Dental procedure

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Went to the dentist the other day expecting to get a new cap. A few weeks ago the hygienist spotted some decay under an old cap..
‘Dentist ill just clean up the margins and you make you a new cap.’

Well the dentist has one of those mini c&c machines that makes a new molar in about 15 minutes — amazing stuff.

So his assistant takes a X-ray and bam there is missing bone. He then probes it with one of his torture implements and says see how far that went in... “no doc but i believe you” . “Well i cant put in an implant if there isnt any solid bone” ...Ok i say “what do we do?’

Well he pulled the tooth scraped out the offending punky bone and they packed it with bone growth material and sewed it up. My cost $400. A little sore and a couple ibuprofens for a couple days and I’m good to go.

I have had implants but this grow the bone thing is all new to me? Anybody with a similar experience care to share their experience.

I had receding gum lines, (periodontal disease), and one molar tooth had bone going away also. The dentist ground some of the bone down further to clean things up and filled the area with a bone paste. Your body accepts the paste and turns it into bone again. That's about all I know about it. But it does work and after some time healing and being x-rayed and probed by the dentist the bone and gum are now normal.

I wonder if that can be used for other uses like broken bones, and adding bone to places that has lost calcium?

I've had bone grafts for all 4 of my implants. There's even something they can add to the bone graft material to enhance the chances of it integrating into the jaw, but when I had my last 2 implants the oral surgeon said I didn't need it because the first 2 had integrated so well without the additive.

If you donate blood you may get deferred after a bone graft.

No personal experience but did see a recent ad on TV from a dentist group that described doing implants using a material similar to what you described to speed the procedure up.

As part of my implant procedure I paid a substantial amount to have them stick what was described as "cadaver bone" into my jaw to grow into a proper substrate for the implant. Dunno if that was used due to my resemblance to the butler Lurch from the Adams Family or if they just happened to have a cadaver handy.

As part of my implant procedure I paid a substantial amount to have them stick what was described as "cadaver bone" into my jaw to grow into a proper substrate for the implant. Dunno if that was used due to my resemblance to the butler Lurch from the Adams Family or if they just happened to have a cadaver handy.

The dentist that did mine mentioned the mixed powder was from cadaver bone or sometimes pig bone. I still like ham...

DH had a bridge that totally wiped out bone and prior to his implant did the stem cell injection procedure as he did not want to go either the cadaver or his bone graft route. Very successful.

Before he could get them Dad needed a ton of cadaver bone grafts given his decades of heavy smoking.

Bone growth material is often cadaver bone powder but it could also be calcium phosphate a synthetic material. My bone "grafts" usually healed fine in 4 to 5 months and were ready for drilling the implant screw. Implants have been solid for 8+ years. No complaints.

It's expensive but when teeth are lost and not replaced, the remaining teeth start drifting around and all hell can break loose - albeit very slowly. It's worth it to prevent further problems.

The price paid you paid for the graft was very reasonable. It is just the rest of the grafting process that can be unreasonable.

Pulling a broken tooth and the graft cost me $895. The single implant was to be $2250, and the abutment $500. The final crown will be $850. Total: $4495

I found an out of town dentist to do my implant for $900. Other than waiting for my tooth to numb up, it was a 5-7 minute procedure. The price my oral surgeon charges is indeed excessive. They are just not that difficult for the prices charged.

The price paid you paid for the graft was very reasonable. It is just the rest of the grafting process that can be unreasonable.

Pulling a broken tooth and the graft cost me $895.

I paid $400pull tooth and packing with Bone Paste Not sure yet what my insurance paid... took them about 1/2 hour for the whole procedure..

Had tooth pull back in Dec & the dentist added bone growth "fertilizer" on top of the jaw bone b4 sewing me up. Just today said I'm good to go for implant & replacement tooth. $4200 b4 insurance - whatever that turns out to be.

Back
Top Bottom