tanks instead of hooking up to city sewer. :hide:

Cedar fever? I don't know if a mask would help with that or not.

The season/pollen count is winding down and a line of showers came through last night and washed the atmosphere clear of that nasty stuff, at least until things dry out. Unlikely that was the reason. And I've never seen anyone wear a surgical mask in these parts outside of a hospital.

I made the mistake of looking on YouTube I will not do that again!
Sweet Moses. It’s bad enough I read a fiction novel titled “pandemic”

OMG....

Johnson & Johnson, Moderna and Schering Plough are working on it. They say it could take a year or less. It's on the FDA emergency expedited process.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/jj-pretty-confident-it-can-create-china-coronavirus-vaccine.html

https://medtech.pharmaintelligence....Test-Kits-While-WHO-Mulls-Virus-Spread-Gets-O

Further information on the process for and potential timing of a vaccine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/28/us-...ine-hopes-to-start-trial-in-three-months.html

The season/pollen count is winding down and a line of showers came through last night and washed the atmosphere clear of that nasty stuff, at least until things dry out. Unlikely that was the reason. And I've never seen anyone wear a surgical mask in these parts outside of a hospital.

Oh, OK. So glad that the cedar fever problem is backing off, for now. :dance:

I think I should suggest a move to central Texas, to my germophobic youtuber. He'd delight in all the misery recurring year after year, due to cedar fever.

This corona virus is clearly very contagious and may soon become worldwide. I hope not but there's a good chance that nearly all of us risk exposure. Anecdotes seem to support contagion prior to significant symptoms. Perhaps a vaccine can be developed and manufactured quickly but I have doubts.

I'm encouraged that the number of reported (!) deaths is not rising as dramatically as would be suggested by the 15% of the initial cohort of 41. I suspect and hope that the actual number of infected individuals was already much larger than known at the time. An accurate death rate is what I'm looking for and I hope it is low.

I keep thinking about decimated populations of Dutch elms, bananas, olives,... But, I tend to be pessimistic.

It's good to be retired. Being a recluse is a great trait when it comes to these issues.

My thoughts exactly. The only places we go with other people around are the gym, where most of the time anyone who is sick has sense enough to stay home, and the grocery store once a week or so. I suppose we could have groceries delivered but I kind of doubt that would be very effective since they'd be coming from the same store anyway.

The closest international airports are Dulles and BWI and we don't hang around either one.

Aside from the usual minor aches and pains that come from being north of 60 years old we're in good health so I can't see getting too worked up about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom