cyst in wrist

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a cyst on the underside of my right wrist.

Just noticed the appearance about 2 weeks ago. Right now only the about the size of a pea.

Doing a WebMD or similar check, the cyst is probably a ganglion cyst and may go away by itself.

Wondering, does the cyst sound familiar to you? If you had one, what did you do? Did it just go away or did you have to seek treatment?

Years ago, I had a meaner cyst on the top area of my left wrist. That was about the size of a large grape. Eventually, got that aspirated at the doctors off and a game of volleyball, taking a slam on the hand :( might have cured that cyst.

Bible treatment.

I had a ganglion cyst on the top of the wrist. It went away after a while. I currently have one on a knuckle that has come and gone a few times. The doctor told me they could aspirate it, but they often come back even after you do that. Neither one affected my movement, so I did nothing.

I had one on my wrist at about age 22. It was aspirated and never came back. I was told ? that it came from playing tennis.

I have a couple of theories as to what causes the cysts I've had/have. Though literature says not really sure what causes them.

The one on my top left wrist, I was over at a brothers house playing tag or something and one of the kids there ran into my hand and bent it backwards. Remember noticing the cyst about a week after that.

The one I have not, I think may be caused for over stressing on a manual juicer using the metal push down handle. I this this, as the cyst is most noticeable when using that juicer and I'm pushed down hard many times.

Both just theories.

I had one on the inside of my wrist when I was about 25 years old. Much larger than a pea. At the same time (maybe because of the cyst) I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in that wrist and ended up needing surgery. When they did the surgery for the carpal tunnel they removed the cyst. No future problems, and it's been about 38 years.

I have something on my left hand but how do you know it's a cyst? I know my doctor checked but didn't say anything.

Had one as a teen. Got it checked out by a doctor who suggested smashing it with an encyclopedia. (I guess that somewhat dates the timeframe.) I procrastinated about six months because I didn't want to smash any wrist bones. The cyst (diagnosed as ganglion cyst) went away on it's own and has never come back. No smashing.

I have something on my left hand but how do you know it's a cyst? I know my doctor checked but didn't say anything.

Guess don't know for sure unless looked at by a trained eye.

But from my googling and looking at pictures online, the one I have sure does look like the ones on the same spot called ganglion cysts.

I'm gonna wait and see if it grows much bigger or becomes bothersome. If so, I'll have to tell the doc to aspirate the b@astard.

I had one that was up my arm a bit from the wrist... had it for many years... it would bother me off and on, sometimes hurting a lot... sometimes just a bit...

Had a year when I max out the OOP on insurance and had it cut out... one of the better things I had done medically as I have zero pain...

I just looked and can barely see a scar...

Just noticed the appearance about 2 weeks ago. Right now only the about the size of a pea.
Good that you noticed it. Now, go see a doctor. He'll know just what it is, and just what to do about it.

Guess don't know for sure unless looked at by a trained eye.

But from my googling and looking at pictures online, the one I have sure does look like the ones on the same spot called ganglion cysts.

I'm gonna wait and see if it grows much bigger or becomes bothersome. If so, I'll have to tell the doc to aspirate the b@astard.
I googled it and maybe I don't have cyst. Just thick muscle around my wrist, possibly an injury from yoga.

I've had a ganglion for about five years now. The doctor aspirated it once and it came back immediately. He refused to aspirate again, saying the only good next step was surgery. I've refused so far because it doesn't bother me. My sister for some reason is completely freaked out by it, but my wife just ignores it and so do I. Most days. But I agree with those who say have a doctor look. Then make your own decision whether to do anything or not

I've had a ganglion for about five years now. The doctor aspirated it once and it came back immediately. He refused to aspirate again, saying the only good next step was surgery. I've refused so far because it doesn't bother me. My sister for some reason is completely freaked out by it, but my wife just ignores it and so do I. Most days. But I agree with those who say have a doctor look. Then make your own decision whether to do anything or not

maybe mine was a ganglion... not sure...

Doing a WebMD or similar check, the cyst is probably a ganglion cyst and may go away by itself.

Wondering, does the cyst sound familiar to you? If you had one, what did you do? Did it just go away or did you have to seek treatment?

Seek some professional opinions about this. I have had several of these on my left wrist and fingers over the years (professional guitar player) and they tend to appear where there is over use or a little arthritis. The first one I had was on a finger and actually ruptured leaving the joint exposed to open air - I narrowly avoided a serious, career ending infection. In each case, removing the entire cyst (sack and fluid) was the solution and there was no recurrence in that location. The most recent one I had was attached to a tendon and as it grew caused swelling and pain in my entire hand, pressing in an adjacent nerve.

These mini surgeries are simple and heal quickly. The Bible solution (rupturing the cyst) can leave scar tissue that can be a problem. Often the underlying cause is a little bony calcification causing inflammation. Your body makes the cyst and ganglion fluid in response to the inflammation. Having that corrected is sometimes needed as well - again; fairly simple.

Your doctor can advise you about how to proceed - sometimes these resolve themselves but they can also get worse and become a problem.

Last edited:
Reading the circles from top to bottom, left to right, the spot where I have is the second one.

Attachments

• ganglion-cyst-surgery-what-is-it-1.jpg
    ganglion-cyst-surgery-what-is-it-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 112
Here's a description of the various types:

I may need to check my hearing as sounded like he described one as a "redneck cyst" :LOL:.

Seek some professional opinions about this. I have had several of these on my left wrist and fingers over the years (professional guitar player) and they tend to appear where there is over use or a little arthritis. The first one I had was on a finger and actually ruptured leaving the joint exposed to open air - I narrowly avoided a serious, career ending infection. In each case, removing the entire cyst (sack and fluid) was the solution and there was no recurrence in that location. The most recent one I had was attached to a tendon and as it grew caused swelling and pain in my entire hand, pressing in an adjacent nerve.

These mini surgeries are simple and heal quickly. The Bible solution (rupturing the cyst) can leave scar tissue that can be a problem. Often the underlying cause is a little bony calcification causing inflammation. Your body makes the cyst and ganglion fluid in response to the inflammation. Having that corrected is sometimes needed as well - again; fairly simple.

Your doctor can advise you about how to proceed - sometimes these resolve themselves but they can also get worse and become a problem.

Thanks for sharing and suggestion. On the video from my previous post, you had the type on the finger that needed quicker attention.

I'm gonna wait and see in hopes it goes away first. But it gets bothersome and bigger, then doc time. If it gets worse or doesn't go way in 5 months (when I get my regular physical), I'll be sure to tell my doc (oh, by the way....).

DW had one of those - she put up with it for a while but it grew and started to really bother her. Had it surgically removed. Short procedure, local anesthesia, took about 3 weeks to fully heal. Seems totally fine now.

DW had carpel tunnel relief surgery and they found a cyst in her wrist at the time - removed it. No serious problems 40 years later (other than continuing, unrelated arthritis.) Doc said it was good that they found this one. Don't recall why. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom