Dental implant and dental coverage

Sitting here waiting until Tues when stiches are removed. I decided to have an implant done after a few years of waiting. The bone has receded a little and a third molar has tilted a little as a result. Fortunately enough is still there for the implant to work. Dental insurance would not cover implants when I was working. Now that I'm retired the cost, about $5k, is still mine since Medicare and Tricare does not cover it either.

The surgeon for the implant and the dentist for the crown are highly recommended so I hope everything works out without any problems. Chewing and discomfort were not an issue. I'm only having it done to prevent further resorption of bone on my lower jaw.

I was really anxious about having it done and the prospect of drilling into my jaw while awake but there was only a minor sting from the novocaine and a little ache later that night. No discomfort after that.

We'll see how the rest of the process works out.

Cheers!

I signed up for dental but I'm not sure it's worth it, either. For one thing they cover nothing but cleaning the first year. Very annoying since I've had continuous dental coverage for decades- it's not like I've got a pile of problems just waiting for a policy to cover them. Most plans cover only 2 cleanings a year. I haven't checked mine. Like you, I have implants and need 4 per year. OTOH, I do have some crowns and a bridge that are always subject to failure, and the occasional cavity. If a tooth under my bridge fails, I'll probably do what I just did when it happened early this year- have the tooth removed and put implants in that space and the one covered by the bridge. In that case, I'll max out the $1,500 coverage and it will be worth it.

As for your question on HSAs- I still have a high deductible plan so will continue contributing to mine and leave what's already in there to accumulate. It's about the best deal you can get tax-wise since the money isn't taxed going in AND it's not taxed coming out as long as it's for covered reasons. Better than a 401(k)!

I was really anxious about having it done and the prospect of drilling into my jaw while awake but there was only a minor sting from the novocaine and a little ache later that night. No discomfort after that.

Wow- yours was done under a local? My oral surgeon uses a general anaesthetic and I'm perfectly happy with that. In my case, though, both times, there were messed-up teeth that needed to be removed before the implants could be placed (decay under a crown of a tooth that had been root-canalled the first time, decay in a tooth holding up a bridge, also root-canalled, the second time). That may be why he used general.

I signed up for dental but I'm not sure it's worth it, either. For one thing they cover nothing but cleaning the first year. Very annoying since I've had continuous dental coverage for decades- it's not like I've got a pile of problems just waiting for a policy to cover them. Most plans cover only 2 cleanings a year. I haven't checked mine. Like you, I have implants and need 4 per year. OTOH, I do have some crowns and a bridge that are always subject to failure, and the occasional cavity. If a tooth under my bridge fails, I'll probably do what I just did when it happened early this year- have the tooth removed and put implants in that space and the one covered by the bridge. In that case, I'll max out the $1,500 coverage and it will be worth it.

As for your question on HSAs- I still have a high deductible plan so will continue contributing to mine and leave what's already in there to accumulate. It's about the best deal you can get tax-wise since the money isn't taxed going in AND it's not taxed coming out as long as it's for covered reasons. Better than a 401(k)!

Is that your post retirement plan?

Does the $1500 max include the cleanings or is it for things outside the normal preventive care?

Some of the ACA plans seem to allow HSA so I guess better late than never to contribute after FIRE.

Is that your post retirement plan?

Does the $1500 max include the cleanings or is it for things outside the normal preventive care?

Some of the ACA plans seem to allow HSA so I guess better late than never to contribute after FIRE.

Yes, that's post-retirement and it's $1,500 for everything (including cleaning), so the insurer's payments are capped no matter what.

My health plan wasn't bought through the exchanges but it's definitely HDHP ($6,300 deductible- ouch) so I can still contribute. It was a conscious decision to get that steep deductible. It's extremely unusual for me to have any claims other than the usual checkups, an immunization or two, and a trip to the Doc-in-a-Box for raging poison ivy.

Went two the dentist for two resin composite fillings yesterday. I have no dental insurance and the bill was $465. Gonna definitely use my HSA for this expense.

Fillings aren't like the past (with silver) as when finished I can't even see any trace of the filling :D

....snip....
Fillings aren't like the past (with silver) as when finished I can't even see any trace of the filling :D

For two resons they look better and the silver amalgam was 50% mercury by weight. I guess they don't generally tell you to replace it just because of mercury. If replacement is needed or new work is done most use resin.

Here's a link to the fda's website about amalgam:

http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/p...es/dentalproducts/dentalamalgam/ucm171094.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom