Implantable Loop Heart Monitor

Silver

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am having some issues with occasional atrial fibrillation, and the cardiologist wants to use an implantable loop monitor for about six months to watch it. I'm on an anti-coagulant med to hopefully prevent clots.

This all started in June of this year when my gall bladder ruptured, and I became septic. I was admitted to the ICU after having a cholecystectomy, and was very ill for several days. My third day in the ICU I went into atrial fibrillation, and was converted back to normal sinus rhythm with Digoxin. I have never had any cardiac issues prior to this.

I am fully recovered from the sepsis and I just completed an "event monitor" process when I wore a cardiac monitor for two weeks. There was one episode of several atrial fib heart beats, but no sustained dysrhythmia. So now the cardiologist wants to do an implantable monitor for six months.

Any feedback about your experience with this monitoring would be welcomed.

I am having some issues with occasional atrial fibrillation, and the cardiologist wants to use an implantable loop monitor for about six months to watch it. I'm on an anti-coagulant med to hopefully prevent clots.

I am fully recovered from the sepsis and I just completed an "event monitor" process when I wore a cardiac monitor for two weeks. There was one episode of several atrial fib heart beats, but no sustained dysrhythmia. So now the cardiologist wants to do an implantable monitor for six months.

I had Afib for 7 years. I was on a blood thinner (Xarelto) and a beta blocker to regulate heart beat (Sotalol.) Eventually, I had a cardiac ablation procedure performed and have not had another afib event.

I have not had an implantable loop monitor, but I have worn the Zio cardiac monitor for 2 weeks on two occasions.

I thought implantable loop monitors were indicated if you are having fainting spells. Are you having episodes of fainting?

I wish I could help you with your question about experience with an implantable loop monitor, but I can't. Nevertheless, I thought I would offer my experience.

Thank you for the reply.

No, I have had no fainting episodes. As explained to me, and from my close friend "DuckDuckGo", these implantable monitors are used to diagnose heart rhythm disorders of all kinds. Fainting is sometimes the primary symptom of a dysrhythmia, but not in my case.

My cardiologist has already stated that he may recommend an ablation down the road, depending on the findings of the implanted monitor over a six month time. It's good to hear it was successful for you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

No, I have had no fainting episodes. As explained to me, and from my close friend "DuckDuckGo", these implantable monitors are used to diagnose heart rhythm disorders of all kinds. Fainting is sometimes the primary symptom of a dysrhythmia, but not in my case.

My cardiologist has already stated that he may recommend an ablation down the road, depending on the findings of the implanted monitor over a six month time. It's good to hear it was successful for you.

I have not used that type of monitor. I DID have an ablation done in my 30s that did not work for me, and currently in my 50s have a pacemaker, along with a prescription for attenolol and Xarelto.. The pacer also monitors for arrhythmias, and is checked remotely by the doc. Monthly in my case.

If I can answer questions, let me know.

I was having fainting episodes (3 times). Dr had me wear an external heart monitor for about a month. I did eventually have an episode while wearing it.

Diagnosis ended up being vasal-vagal syncope. Basically my vasal-vagal nerve from the brain just decides to stop sending the 'heart beat' signal for 5-10 seconds and I pass out.

I had always thought the heart beat on its own, but apparently not.

While looking into my problem, I did alot of other tests. Some from the cardiologist and some from the neurologist, since fainting can be caused by the brain or the heart.

Just FYI.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess these implanted loop monitors are not as common as I may have thought. Not sure how I feel about that....

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Not thrilled about having this done, but at least if I do not have any A-Fib during the time monitored, I can stop taking the anti-coag meds. The only potential bright light I see at the moment.

Getting old sucks.

Had a Medtronic loop monitor implanted about 4 years ago for afib. The operation takes 10 minutes or so and doesn't hurt due to local anesthesia. You also get a telephonic device that gets plugged in by your bed to download data to your doctor. The doctor (EP) also can read the recorder at the office.

The recorder has no impact on my daily life and I pretty much forget it's there.

The battery on the recorder lasts 3 years or so and is inert at this point. I elected to just leave it where it is.

If you have any questions not answered here, just ask!

Frank

I'm sort of surprised by the implantable monitor. Total non-medical and uninformed person here, but did survive V-fib (thanks to fast acting competent honey) and have A-fib and have an implanted monitor/pacer/shock administering device and have had shock treatments (cardioversion) to knock me out of A-fib as well as ablation. And drugs. While the wires hooked to my heart are unnoticeable , other than visually because I'm skinny, I am surprised that they are (IMHO) leaping to that extreme. Again, uninformed, but risk/reward?

edit: having looked at Google I'll retract everything I said except the part about being uninformed. Totally different size and I don't see any heart hookup and implantation looks way less invasive.

Last edited:
Frank; Thank you so much for the response. The info you shared helps a lot. I was afraid that the implanted monitor might feel more invasive than I would want, but it sounds like you did just fine with it. It will be inserted in the top/medial side of my left breast, so I think it may be a bit more than I want to deal with.

If I may ask....what did you choose to do with the results of the monitoring? Do you still have A-Fib?

Thank you Calmloki; Agree totally that implanting a monitor for six months after so few episodes of A-Fib (in my case) seems like a leap. Just one of the reasons I'm hesitant, and thinking about getting a second opinion.

Have had afib for on and off for over 10 years. Have had 7 ablations (yes 7) because the afib always comes back and makes me feel like crap. Still get afib on occasion but it subsides quickly. Dr. says next step may be a pacemaker.

I'd like to echo your sentiment. Getting old sucks!

Frank

Have had afib for on and off for over 10 years. Have had 7 ablations (yes 7) because the afib always comes back and makes me feel like crap. Still get afib on occasion but it subsides quickly. Dr. says next step may be a pacemaker.

Frank

7? Damn! I got a pacer after 3 failed ablations. Perhaps the difference is that my issue is congenital-not age related. Was yours?

Thank you all for your replies. I guess these implanted loop monitors are not as common as I may have thought. Not sure how I feel about that....

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Not thrilled about having this done, but at least if I do not have any A-Fib during the time monitored, I can stop taking the anti-coag meds. The only potential bright light I see at the moment.

Getting old sucks.

I had that uneasy, not sure feeling when I read it. Ask your doc about another 30 says on the event monitor. Ask why is that not as good. I wonder if he is being overly cautious.
In another thread, I mentioned my family physician sent me to a plastic surgeon suggesting I had a lesion on the bridge of my nose, very near my eye. For 2 weeks I had a concern about the difficult area. The plastic surgeon, said, I don't see any thing. I think my family doc was overly cautious because of a condition giving me a weakened immune system. And, the fact that he sent me for the same blood tests 3 times over 6 months before he decided to send me to the cancer doc.

The problem is, if you are the one test that finds a problem, you don't care that there were 1000 unneeded tests done to find yours. But it is a huge cost to society.

7? Damn! I got a pacer after 3 failed ablations. Perhaps the difference is that my issue is congenital-not age related. Was yours?

No, I don't think so. Stress dealing with a personal event is the likely cause.

Thank you Calmloki; Agree totally that implanting a monitor for six months after so few episodes of A-Fib (in my case) seems like a leap. Just one of the reasons I'm hesitant, and thinking about getting a second opinion.

Get a second opinion. You want to be comfortable with your decision.

Thank you again for all the responses.

In the big scheme of health care stuff, getting an implanted loop recorder is pretty minor. I get that. But I am all about quality of life rather than length of life.

I will track down a second opinion, and move forward.

Thank you.

Frank

I have been treated for Afib for about 15 years. My cardiologist has never tried to get me back into regular rhythm via ablations or cardioversions because he said it would keep coming back (Afib). I live with taking blood thinners (Xarelto for many years now) with minimal side effects.

To answer OP question about implanted devices, I do have a pacemaker which was inserted 12 years ago, not related to Afib but due to low heart rate and taking meds for BP. Having it in my upper left chest cavity where your loop monitor would go has caused zero discomfort and never been an issue. I just can’t walk thru metal detectors at airports or large stadiums/ venues and need to be patted down sometimes.

I’m going for a battery replacement for my pacemaker, this week (first time…battery lasted much longer than 8-10 year estimate). Its a simple outpatient procedure that will have me home by lunchtime.

Good luck with your decision.

This all started in June of this year when my gall bladder ruptured, and I became septic. I was admitted to the ICU after having a cholecystectomy, and was very ill for several days. My third day in the ICU I went into atrial fibrillation, and was converted back to normal sinus rhythm with Digoxin. I have never had any cardiac issues prior to this.

I guess you need to understand why your doctor is recommending this implant. You went two weeks with just a few flutters. I don't understand the need for the loop but I'm not a doctor.

I've had paroxysmal A-fib for 20+ years. That just means it comes and goes. So I take a blood thinner and I did wear the two week monitor - with some skipped beats but no A-fib. So, the doc has discussed several options but no major recommendation - except the blood thinner.

SO every year or two I go into A-fib and it lasts about 3 to 6 hours and converts on its own. Last time, I went to the ER because it has been 6 hours. As I waiting for tests to come back, I converted and they sent me home.

If you're not in A-fib 1) All the time or 2) Often in A-fib then I don't see why the doc wants this loop UNLESS you can't tell you're in A-fib. I know it (and I even feel it coming on.)

Only advice is to make your doc explain to you why and what are advantages, disadvantages of the loop implant. I would usually say "do what your doc says" but in this case, I'd really press him/her on WHY.

Good luck! Check back often.

Koolau;
Agree with your comments, and thank you.

The cardiologist did call what I have paroxysmal A-fib, and explained that it is more dangerous than continuous A-fib. It is believed that clots are most likely to be thrown when the heart chambers are under very high pressure when the heart initially contracts ("claps") to return to normal sinus. So the more often it is doing that, the higher possibility of throwing a clot.

I have never had any sensation of anything with my heart. I was unaware in the hospital ICU when I went into A-fib initially. I had no sense of any flutters during the two week monitoring.

I have an appointment for another cardiologist in two weeks. I'll see what they recommend.

Koolau;
Agree with your comments, and thank you.

The cardiologist did call what I have paroxysmal A-fib, and explained that it is more dangerous than continuous A-fib. It is believed that clots are most likely to be thrown when the heart chambers are under very high pressure when the heart initially contracts ("claps") to return to normal sinus. So the more often it is doing that, the higher possibility of throwing a clot.

I have never had any sensation of anything with my heart. I was unaware in the hospital ICU when I went into A-fib initially. I had no sense of any flutters during the two week monitoring.

I have an appointment for another cardiologist in two weeks. I'll see what they recommend.

I never knew I was going into Afib when I had it. However, when I was on the Zio heart rate monitor and was acutely aware of my heart, I pushed the button on the monitor and correctly identified about 80% of the instances of Afib.

OTOH, when I wore the monitor AFTER my ablation procedure, I only pressed the button indicating I thought I was in Afib a few times and I had a 0% success rate. I was never going into Afib.

I think you are doing yourself a great service by getting a second opinion.

Back
Top Bottom