Dental Challenges

I heard this about picking an orthopedic surgeon...go to one that's done the most of the operation you are considering... they're so busy, they don't need your business, and so tell you the truth. Not sure if it's relevant here, though. I'm not sure I'd want a novice, wielding a drill in my jaw bone, even if supervised. I'm sure they would be concentrating hard on doing their best, but it's kind of a skill that needs practice to get good at. The last place I'd go is a doc who just hung out the shingle, needs work, has big loans, and has only a few operations under his/her belt.

FWIW, My pal that went to the R.I. location is 81, cost/quality conscious & he engaged their services a week or so back.

I plan on going next week. I'll update my findings.

Good luck & Best wishes....

My findings have been theres even differences in dental school therapies.
6 Private dental practices estimates ranged from 3200 to 7100.
Tufts Dental school in BOS received my business.
A ballpark estimate they drew up on paper ranged from 2k-2500 tops.
TUFTS whole operation far surpassed BUDental schools options.

The student makes all the difference.
IIRC about a decade or 2 back I dropped their treatment plan and skipped treatment from a dental student 'valley girl' type from CA I was paired with. :) Vally girl defined as : A slight rise in pitch at the end of a sentence may be the most defining characteristic of a Valley girl. But referring to the like stereotypical ditzy, like young, like well-to-do, like white women from like the San Fernando Valley in like southern California.;)

Good luck & Best wishes.....

Last edited:
I want to learn to read dental x-rays. And I want "whys" addressed in the instructions, as in "when the cavity within the tooth leaves a wall of tooth under x mm thick, it must be filled or else..." It wouldn't be enough to me that there's a cavity.

Last edited:
I'd love to start a dental practice where the dentists, watched over by me, do free second opinions of x-rays, and maybe make it a non-profit. I want dishonest dentists to fear patients who want their x-rays sent to my office.

Make it a reality show!

Last edited:
If you have access to a university dental school

some dental schools have a "faculty practice", where the professors see regular patients. maybe to keep in practice and make extra money.

dental schools can be in network for some dental insurance. if you are expecting to spend a lot of money, ask about their network and costs. then do some math on possible savings.

If you don't care for funny accents, you'd have a hard time where I used to go for dental work. Most of the dentists were immigrants, who understood English much better than they spoke it. Good with teeth, though.

IIRC about a decade or 2 back I dropped their treatment plan and skipped treatment from a dental student 'valley girl' type from CA I was paired with. :) Vally girl defined as : A slight rise in pitch at the end of a sentence may be the most defining characteristic of a Valley girl. .

I want to learn to read dental x-rays. And I want "whys" addressed in the instructions, as in "when the cavity within the tooth leaves a wall of tooth under x mm thick, it must be filled or else..." It wouldn't be enough to me that there's a cavity.

Reading dental radiographs is something that dentists get better at over the years. Maybe that's why they call a dental business a "practice". One reason they get better at it is that over the years one learns to relate what one sees on a radiograph as "shades of gray", to what one sees clinically, in living color. Typically, the dark area of decay that is visible on the radiograph is smaller than the actual decay evident when one gets into the tooth clinically. This is because a radiograph presents a two-dimensional image of a three-dimensional reality. Although the decay may have progressed farther towards the blood supply of the tooth than the image shows, the closer to the center of the tooth the decay goes, the more bulk of healthy, non decayed tooth structure there is to obscure it on the film.

As to why there may likely be a wall of solid tooth on the edge, with decay underneath the wall, I'm guessing that what you are referring to is the fact that the outer wall of the tooth, (unless we are talking about decay of the root where there is no enamel wall) is covered in enamel, which is many times more mineralized than the inner core of tooth. Due to the mineralization, the enamel is much more resistant to decay. The decay can make a very small hole on the outside of the tooth, but then, once through that wall, the bacterial process of decay can destroy the inner core (dentin) at a much more rapid rate than it destroyed the outer wall of enamel.

You remember from another thread the pictures posted of the very small holes present on the surface of the tooth, and the x-rays of much more extensive damage under the surface. The actual damage from the decay is even more progressed than what the x-ray shows.

There is a school of thought, with considerable evidence to support it, that you can leave the decay in, and seal the tooth up with restorative material and the decay will stop progressing without access to the bacteria from the mouth. In practicality this can be a problem for two reasons. If the seal breaks down, it may go undetected, and then the decay has a head start towards ruining the tooth, and if the decay is extensive enough, it is a mushy base upon which to build the restoration, and upon the load of chewing, the tooth, and/or the restoration (filling) can all cave in on itself, and you can have a big mess.

The best practice unless the decay is really minimal, is to have it removed, get down to solid, clean tooth structure, and restore with appropriate material.

If you don't care for funny accents, you'd have a hard time where I used to go for dental work. Most of the dentists were immigrants, who understood English much better than they spoke it. Good with teeth, though.

It was not an accent Amethyst, it was a fad thats faded imo.
Similar to 70s bell bottoms, and 80s valley girls as young females mentors.
As grayv posted above I was happy to see a few teachers still there 15/20yrs later still roaming the floors in an aparent alpha position in both private/collegiate practice & no doubt also teaching.

As mentioned many students are immigrants in BOS, a sanctuary city.
It certainly seems a medical speciality that will not be automated.

The first DMD/DDS I engaged in private practice seemed to be able to fill teeth & take xrays only, w/an outdated x-ray machine, referring out all other treatments, including root canals sent elsewhere seems odd to me.

Good Luck & Best wishes....

Last edited:
Op here. I just wanted to update this thread with my choice of a path forward with my dental challenges.

As we all do, I was looking through "You Tube" vids for people having full mouth reconstruction, and came across this young lady who is in her early 20's, and because of congenital lack of tooth development, she had worn removable dentures since she was 8 years old.

She was excited because she had found an oral surgeon whose technique of placing implants for full denture attachment does not require any bone grafting, and since she had minimal jaw bone, she thought this could be an answer. The challenge was she lives in Kentucky, and this oral surgeon is in Florida....less than an hour from me.

She documents her experience, and is thrilled with the outcome. So...off I go for a consult, and I had my full mouth reconstruction done yesterday under general anesthesia. I'm doing very well so far....some discomfort but ice packs, and pain meds are managing it well. I have 6 implants on the top, and five in the lower jaw. He uses no bone grafts because he plants some of the implants at a 45 degree angle into the bone, so it uses more of the natural bone securely. For some patients he also puts in zygomatic implants into the cheek bone, also angled. The young lady had this done, but I did not need them.

I will wear temporary teeth for 6-7 months, and then once all healed and gums have completely shrunk down, I'll get zirconia permanent dentures.

Total cost of surgery with general anesthesia, the two sets of teeth, all post-op visits and permanent teeth fittings, and 2 years of every six months routine visits was $41,613.00. which included a 3% discount for paying cash.

I just thrilled to be out of this cycle of just patching teeth that were failing. I believe this will have been a good choice for me.

Congratulations and best wishes!
From what I've read elsewhere, that sounds like a fair price for what you're getting. Fingers crossed that it all works out as you hope.

Congrats! That's chump change for the effect it will have on your life. It's literally life changing for under $50K. About what a car that will depreciate would cost. Now you get to enjoy life again!

Whoohooo!!! I told DH (who also had this done about 5 years ago) and he said, "that's the last time she'll ever feel bad about her teeth". It truly is life changing.

Wishing you a great recovery - now it just takes time (and some blended meals & soft food for a bit...). This is when we discovered the NutriBullet...

Please post a pic of your smile when you get your final set!

Last edited:
Sounds like you found a good solution for you.
Best wishes for quick healing and a great smile!

I had a tooth break off at the gum. Oral Surgeons charged $850 to remove it. Then they wanted $2250 to put in an implant and $850 for an abutment 4-5 months later. The regular dentist would do an $850 cap after that. Total cost for 1 simple implant: $4800. In our market, this surgeon group has a monopoly on implants.

I was referred to a dentist in a different city for the implant. He numbed me up. Then he drilled straight up and inserted the implant--6 1/2 minute job. Total cost $900 plus $100 for the 3D xray. Honestly, the implant was easier and quicker than having a cavity filled. My dentist has a CNC machine that carves crowns in 6 minutes, and she charges $750 per tooth.

I understand that those getting numerous implants in order to anchor plates is a different issue. But I assure you $1750 for one simple implant sure beats what those oral surgeons charge. I'm not above paying for someone's time. But don't rip off the public either.

Many go to Mexican dental clinics to get the really big jobs done. The trouble is that they have some great Mexican dentists and some shyster dentists. You don't know how to find the good guys down there. For medical tourism, I think I'd rather go to Budapest where the profession is maybe better trained and more reliable. Europe has a big business for medical tourism in normal times.

But I assure you $1750 for one simple implant sure beats what those oral surgeons charge. I'm not above paying for someone's time. But don't rip off the public either.

Yes, lots of variability. That's about our total cost for DW's implant a few years ago, including the oral surgeon doing the implant and our regular dentist doing the crown on top. We didn't think it was excessive, and it was nice to deal with locals.

Back
Top Bottom